Ask Dave

DJM Dave

If it's something like BR blue or green etc then it will match known and accepted standard colours or rolling stock and locos by other manufacturers.

Farish BR Blue or Dapol BR Blue?? :scratchhead:

Dave. You have an impressive and ever increasing order book for new models from various sources which and it is truly amazing what you have achieved so far.

My question is how are you going to avoid the supply issues that have plagued Hornby and other manufactures over the last few years?

Wishing you every success for the future

Nigel

Dave. You have an impressive and ever increasing order book for new models from various sources which and it is truly amazing what you have achieved so far.

My question is how are you going to avoid the supply issues that have plagued Hornby and other manufactures over the last few years?

Wishing you every success for the future

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the mail and its a good question.

Right now? I can handle all,that's on the books and more.

However as some of these are on a longer gestatin period that's others, it's going to be down ( DJM items you understand) to cash flow as well, as my business plan is based on 1=2 , and 2=4 in the growth of the business.

However, my clients know what they want and when they want it, and I don't have a problem (that I foresee) with supply issues for the next 18 months.

What really bothers me are the now 6 monthly price rises out of China and the need to look elsewhere sooner rather than later for cheap tooling and workforce to be able to keep models within an affordable price.

There's been 2 major price rises since I started and a third on the way. Sooner or later I'm going to have to consider raising my RRP as otherwise, the altruistic attitude I have right now ( of absorbing the price rises at the expense of quicker growth) will hurt.

Anyway, enough of my woes ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,   Have you any input with the Kernow D6XX.

Regards,  Keith.

Hi Keith,

Not yet, but I will.

At the moment, what you might have seen at Warley, and will see on this site soon is the first cad/cams from the large scale model, reduced to OO gauge.

Chassis design etc is relatively easy, but that's no good unless the body is as good as we can do it. So at the moment, that's where Kernow and I will look carefully, and get changes made. Once Keenow is happy with that, then I'll concentrate more on the chassis and the little details I can add to what could be a superb model.

Cheers

Dave

Hi mate,

I can't due to commercial considerations and contractual clauses put anything here regarding development stages of models for my clients.

I'll obviously do so once I have permission as we go along.

With regards to my items, they will be updated here and in the 'timeline' section of my website.

If you go there and there's no info, at least you know that (for a change) I have nothing to say! Lol ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

When following what has been happening regarding the D6XX project it looks like an injection mould tool was produced to 00 gauge. The photos of the mouldings that are on Kernows website of the nose sections look pretty good, there's a photo of a complete body as well which looks like a moulding. Is the work that has been done on this front now being rejected as the large scale model that was made is now being scanned or has been scanned to work off. In other words are you starting the tooling from scratch or are you adding to the tooling that has been started.

This project really interests me - thanks

Regards and best wishes

Stuart

Hi Dave

When following what has been happening regarding the D6XX project it looks like an injection mould tool was produced to 00 gauge. The photos of the mouldings that are on Kernows website of the nose sections look pretty good, there's a photo of a complete body as well which looks like a moulding. Is the work that has been done on this front now being rejected as the large scale model that was made is now being scanned or has been scanned to work off. In other words are you starting the tooling from scratch or are you adding to the tooling that has been started.

This project really interests me - thanks

Regards and best wishes

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the post.

The bits you saw were actually O gauge parts, for the master model. They were then incorporated into the bodyshell etc, to form a master.

The master then used to produce a mould for the Loco body, and this was one of the castings that was sent to China for copying and reducing to OO gauge.

Chris figured, as did I, that if you can get a loco to look that good in O then it should look excellent in OO gauge right? Well almost as there are a few things that need adjusting on the cad/cam as both Chris and I aren't happy with them, but they are not too onerous.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

A question about the reality of the so-called "Shrink Ray".

How much easier is it (in terms of time and cost) to produce an N-gauge model once you've already done the CAD work for the 00-gauge version?  Judging by the way models tend to appear in multiple scales from the same manufacturers, I assume it's cheaper to produce an N-gauge version of something you've already done in 00 than do something brand new from scratch. But by how much?

Dave

If, as been hinted at, Hornby unveil a Q6 on 17th December and that has a potential release on early next year, which is entirely feasible as they could have been working on this for 18 months or more, would you still continue with your proposed version? Hornby have a good track record of occasionally dropping a bombshell.

Cheers

Shane

Dave

If, as been hinted at, Hornby unveil a Q6 on 17th December and that has a potential release on early next year, which is entirely feasible as they could have been working on this for 18 months or more, would you still continue with your proposed version? Hornby have a good track record of occasionally dropping a bombshell.

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane,

Great question and one I can't answer until they do.

However 'if' they do I will be commenting ;-)

Cheers

Dave

All these Kernow commissions you have, do you have any ability to use their IP to produce N gauge models of some of them under DJM.

It would be shame not to have a 1361, 02, Well Tank or 116/7 in N gauge and whilst they sit as special commissions in OO I don't see Dapol or Bachmann doing anything about it.

All these Kernow commissions you have, do you have any ability to use their IP to produce N gauge models of some of them under DJM.

It would be shame not to have a 1361, 02, Well Tank or 116/7 in N gauge and whilst they sit as special commissions in OO I don't see Dapol or Bachmann doing anything about it.

Hi mate,

Something I've talked to Kernow about in the past, but the disposition of their I.P. Is confidential I'm afraid.

Sorry

Cheers

Dave

That sounds a little better than a NO and possibly leaves open the opportunity to do something under one brand or the other

I understand the agreements are confidential and that equally none of the above might ever see the light of day in N under either branding.

If it helps, Kernow are my favourite commissioning company :)

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

Let's ask Dave this question then:

Dear Dave, what is your estimate of the return on investment ratio between an OO model and an N model of the same subject, first two years sales say? No money value, jus the ratio. I'll guess it's around 10:1 , with a best outcome expectation of 5:1.

Entirely separate to Dave's discussions, I have in the past asked Kernow if they would be willing to consider commissioning N gauge versions of their 00 models and the answer has always been a polite but firm "No". They said they were willing to consider letting others use their IP subject to satisfactory terms but that they had no intention of doing so themselves.

Any information that Dave may have in addition to this is naturally confidential but sadly I would not expect to see N Gauge versions of any of the Kernow models in the foreseeable future. :(

Looking at all the big Southern engines in the process of being made then there has to be a market for a smaller item to go with them so I would hope an O2 has a chance plus there is a good market for N gauge WR transition and blue periods so a 117 would do ok.

I can accept a Beattie Well Tank and a 1361 are a very long shot.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Phil,

Cheers for that.

As I alluded to in my DJMusings of the other week, I never turned an offer down after that time I missed out on the Brannigan car.

However I didn't say how dumb I was to get something and not keep it!

When they filmed the James Bond movie 'The Spy Who Loved Me' , I was given the 12ft fibreglass model of #593 the American submarine you see escaping from the supertanker at the end. It was just lying there on the back lot as I wandered by one day.

Lovely model, you could lift it with 1 hand easily, and I had that and loads of spent tracer bullets from the final 'in tanker' shoot out.

I was also offered the tracking ball that JB sits on to get the explosives to the sealed metal doors inside the tanker, a full size fibreglass she'll of the Lotus Esprit ( yes that one). I said yes, but when I went back 3 days later to get them they were gone, leaving me with just the bullets and submarine model which I kept For 3/4 years before selling.

I often wonder what it would be worth today. Lol

• Like 1