A GWR Signal Box for Diesels in the Duchy

And this is the paint scheme I'm going to finish all the woodwork in...off white and black (either that or SR Green).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/6834840921/in/set-72157629212802745

I was really suprised to see that the GWR used a black and white colour scheme but you can'y argue with the prototype !

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

Is it really black? Or is it faded BR(WR) chocolate?

Searching through other period photos (the layout period that is) the colour certainly looks black to me. The window glazing bars look cream, particularly against the panes that have been painted white. 

• RMweb Gold

I was really suprised to see that the GWR used a black and white colour scheme but you can'y argue with the prototype !

Cheers.

Allan.

It is definitely black & white but that pic was taken an awful long time after the GWR (unfortunately) ceased to exist - mid/late 1970s or later.  Chris the glazing bars would definitely have been white when newly painted - that was the 'standard' colour at that time.

• RMweb Premium

It is definitely black & white but that pic was taken an awful long time after the GWR (unfortunately) ceased to exist - mid/late 1970s or later.  Chris the glazing bars would definitely have been white when newly painted - that was the 'standard' colour at that time.

Thanks Mike, black and white it is then!

(That will upset Robin)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, black and white it is then!

(That will upset Robin)

Not at all.If it's prototypical so be it.Just a thought that this black and white paint job matches the Kernow/Cornish flag.

• RMweb Premium

I should have said in my last post that the box is one very smart bit of work. Fancy a commission to do the Seaton Junction Box? It's 4mm and SR........ :mail:

P

Dear Confused Pirate Duck,

I love building buildings but I can say with hand on heart that signal boxes have to be my least favourite type of building. With fingers severely crossed, I sincerely hope that I'll only have to do two more before I'm 50... (1 for Pencarrow and the 2nd for another project that's in the wings). 

Mind you Seaton Jct box looks nice and, if you moved to 7mm, you could get one in kit form: http://www.ogaugemodelbuildings.com/#/seaton-junction-signal-box/4546314288

• RMweb Premium

Well today I managed to get out at lunchtime to the not very local Hobbycraft and buy a tin of matt varnish and a black tube of paint. The varnish is because of the simple fact that, being water soluble and never really setting, the gouache paint comes off on your hands when handling the model. A quick waft with the spray and the paint is sealed.

post-6675-0-91596500-1403028445_thumb.jpg

Here's the tubes of paint in case anyone else considers using them and the colours I've used so far are: Paynes grey, Zinc White, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna and Indian Red. 

post-6675-0-43845400-1403028452_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-29101900-1403028459_thumb.jpg

I also dropped into Halfords tonight and picked up a big can of grey primer, as I seem to use loads of it working in 7mm on Pencarrow, and a can of white primer to spray up all the window assemblies. Suitably stocked up we can continue....

The windows and one door to the locking room have all been fitted  a quick dab of Zap super glue to start with. Once I'm happy with the build the windows will be trapped in place with plastic frames fixed inside the shell. That should stop them coming loose when bouncing around in the DitD transport trailer! The varnish coat has subtly changing the colouring - almost reducing the contrast between colours. Worth noting for future use.

post-6675-0-61824600-1403028427_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-52158500-1403028433_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-44607300-1403028412_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-73226100-1403028420_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-51935100-1403028439_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-72646200-1403028466_thumb.jpg

Another job has been started, fitting the two upper windows to the rear of the building. This was going to be just a rough and ready mounting, but I've decided to model the outside frames on the rear of the building. I doubt it will ever be seen but I'll know it's there.

post-6675-0-15891700-1403028473_thumb.jpg

Perhaps this move was to further postpone working on the main box windows...

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That is true craftsmanship mate. Thanks for the decline anyway.  I was only pullin' your tired ole leg as ye well knaws.

P

P.S. I have seen the 7mm Honiton Box - beautiful model. Presumably a one off, hand built jobby and not a kit?

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I've a load of progress photos to upload but in the meantime, here's a sneak preview of where I'm up to with the box...

post-6675-0-19523200-1403213133_thumb.jpg

As an experiment I tried marking the black uprights on the RHS using a permanent black pen I had. Looked great...until I used a brush to get rid of some filing dust. The black ink wasn't quite dry and dragged. I think the idea is sound though so i'll use it when the box is finished.

Still lots of fiddly bits to add, oh and the interior and the rear windows, but it's getting there.

That's all for now folks...

(ps doing the windows has been a hateful job) 

• Like 8

As an experiment I tried marking the black uprights on the RHS using a permanent black pen I had.

Just a small caution with that Chris - don't paint over it, especially with acrylic paint, as it will bleed through. Sometimes months after the model is finished. I won't say how i know....

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Just a small caution with that Chris - don't paint over it, especially with acrylic paint, as it will bleed through. Sometimes months after the model is finished. I won't say how i know....

Keith

Thanks for the tip Keith - do you think it will bleed through a coat of varnish? 

• RMweb Premium

Its looking even better than I imagined it would...And I imagined it would be spot-on !

Thanks Mickey, got through quite a lot of different sections of plastic strip this evening - the chopper (bladed cutter not class 20) came in very useful. Top tip though, don't reach under the blade as even a brush will end up in a sliced finger. Took me a while though to work out why/how my white plasticard was getting discoloured! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip Keith - do you think it will bleed through a coat of varnish?

If you mean varnish then paint on top of that, I'm not sure as I've never tried it. Acrylic varnish on top of acrylic paint? Yes, it will (although to qualify that, it may be that it just bled through the paint, but as the varnish was clear, then you could obviously see it. So it may not have actually bled through the varnish) I rarely use enamels these days, so don't know how badly they would be affected, but marker pens do bleed through Halfords primer & top coats, as we found out when working on the inside of our Mini!

That signal box looks brilliant....!!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Modelling of the highest order young man.

Thanks D

Should be strong enough to withstand being sat on by cats too! ;-p

The aim is to have it done for your next outing with DitD - don't fancy putting it in the post though!

• Like 2