Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

So would there be anything to stop a steam loco fitted with an ESU decoder running on DC with realistic steam sounds as accelerates? I don't know.

Nope, I do this when I run one of my trains around the Christmas tree.  Run a DCC loco on a DC loop with no issues (and you get basic sounds).  The only issue is power consumption, the DC throttle is at around 4-6V before the loco comes alive.  This reduces the fineness you have on speed control (4Vish to max).

However, after this last season, I bought a small DCC system (Digitrax Zephyr) and now get all the magical slow speed and sound features.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Andy Y this has been a real pleasure to wait for, updates and information along the way have been superb. All those involved with this project deserve the highest accolades we can give. The end product is a truly awesome train which I had the pleasure of seeing when I was younger. F16 is a joy especially as I am from Didcot and remember APT-E vividly. The cool matter of fact voices as they passed through Didcot at 150 mph. From an age when Britain was synonymous with great engineers and cool heads. We may laugh at Leyland today with its outdated cars and practices but they didn't half produce some awesome gas turbine engines.

• Like 1

To all of those running a dcc version on dc that expect slow and fine running, don't. Due to the nature of the dcc decoder there is a normal 5v drop in voltage getting to the motor compared with running on dcc. This is due to a nominal 5v threshold before a decoder "wakes up". So your 12vdc controller is really only 7v when running a dcc equipped loco.

The cool matter of fact voices as they passed through Didcot at 150 mph.

Apart from me yelling 'Hallelujah!' that is.  :D

Getting to 150 mph right at the western end of Didcot Station was crucial to getting the maximum possible speed out of the train, and with the two previous runs being on only nine turbines it was great to finally get there, especially as it was the last possible run on the last possible day of the WR tests.

• Like 4

A rare photo of the prototype APT has turned up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENG2020-1975-Prototype-APT-at-Derby-Works-Class-8-Locomotive-Railway-Photo-/141955909421?

And it turns out the Rapido model is totally wrong!

Hehehe, love it.  :D

I expect it's from the occasion they towed E-Train over to the C&W works for the Open Day not long before our last trip to York. There's a few other photos of the train at the works posted on the Net.

• RMweb Gold

Either The Ghost of IKB is trolling or Locomotion send out models when they are in contact with someone to save having to put them in the system to be dealt with again later.

I hope with all these last minute orders way after the deadline that Locomotion do not run out of models. To make a second small run in such circumstances to meet contractual obligations would cause a severe financial loss.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

Here is the latest shipment information direct from Sandra at Locomotion:

a) DCC Sound version - if you have paid in full then your model is on its way to you, this includes all overseas customers, you should start to see these being delivered from today.

b) Most of the overseas customers who ordered trailing cars should receive those at the same time, there are a few though that will follow on...

c) DCC Ready versions - if you have paid in full then you should receive your model by the end of NEXT week, this includes overseas customers.

It looks like they are expecting all the paid in full customers, regardless of location to have received their model by the end of next week, so if you haven't received yours by Tuesday April 26th, you might want to drop locomotion an email and verify the status of your order. 

Sandra mentioned that they were running into courier restrictions due to the weight of the models, so they can only ship out so many per day.

Many thanks to Sandra for taking the time to provide this information this morning! So hopefully this information will keep everyone who hasn't received theirs relatively calm for at least another week or so! :)

Colin -  it's a wind up!  I ordered mine when first announced and paid the balance over a month ago.

Finished the EM conversion using the original wheel - dead easy took 30 minutes to do the whole thing!  Compared with eg. a Bachmann 101 it was a breeze.  If only all models were so easy to convert.  Bachmann please follow suit. 

• Like 1

I received one of my APT-E models yesterday, I love it, the packaging is equally impressive.

I have noticed quite a few people are scraping and scratching the models paintwork, perhaps Rapido should provide a pantone or ral paint reference code for the silver and blue paint to assist those who have scratched the models paintwork.

