Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of replacement photo’s of the Dean Forest Railway at Parkend, in April, 1972. In C904, with a view to the station, you can see how the single line was sandwiched in between a footpath and a road as it made it’s way to the coal sidings as seen, in the distance in the last photo’. It would make an excellent model.

The latest Morpeth photo’s are fascinating, and the first photo’, of a class 40, on a down freight train, in March, 1981, shows the big engine hauling a long freight without any fuss. Just an ordinary everyday working. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The setting of Pirbright Junction, rather like St Mary Cray Junction on the South Eastern, is massively improved by the wooded surroundings, which make a lovely backdrop. And congratulations on capturing a Big EDL (Class 74) in full running order - their reliability was disappointing, to say the least!

These pics are a sobering reminder that the "new" order on the Bournemouth line began more than 55 years ago, 10th July 1967. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

These pics are a sobering reminder that the "new" order on the Bournemouth line began more than 55 years ago, 10th July 1967. 

In one of those interesting thoughts - 1967 was 55 yrs ago but still seems sort-of modern or not too distant.

But 55yrs back from 1967 was 1912! Completely different world which, comparitively, might as well be a different planet!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic set of replacement photo’s of Pirbright Juction on the South Western main lin, as on the 17th April, 1971. In J2599, with class 423 4VEP, 7747, on an up passenger service from Basingstoke to Waterloo, it is nice and newly painted. A change from a weathered unit with bedraggled curtains and stains on the windows which I remember all too clearly.

The mixed bag of photo’s is a delightful selection, and in J483, at Rylstone, with BR class 4mt, 75015, on an up goods train, in April, 1966 , the engine is literally a rust machine. I recall weathering a Mainline model indentically to that, but got into trouble. It was stated that the weathering was too extreme, and I ended up repainting it back into lined black. Memories!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

Looks like the drop off a cliff edge in C17365. Steeper than Werneth or Lickey or Folkestone Harbour Branch.

Great photos.

It's interesting when you are in a train on the hill - one end of the coach is roughly 1metre higher than the other.

David

• Like 2

Then there's the myth that Swiss trains all run on time. They hold trains for connections, as we found out when on a rail trip based near Chur. Luckily they did as we would have missed our connecting train, but the train delayed by the previous one always seemed to arrive at it's destination on time. No doubt some very slack timetabling I should imagine.

Edited by andytrains
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of replacement photo’s of Barking on the LT&SR and LT line. In C3915, with a class 116 unit on a Kentish Town to Barking service, in July, 1978, it can be seen that there is a DMBS coupled onto the three car set to make up four cars. I seem to recall some talk about lash ups to make four car units in the Seventies. I may be wrong.

The latest Switzerland photo’s, from Schindellegi Feusisberg, on the Südostbahn line from Arth Goldau to Pfäffikon, on the 3rd August, 1992, are so scenic and full of atmosphere. In the last photo’ of SOB, BDe4/4, 81, the train has a backdrop of a most steep hill. It is just so different to the UK. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for continuing to upload several times a day.

The Fairbourne one is great. It has never been the same attraction to me since they narrowed the gauge.

Mind you, its future must be rather uncertain now that it has been decided not to protect the coast there from the sea.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a spotter in the early '60s, living in the South, the early 'namer' Peaks always seemed most exotic, and I only saw 2 or 3. So a pic of D4 is very welcome. I did see D1, in blue without the D, a decade later near Trent Junction. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating miscellany set of early preservation photo’s. In C3093, at Quainton Road, with a Peckett, in November, 1976, I hope the engine has been fully restored since that photo’ was taken. So many of these small industrial engines just seem to go into some kind of black hole and never seem to be heard of again. I’m certainly glad that BR did not have any diesel locomotives looking like that Fairbourne example. Sinister is exactly the word for it.;)

The replacement photo’s of Hathern on the Midland Railway between Loughborough and Trent Junction, are truly excellent, and in  the last photo’ of the former station site, with a class 25, on a down test train, in August, 1978, the carriage is a converted Mkl BSK. Indeed that train would make an excellent short train on a model railway.

The ECML in Northumberland photo’s going from south to north are full of interest, and in J9416, at Cramlington, with 43053, leading an up HST in February, 1988, the NER footbridge makes an excellent frame for the power cars photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1