The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

I would rather it be spot on, than rushing it for the sake of a few weeks. 

I doubt many of these will be from Santa for the kiddies, probably more from 'Santa' to self ;)

Absolutely. Far better its released all guns blazing than firing blanks. 

The factory reports that the APT-Es should all leave China by the end of January, unless there is an unforeseen delay.

Bill was just in China and will give a detailed report of his visit, which was mostly concerning the APT-E.  The rivets look incredible. We're using a new method for doing rivets which is far finer and far more reliable than any other method we've used, and it shows. And no, I'm not telling you how it's done!   :no:

-Jason

• Like 2

The factory reports that the APT-Es should all leave China by the end of January, unless there is an unforeseen delay.

Bill was just in China and will give a detailed report of his visit, which was mostly concerning the APT-E.  The rivets look incredible. We're using a new method for doing rivets which is far finer and far more reliable than any other method we've used, and it shows. And no, I'm not telling you how it's done!   :no:

-Jason

Great news Jason. I'm looking forward to counting each and every one! :D

Guy

-Jason

I hope Bill has the sizes of the rivet heads correct.

He noted that there were at least three different sizes that we'd used when he was measuring them at Shildon......  :D

Does that mean you have gone back to the original correctly spaced rivet layout or Rapido's modified rivet layout?

Just for interest.

We've modified it. The original rivet placement was physically impossible to do in 4mm scale.

But there are still about 40,000 rivets on the trailer car.  If that isn't enough for some guys, they should cancel their orders....  :sungum:

-Jason

• Like 2

Jason any update on the request for purchasing extra seating interiors so that those running extra coaches can have full seating instead of half seating?

If this was a straight Rapido product, there would be no problem. But the APT-E is for Locomotion and consequently we're not carrying any stock.

So your best bet is to speak with Sandra at Locomotion and let her know you would like to buy the interiors of any trailer cars that come back for warranty purposes. 

Best regards,

Jason

I can foresee some enterprising resin moulder making resin all seating interiors for the extra trailer cars.

They'll  have to figure out what to do with the massive tilt pack in the middle of the coach though. Either that or fit the coaches with Mk 5 underfloor packs from the P-Train............  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two coaches were in the Locomotion Models display case at Shildon on Sunday. They looked superb to me. So if the finished model is going to be better, it will be fantastic. Really looking forward to recieving mine.

Right....

Greetings all. As Jason reported, I am back from China - and completely jet lagged. So, forgive me in advance if portions of this reply sense not make...  :O 

Our factory has been working hard at finalizing some of the fussier sections of the APT-E tooling. They have revised the inter-car coupling system for easier operation and more reliable electrical connections. The new system is a big improvement on that used on the original samples. We tested the new system by running at full tilt - literally - around a #2 radius test track and through a loop with small radius turnouts. It was nauseating to watch, but the train passed with flying colours.

They have also been finalizing the surface details on the car bodies, in particular the rivets.One of the chief reasons for my visit was to ensure that the rivets were suitably small and delicate. I confess that the prospect of having horribly oversized rivets was giving me accelerated hair loss, and for those of you that have met me you know that this is something that I can only afford little more of!  I am happy to report that we have come up with a method of doing very fine rivets that seem to capture the feel of the prototype very well. I've attached some photos of a silver painted power car body with the final rivets along with a photo of the roof of PC2. I think that you'll agree that they look spot on.

We will have finished, decorated final samples next month, one of which will be running at the Locomotion stand at Warley.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for lunch... or midnight.... I love these 12 hour time changes!

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

Those rivets look fabulous, very well done, its just the paint that's too course!

It's too sparkly, it needs to be a lot flatter.

cheers

It may be the camera sensor/picture that is showing up the sparkles of course?

I have a silver LT underground set and it looks fine until it comes under the scrutiny of the camera and the spectral highlights in the colours then show up really strongly, much more so than on BR Blue/Green of other models. 

I rather think that someone will come up with a 3D printed interior....I certainly hope so.......I will place my order now, if anyone is thinking about it!

• RMweb Gold

If this was a straight Rapido product, there would be no problem. But the APT-E is for Locomotion and consequently we're not carrying any stock.

So your best bet is to speak with Sandra at Locomotion and let her know you would like to buy the interiors of any trailer cars that come back for warranty purposes. 

Best regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason

E mail sent to Sandra this evening.

More like an aircraft fuselage actually... there are many similarities.

It would have been SO much easier for us if they'd welded it... !

Bill

That's because it WAS an aircraft fuselage effectively. Design wise it was a BAC 1-11 fuselage with large windows, and if you can get into the non-passenger part of TC1 at Shildon it's patently obvious as the structure looks just like that. The Mallite floor panels really are standard airliner floor panels, complete with seat tracks etc.

Bill, that looks tremendous, all your hard work measuring the rivet sizes has paid off well. I'm most impressed.  :imsohappy:

• Like 1

Can Shapeways or similar produce copies if they were sent a sample?

Modelling red card!

Colin, you need to learn about 3D printing and what part Shapeways plays in the process. I am then sending you on a resin casting course!

:D

Guy

Edited by lyneux