Ask Dave

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

bigherb

Thanks for that. Strangely the first time I looked Kernow was not listed, only the other 3. Next time I looked Kernow had appeared.

Thanks

Roger

It's possible that you looked in at the precise time the material was being moved.  Taken down from one place and not yet put up in another.

• RMweb Premium

bigherb

Thanks for that. Strangely the first time I looked Kernow was not listed, only the other 3. Next time I looked Kernow had appeared.

Thanks

Roger

It's possible that you looked in at the precise time the material was being moved.  Taken down from one place and not yet put up in another.

I had that too - no KMRC listed when I first brought up the RMWeb page, but once I was logged in KMRC magically appeared with the other three. One for AndyY methinks...

I had that too - no KMRC listed when I first brought up the RMWeb page, but once I was logged in KMRC magically appeared with the other three. One for AndyY methinks...

I found the same, now sorted: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102078-retailer-commissions-section-kernow-models-only-appears-when-im-signed-in/&do=findComment&comment=1984629

• Like 1

Hi Dave. Are you able to give any further reports on the progress of the king? Revised CAD stage, pre production stage etc.

Hi mate,

I'm sorry but I'm contractually obliged to not give updates on this project here.

My client will be giving press releases to Andy of this parish as and when they wish to.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

As someone who obviously has a good handle on the model railway market perhaps you could enlighten me? Having looked enviously at the forthcoming O Gauge Heljan Falcon I wondered what your views were about the economic viability of producing it in N? (Yes I model N and want one...in blue.....and one in green! Could never make up my mind!)

Is it viable in O because the market is bigger than N or the profit margins better because people are prepared to pay significantly more or is it a bit of both? The success of O never ceases to amaze me, especially for prototypes such as Falcon which, some would say, already had a limited number of admirers and/or modelling eras/regions.

Apologies if the relativities of the O and N gauge markets have been discussed before!

Thanks

Tony

I note the Kernow O2 is being delivered over a span of a few months.

Does this mean the severalteen varieties of the J94 (including commissions) will appear spread over a period of a few months also?

My wallet is hoping the answer might be yes....

Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Dave.

I realise you probably can't answer but will try anyway. I was going through the CADs for the King again and noticed that it appears the front coupling pocket is attached to the underside of the front running plate as oppose to the bogie in pic 1. If so, will it be a similar sort of set up to Pic 2 like the Hornby Class 50/60 or something different?

post-7482-0-41339000-1442302976_thumb.jpg

post-7482-0-44484300-1442302988_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Does this mean the severalteen varieties of the J94 (including commissions) will appear spread over a period of a few months also?

Les

I'm hoping the same for the Kings Les. I have all the BR ones on preorder.

Hi there,

I think you mentioned a business trip to Scotland.

Will there be any further information about this ?

Thanks.

Pete M.

Hi Pete,

it depends if things get agreed and a contract signed, plus if my possible client would like exclusivity on press releases etc.

I'd imagine that if this comes to fruition then things will be public domain very quickly.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave.

Are you likely to be at the Warley show this year with a stand ?

Thanks

Hi,

No, not this year, but i'm hoping to do a raft of shows next year as 'things' happen regarding development , announcements, delivery etc.

cheers

Dave

Les

Then the answer is YES  :locomotive:

Hi Dave

As someone who obviously has a good handle on the model railway market perhaps you could enlighten me? Having looked enviously at the forthcoming O Gauge Heljan Falcon I wondered what your views were about the economic viability of producing it in N? (Yes I model N and want one...in blue.....and one in green! Could never make up my mind!)

Is it viable in O because the market is bigger than N or the profit margins better because people are prepared to pay significantly more or is it a bit of both? The success of O never ceases to amaze me, especially for prototypes such as Falcon which, some would say, already had a limited number of admirers and/or modelling eras/regions.

Apologies if the relativities of the O and N gauge markets have been discussed before!

Thanks

Tony

Hi,

Good question and one i do think long and hard about.

I once thought no, the market isnt big enough, but with rising prices at RRP, it is just possible that any manufacturer might find a niche in doing N gauge 'one off' loco's.

Its certainly true that i am keeping a watch on the situation though.

O gauge is a slightly different case in point. I think that the right product at the right price will sell. However i also think that £600+ for a co co locomotive is something any manufacturer who wishes to can cut severely to around £400 and still make full margin right down the line (excuse the pun).

However if this never happens, you cant blame the manufacturer if the buying public don't object, and become used to what i consider higher prices as standard. Anyone who can then manufacture at a low price and sell high is onto a winner, that's for sure.

Cheers

Dave

What's the chances of you producing a GWR Castle to the same level of detail as the King for Hattons? Be great to have those two in ultra detail!

Trouble with the Castle is that the current Hornby offering is already pretty good. Whilst I do not doubt that Dave could improve on it if he set his mind to it, the question is how much it would cost and how many people would upgrade from their current ones. My guess is that the market for a super-Castle is probably not enough to justify the tooling costs. Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trouble with the Castle is that the current Hornby offering is already pretty good. Whilst I do not doubt that Dave could improve on it if he set his mind to it, the question is how much it would cost and how many people would upgrade from their current ones. My guess is that the market for a super-Castle is probably not enough to justify the tooling costs.

Yeah i have to agree with you there. Maybe a few years down the track once the Hornby one is 10 years +

• 4 weeks later...