Ask Dave

DJM Dave

Hello Dave, and Season's Greetings,

I hope that I have placed my noddy question/problem in a suitable part of the Forum.

I am now the proud owner of a K2105 and K2107. Both seem to perform properly on an analogue controller. However on DCC using a ZTC 505 Unit (which seems to be fully serviceable) both give immediate shortcircuit indications (system overload).

I  guess/very much hope that removal of the blanking plug, and fitting a decoder in the normal way will solve the problem, but before I attempt to travel this route I should value your advice.

Many thanks in advance,

Peter B

Hi Peter and seasons greetings to you too.

Can you elaborate, are you testing your locos on DCC using the configuration right out of the box on the pseudo 00 setting on your controller?

Please confirm.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Peter and seasons greetings to you too.

Can you elaborate, are you testing your locos on DCC using the configuration right out of the box on the pseudo 00 setting on your controller?

Please confirm.

Cheers

Dave

Hello Dave,

Yes, I am testing the locos on DCC straight out of the box. The controller trips instantaneously, and there is no time to code in "00". The controller functions correctly with the rest of my (small) loco fleet; a mix of r-t-r and a couple of kit-builds.

Thanks, and still Happy Christmas!!

Peter

Hello Dave,

Yes, I am testing the locos on DCC straight out of the box. The controller trips instantaneously, and there is no time to code in "00". The controller functions correctly with the rest of my (small) loco fleet; a mix of r-t-r and a couple of kit-builds.

Thanks, and still Happy Christmas!!

Peter

Hi Pete,

I'm sure I'll be corrected here but putting a non decoder fitted loco onto a dcc system is problematic.

I certainly would never ever advise it.

One expert in retailing DCC systems, likened using normal motored loco's on dcc on 00 setting as ruining the motor due to the 2 steps forward and 1 step back on motor part revolutions.

Now knowing this, you've possibly put the loco onto live 16v track, as the decoder blocks power to the motor until it's assigned and I think the track is always live.

This could, I suppose, give you your problem with using a cordless motor.

As I said, I'd never ever recommend using a non fitted loco on dcc under the 00 setting, let alone just plonking it onto the track as the track is live at all times.

I may be wrong and invite corrections for the benefit of us all.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Dave

Hi Pete,

I'm sure I'll be corrected here but putting a non decoder fitted loco onto a dcc system is problematic.

I certainly would never ever advise it.

One expert in retailing DCC systems, likened using normal motored loco's on dcc on 00 setting as ruining the motor due to the 2 steps forward and 1 step back on motor part revolutions.

Now knowing this, you've possibly put the loco onto live 16v track, as the decoder blocks power to the motor until it's assigned and I think the track is always live.

This could, I suppose, give you your problem with using a cordless motor.

As I said, I'd never ever recommend using a non fitted loco on dcc under the 00 setting, let alone just plonking it onto the track as the track is live at all times.

I may be wrong and invite corrections for the benefit of us all.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Dave

Thank you Dave; exemplary after-sales service! The problem has now been solved.

I have just swapped the dummy chip for a DCC23 (from Gaugemaster) and my new K2107 immediately behaved perfectly, smooth and silent. I shall postpone fixing K2105 until tomorrow, then have a dual running-in session for them both.

Err, now about these Gate Stock pairs.........

Peter B.

Thank you Dave; exemplary after-sales service! The problem has now been solved.

I have just swapped the dummy chip for a DCC23 (from Gaugemaster) and my new K2107 immediately behaved perfectly, smooth and silent. I shall postpone fixing K2105 until tomorrow, then have a dual running-in session for them both.

Err, now about these Gate Stock pairs.........

Peter B.

Lol, not tonight Peter, I've been a good boy today and am just about to start my first drink of Christmas, so to save me slurring my answers I'll defer for another day

Well, you know, sometimes, if you can afford it, you go buy something you wouldn't normally be able to.

My dream is a 76 in N, simple.

