The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

As luck would have it, the vicar presented George with some 1974 Modern Railways that he had been charged with the task of disposing of kindly ;)

Anyway, there it is December 1974, 25p with APT-E on the front cover.

Added to the library :)

I am tempted by this as I am sure it would be a nice loco to have I am just worried that my expectations on finish might be to high .... have they produced a painted version yet or are they still working on the tooling ?

• RMweb Gold

Well I'd suggest inspecting a Realtrack pacer as they were produced by Rapido, that should allay any fears on finish. Jason's reputation is built on high end models with exact detail in his home Canadian market so I doubt he will depart from that in getting this 'right' ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe nobody has posted this here yet.

More silliness from Jason and Co.......

http://youtu.be/o1SF3uJdzQ0

I'd like to add what others have said about the detail and build quality of Rapido products. I've got around 30 pieces including locos, dummy locos, and coaches. Detail is beyond extreme in some instances but that just adds to the wow factor. Locos run far better straight out of the box than any Hornby or Bachmann I've ever owned.

edit: fix url so the video displays. Yippee.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Can't believe nobody has posted this here yet.

More silliness from Jason and Co.......

https://youtu.be/o1SF3uJdzQ0

I'd like to add what others have said about the detail and build quality of Rapido products. I've got around 30 pieces including locos, dummy locos, and coaches. Detail is beyond extreme in some instances but that just adds to the wow factor. Locos run far better straight out of the box than any Hornby or Bachmann I've ever owned.

Having seen Andrews Rapido Canadian train in the flesh, I second that the Rapido models are superb.

Are you Brining your Rapido locos with you to Rotarail?

Having seen Andrews Rapido Canadian train in the flesh, I second that the Rapido models are superb.

Are you Brining your Rapido locos with you to Rotarail?

I was planning on having my pair of GMD-1s invade the yard on Roundhouse. I can bring the FP7s and coaches as well.

• RMweb Premium

Just watched the video of the second sample running along with cyber men commentary. The sound is excellent the close coupling and tilt mechanism are looking good. All bodes well for a spectacular model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant model, brilliant video. Refreshing to see a manufacturer with a great sense of humor. Good to hear the sound, especially after Bif talked about it at Ally Pally. Can't wait to recieve mine.

• RMweb Premium

I can just hear Mike's wife saying that, too. (see closing credits)

Now, if he'd just brought it to an operating session, we would have tested it for endurance.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 1

Jason sent those of us on the 'Consultancy Team'  :no: a link to that vid a day or so ago, and watching the opening shots of the train coming around the curve was amazing! I felt as if I was standing at Wigston Jct. during the work up for our 1 hour run to Leicester, apart from the lack of signal box in the background the viewing angle and height was spot on.

Looking forward to seeing it at York on Saturday, but I expect lots of people will want to 'borrow' it to run on their layouts during the show!  :no:

• Like 3

Having had a good look at this at the York show today my order has been placed ...... even at this stage the detail is fantastic and i can't wait for the interior to be detail to be completed.

Edited by Anthony566

An absolute pleasure meeting the chaps behind the model on Saturday, the 'OO' APT-E is just astounding in the flesh, and the sound chip isn't half bad either ;) Funny sound for a Western to make, but rule one applies haha. I was the chap (kid?) in the 5972 shirt and could have stayed there listening about the APT development program all day

Cheers,

We're working on Biffo to re-paint the Western in silver with a blue stripe.  :no:

A VERY tiring two days at York so far, I've never slept so well at night! And one more to go tomorrow, for goodness sake! It was great to meet some of you guys for real, I'm always pleased to 'spread the APT word'.

• Like 2

Could not believe my eyes when I stumbled across this quite by chance. Many, many, years ago I planned to make one for my Metalwork 'O' Level project until I was talked out of it!! And that was after I took lots of pictures at the NRM, printed them to scale to help create the drawings I needed.

Anyway, read all the comments (well most, there is a lot here :-)) and looked at Rapidos fine models, and I've just taken the plunge....

....it's the only way I'll ever have of owning a model of this fabulous train.

• RMweb Gold

We're working on Biffo to re-paint the Western in silver with a blue stripe.  :no:

A VERY tiring two days at York so far, I've never slept so well at night! And one more to go tomorrow, for goodness sake! It was great to meet some of you guys for real, I'm always pleased to 'spread the APT word'.

I was there in body on Easter Sunday, but having travelled from Myrtle Beach overnight, I wasn't at my best,  so apologies Kit if a bloke in a blue jacket seemed to 'blank' you on Sunday afternoon, but I was nearly asleep. I'm really looking forward to receiving my APT-E.