A GWR Signal Box for Diesels in the Duchy

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

I seriously doubt there would have been a pc or the fridge back in the DiTD period but there could well have been a fax machine or even a small input keyboard unit.  In addition there wouldn't have been all the bits of small notice splattered about here there and everywhere - noticeboards were for notices and if they had been put anywhere else nasty visitors like me would have made the Signalman remove them to the right place.  Similarly the gradient chart would have been on a card hung somewhere on the back wall - we didn't like to see anything about which would distract or interfere with the Signalman's line of sight of passing trains.  Another typical feature would be some spare detonators clipped to the block shelf 'X' frame nearest to the 'box stair and doors - a few blobs of teh appropriate coloured paint on the black 'X' frame would do.

No fridge! Where does the poor chap keep his snorkers??

Think I can find a gradient chart somewhere...

(Will tidy the desk up)

PS - any particular model of fax machine?: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fax+machine+1990&rlz=1C1SAVA_enGB502GB502&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Oa-oU8q5G8m57AbQ7oHwAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

• RMweb Premium

Station master better not come and look in my 'box' then :nono:

Isn't it great how we have someone (and others?) that actually know/knew what went on in such places.  :stinker:

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Station master better not come and look in my 'box' then :nono:

Isn't it great how we have someone (and others?) that actually know/knew what went on in such places.  :stinker:

P

Indeed. I think it's great that there are a great number of folk on here that give their time and knowledge to help others. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some things you mustn't forget - kettle, teapot, mug and a cloth for the levers.  :sungum:

Will need to finish the baby Belling first chap. One of the figures that comes with the Springside kit has a cloth in his hand - so that's sorted. 

I'm toying with putting a plate and Cornish pasty on the desk too...and a pork pie...and a large sausage roll...and a jam doughnut 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right;

Usually the fax machines were pretty basic and they only needed to receive - find one to match that criteria I think Chris and you won't go far wrong.

I suppose I'm now going to have to try to find my lever dusters in order to let you see the colour scheme, and I do have a TRB (Train Register Book) available if you need details of that?

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

I seriously doubt there would have been a pc or the fridge back in the DiTD period but there could well have been a fax machine or even a small input keyboard unit.  In addition there wouldn't have been all the bits of small notice splattered about here there and everywhere - noticeboards were for notices and if they had been put anywhere else nasty visitors like me would have made the Signalman remove them to the right place.  Similarly the gradient chart would have been on a card hung somewhere on the back wall - we didn't like to see anything about which would distract or interfere with the Signalman's line of sight of passing trains.  Another typical feature would be some spare detonators clipped to the block shelf 'X' frame nearest to the 'box stair and doors - a few blobs of teh appropriate coloured paint on the black 'X' frame would do.

In many of the boxes I frequented the lack of fridge was overcome by filling the sink with cold water and letting the milk container float in it, refreshing the water occasionally if the temperature was high.

I had a good few year gap between being a pain in the a frequent visitor to the Wirral area boxes (early 1980s was my last regular visit, with occasional visits to the odd box for a few years after) and my next visit in the early 2000s and I was shocked by the proliferation of notices all over the frame / block shelf - don't cause a SPAD, report a SPAD, SPAD, SPAD, SPAD, lovely SPAAAD (with apologies to the Monty Python vikings).

A lovely job Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Smashing stuff Tim, the interior photos are a good 15yrs earlier than any I've seen to date and closer to our modelled period. Looks like the dark blue / pale blue paint scheme I've not long finished should be black and white. Godd to see there's much the same as present day but the floor seems to be Brown lino rather then grey / green carpet tiles. Nice to see the fridge - i just need evidence that it was there a little earlier now to save me cutting the modelled one off the base...

Very interesting, looking forward to seeing them on a bigger screen than my phone!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brown lino was the WR standard Chris - very hard wearing and it would last for years especially if properly looked after.  the main problem with it was having to wash it with paraffin when new to get the grease out of it as it wouldn't take polish unless that was done.

Carpet tiles area fairly recent idea - i think they were always rejected in the past because they were considered dangerous and there was the potetial (sorry) problem of static electricity build-up with many types.