• RMweb Premium

Took mine down to our club for a work out today. We have a large test track so I was able to run it at full speed. First runs without sound showed how smooth the unit is but it is when you fire up the engines this model really comes to life, and with the multi start firing up 10 gas turbines is a real pleasure. When fired up the engines settle down into a pleasing hum, open the throttle and the high pitched whistle of the engines comes to life. At speed it looks superb and the tilt is perceptible on the bends, but it does not lean too far over.

The HK braking effect is excellent. I reported a couple of hotspots on TC 1/2 earlier in the thread, I am glad to report there is no sign of them today. I cannot give this model high enough praise it really is a remarkable piece of engineering.

• Like 5

Great model, however I struggled to assemble PC-1 to TC-1.  It says you might in the instructions.  You can see the plastic clip which must be connected so I lubricated the joint prior to assembly using Hob-E-Lube Lite oil applied with a straightened paper clip in a minute quantity.  This oil states that it is plastic compatible on the packaging.  It appeared to be easier to assemble the rest of the coaches or I may have just acquired the required knack.  As they say, do so at your own risk.  My apologies if this has appeared elsewhere in the APT-E thread.

Following on from the above I have had a problem in resetting the decoder address and subsequent loss of red lights on unit PC-2.  With the whole train on the programming track using a Hornby Elite I first attempted to read the existing address but it was unreadable.  This is my normal procedure when buying a new loco or checking a decoder prior to installation.  I then reprogrammed the APT-E to 153 and put it back on the main line with a Lenz 100 system.  It responded to the new number but unfortunately the red lights on PC-2 did not work.  I returned it to the programming track but this time with only PC-1 and an intermediate bogie on the track and did a factory reset.  I returned it to the main line, it responded to decoder address no.3 and the red lights on PC-2 worked correctly.  I then returned it to the programming track with only PC-1 and the first intermediate bogie on the track and reset the address to 153.  On returning it to the mainline it worked perfectly on address 153 with red lights on PC-2.

This is not the first time I have problems programming multiple units with the Elite however I do not know what difference it makes to programming by having the whole train on the track or by having just PC-1 and one bogie.  It may just be an Elite problem but it may help others similarly affected.

Took mine down to our club for a work out today. We have a large test track so I was able to run it at full speed. First runs without sound showed how smooth the unit is but it is when you fire up the engines this model really comes to life, and with the multi start firing up 10 gas turbines is a real pleasure. When fired up the engines settle down into a pleasing hum, open the throttle and the high pitched whistle of the engines comes to life. At speed it looks superb and the tilt is perceptible on the bends, but it does not lean too far over.

The HK braking effect is excellent. I reported a couple of hotspots on TC 1/2 earlier in the thread, I am glad to report there is no sign of them today. I cannot give this model high enough praise it really is a remarkable piece of engineering.

the roofs on my TC 1/2 get warm too .maybe Rapido could comment on this ? it could just be the resistors getting hot ? 

its a superb model well done to Sandra and all at locomotion models and Rapido 

• RMweb Premium

A rare photo of the prototype APT has turned up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENG2020-1975-Prototype-APT-at-Derby-Works-Class-8-Locomotive-Railway-Photo-/141955909421?

And it turns out the Rapido model is totally wrong!

The only way one of those is going to make 150mph is if it's chucked of a ruddy big cliff.......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The only way one of those is going to make 150mph is if it's chucked of a ruddy big cliff.......

Cheers,

Mick

It won't, even then. AIUI, terminal velocity is 120 mph.

Colin -  it's a wind up!  I ordered mine when first announced and paid the balance over a month ago.

Finished the EM conversion using the original wheel - dead easy took 30 minutes to do the whole thing!  Compared with eg. a Bachmann 101 it was a breeze.  If only all models were so easy to convert.  Bachmann please follow suit. 

Sent you a PM

• RMweb Premium

But isn't that the terminal velocity of a human? Won't gravity induced motion be greater for an object of greater mass?

Mike

Er, no. At least, not in a vacuum. The mass makes no practical difference to the velocity when there's no air/gas resistance. In air/gas, it's a different matter, but the velocity is then more dependent on how much resistance the object has to the air/gas. So a feather falls at a far slower rate than, say, a cannonball.

Edited by Ian J.