Anyone care to guess how many of the levers are:

Red

Red with white stripe

Red & yellow

Blue

Black

Missing?

(PS I do know the answer)

See the previous post ;) (is No1. red over yellow then instead of completely red - ah, so it is, and don't forget it has a shortened handle and that's not the only one in the frame).

PS I'll leave the white stripes for someone else as the answer is, ahmm, 'easy' 

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Actually 38 -  as there were 3 spaces.  15 of the levers were white in the DiTD period - leaving 1 x blue, 5 x black, and 17 x red.  

Mike

Glad you said 3 spaces - are these by any chance 12, 20 and 35? 

From photos taken 2yrs ago I've got:

15 white: 5 6 8 10 11 18 19 22 23 25 29 30 32 33  & 37

1 blue: 16

5 black: 14 17 24 28 & 31

17 red: 1 2 3 4 7 9 13 15 21 26 27 34 36 38 39 40 & 41 

Of the reds.. level 1 is red & yellow and levers 7 13 & 36 red with a white stripe.

Does this match your info and does your source say what centres the levers are at? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

See the previous post ;) (is No1. red over yellow then instead of completely red - ah, so it is, and don't forget it has a shortened handle and that's not the only one in the frame).

PS I'll leave the white stripes for someone else as the answer is, ahmm, 'easy' 

10 points that man!

Red and yellow: combined home and distant?

Red with white band: lever released from another box?

• RMweb Gold

Mike

Of the reds.. level 1 is red & yellow and levers 7 13 & 36 red with a white stripe.

Does this match your info and does your source say what centres the levers are at? 

Are you scratchbuilding the frame or are you using the Springside kit.

• RMweb Premium

Are you scratchbuilding the frame or are you using the Springside kit.

A bit of both. I had one in stock anyway, so I've been through it to see what's usable on this build. Certainly the levers and majority of instruments but all else will be scratch. Could do with another five levers though and an extra section of the lever base frame. Typical!

I won't be using the 'zombie' white metal figure provided - Craig (the signalman) would be most offended! 

• RMweb Gold

Could do with another five levers though and an extra section of the lever base frame. Typical!

I won't be using the 'zombie' white metal figure provided - Craig (the signalman) would be most offended! 

Extra levers and frames are available from Springside or Gaugemaster as you are already probably aware.

• RMweb Gold

Some of his colleagues might be flattered, though... :O  :P

No, of course not, certainly not these days, oh no Guv, I wouldn't say that, it wasn't me, I wasn't there... :D

• RMweb Gold

Let Craig know, if you see him on your travels, that I'm finally doing his signal box. 

Certainly will, two site meetings in the Duchy with Craig and others in as many weeks...! (Treviscoe last Monday, St. Blazey next week)...

• RMweb Premium

Certainly will, two site meetings in the Duchy with Craig and others in as many weeks...! (Treviscoe last Monday, St. Blazey next week)...

All I need now is a period photo of Craig to go in the box...

• RMweb Gold

Mike

It almost matches (my source is wrong on the white levers as it happens!) - your info matches the frame itself I believe.

10 points that man!

Red and yellow: combined home and distant?

Red with white band: lever released from another box?

Red above yellow = combined stop signal and 'distant' signal (actually a repeater in effect)

A white band indicates a lever which is electrically released from another 'box (or treadle in some cases) - in this case by the block at 'Line Clear'

My source says the levers are at 5.25inch centres - which does sound a bit big to me but it is basically an old frame.  The floorplates on the frame itself are exactly matched for style by the Springside kit (which was fairly accurately modelled on the same type of GW frame but possibly the lever centres might be different).   Don't for get to leave the blue lever standing in the reverse position - unless you have 39 standing reverse ;)

Hi Chris,

Just been catching up on your build of the signal box.  It looks superb in the photos and will hopefully get to see it in the flesh, when its on DitD if I get to see it again in the south.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info on the roof.

For the brackets, if you use strip plasticard lengthways to make up the required profile, you could then cut slices off equal to the width of each one.

You'd have to make sure all the strips were glued well alomg all their length, but the Chopper should be able to cut through.

0.5mm I think - actually whatever was to hand at the time!

Thanks. I made a signal box roof, using similar construction methods to yours, but found after a while the edges started curling up. I think though it was probably because I made my slates from plasticard and used plastic weld to fix them to the roof!