Bravo dear boy. The box is absolutely spot on in my opinion. I wouldn't worry too mauch about lever colours / position etc... Who's going to peer in and question it anyway? (well, me I guess LOL)!

It's a work of art.

Back to Mike's point about 17 FPL. It does lock both ways, but wont lock reverse with the DM signal SB40 off (by the river bridge). This is an old adage to a possible run through damage being minimized to the point blades only, and not taking the FPL with it apparently.

• RMweb Gold

I notice, from Tim V's photos, there are some tennis racquets hanging by the end window - will you be modelling these too ?  And where 's the tennis court they're used on ? 

• RMweb Premium

Bravo dear boy. The box is absolutely spot on in my opinion. I wouldn't worry too mauch about lever colours / position etc... Who's going to peer in and question it anyway? (well, me I guess LOL)!

It's a work of art.

Back to Mike's point about 17 FPL. It does lock both ways, but wont lock reverse with the DM signal SB40 off (by the river bridge). This is an old adage to a possible run through damage being minimized to the point blades only, and not taking the FPL with it apparently.

Thanks chap, praise indeed from someone who has spent many an hour in the box. Are you able to make Barnstaple show in July? - Damian, John and I will be down in the area with TG. I'll bring the box down so folk can have a closer look. 

(PS for those who don't know Craig is our 'tame signalman' that i've referred to a few times in the thread - he's provided a lot of the info used in this build)

I notice, from Tim V's photos, there are some tennis racquets hanging by the end window - will you be modelling these too ?  And where 's the tennis court they're used on ? 

I doubt it would be much of a game as the hitting sticks appear to have big holes in them...

Thanks chap, praise indeed from someone who has spent many an hour in the box. Are you able to make Barnstaple show in July? - Damian, John and I will be down in the area with TG. I'll bring the box down so folk can have a closer look. 

(PS for those who don't know Craig is our 'tame signalman' that i've referred to a few times in the thread - he's provided a lot of the info used in this build)

I doubt it would be much of a game as the hitting sticks appear to have big holes in them...

Not even one as a 'token' gesture .....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a work of art.

Actually it's standard Western locking Graig (or a slight variation of it) - the usual Western practice was 'to lock  two back' as our Chief at Cardiff used to put it, i.e. points would not only lock the running stop signal immediately in rear of and protecting them but would also lock the running signal in rear of that one as well.  Quite possibly dates back to the time of repeating splitting signals which were a particular GWR speciality at one time although they'd almost all gone by 1914 (I've got a list of the last ones stashed safely away) and  yes, I realise they were at facing points but the practice then would have applied at both trailing and facing points.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Minor update... lots of little things have been done. 

I've incorporated some of the info from Tim's photos but couldn't bring myself to rip out bits that were already firmly fixed down. I think it all looks very believably signal boxy from the exterior though. Tennis hitting sticks still to add, some seats and a signalman. Instrument shelf will be fitted last.

post-6675-0-72069500-1403886300_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-37314200-1403886306_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-79538500-1403886314_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-29816500-1403886320_thumb.jpg

Roof has had ridge bits fitted and has been primed. The mini job to fit in this weekend is painting the roof.

post-6675-0-68379800-1403886326_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-10555200-1403886334_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-55736600-1403886345_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-39336200-1403886351_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-60099100-1403886357_thumb.jpg

Must fit the ground floor door at some point...

• Like 10

Minor update... lots of little things have been done. 

I've incorporated some of the info from Tim's photos but couldn't bring myself to rip out bits that were already firmly fixed down. I think it all looks very believably signal boxy from the exterior though. Tennis hitting sticks still to add, some seats and a signalman. Instrument shelf will be fitted last.

attachicon.gifIMAG6098.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG6097.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG6096.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG6095.jpg

Roof has had ridge bits fitted and has been primed. The mini job to fit in this weekend is painting the roof.

attachicon.gifIMAG6094.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG6093.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG6092.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG6091.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG6090.jpg

Must fit the ground floor door at some point...

Even more awesome - er than before!

Been meaning to ask - what is the object circled red in Tim's photo? Is it some sort of heater / fire?

I can re-scan that bit at higher resolution?