Now it's unlikely to lose money (obviously what I buy for and sell for are poles apart) and as such I know a break even figure.

However, if I sold 1000 units over, say 4 years, I could live with that financially when the time came.

Like I said, altruistic, sometimes (and this may be the case in point) your heart will lead your head.

I rather fancy a MSW layout, or depot ( anyone got scale plans for Reddish).

Please remember, this won't happen tomorrow or the day after. I'm quite clear on that.

Cheers

Dave

I think I'll start saving just in case it happens ,I aswell would love a woodhead themed layout in N gauge

Thanks

Brian

Question from me, would you consider modern models for the DJM range? For example the 323 electric EMU or the 319? Plenty of liveries to chose from on both ;)

Hi,

I would if I could make a reasonable business plan for them.

I wouldn't be interested unless I could break even on the tooling quite quickly, and go into profit at least reasonably soon after.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Thanks and the same back to you.

At present no, as the 17 and 23 are too far gone to look at in that department.

However I will look at this type of decoder if, and it's a big if, it takes off commercially instead of the 6pin decoder that we all use at the moment.

Any decoder will obviously have to do the job, but for things like a j94 of the Hudswell Clarke its superfluous and as such 6 pins will still remain.

or maybe a very cheap (under a tenner) 4 pin would be better for this small locos? (just thinking about loud now).

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

What is the story with the N Gauge wagons at present? Are they like the Class 17 et al where you said you would only be making sufficient numbers to cover pre-orders/expressions of interest?

If so can we pre-order now?

Thanks

Scott

Dave,

What is the story with the N Gauge wagons at present? Are they like the Class 17 et al where you said you would only be making sufficient numbers to cover pre-orders/expressions of interest?

If so can we pre-order now?

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott,

The mermaid and shark can be ordered right now from your DJM stockists.

Yes I'll only be making what I have ordered plus a few extra for replacements etc.

Cheers

Dave

A class 76 in N gauge. I will have 1 of them I don't model in n but love woodhead electrics & will have 1 for the cabinet.

I know the feeling,i model in N these days but i couldn`t resist an Olivias trains 00 EM1 for the same reason.

Ray.

Sorry If I am being silly here/ have misread but is it correct that the N gauge wagons need to be pre-ordered if I want to get my hands on any?

I have checked the DJM website and it has an expressions of interest page but these do not feature and a quick google search/ check of the big modelshop websites do not appear to give details of the products yet.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sorry If I am being silly here/ have misread but is it correct that the N gauge wagons need to be pre-ordered if I want to get my hands on any?

I have checked the DJM website and it has an expressions of interest page but these do not feature and a quick google search/ check of the big modelshop websites do not appear to give details of the products yet.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi Mark,

All DJM stockists were sent order forms for the Mermaid and Shark at the start of December.

It may be, and there's no obligation for them to do so, that they don't want to stock those wagons.

It would be disappointing if so, but I'm not in this to twist their arms to stock my products, they can pick and choose what they want, if they want.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

I have to concur with this. I've just been through the DJM websites list of stockists (all the one's where websites are quoted anyway) and the only one I could find that has them listed but without a price is Invicta Model Rail. It does let you order them too. Order accepted but everything charged at £0.00 at present complete with e-mailed confirmation.

I looked at the websites of 22 other listed stockists but there was no reference to any DJM wagons and many didn't even mention DJM at all. I assume you have to make a telephone or e-mail enquiry for these and any that don't run a website.

Dave - Is there a deadline by which you are going to count up the pre-orders and make a commitment to the factory?

Amusingly though, on Gaugemaster's website if you search on Mermaid you do literally get model mermaids!

Hope that helps someone.

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Premium

on Gaugemaster's website if you search on Mermaid you do literally get model mermaids!

You certainly do.  One of them has taken up residence on my beach scene among the rocks!

mermaid and sharks

Hmmmm ...... do I need a shark?  And if so do I need one in the water or ten out of the water ;)