The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

Considering that the luggage will feel just as much cant deficiency as the passengers, and that's as little as possible without generating the dreaded 'tilt sickness', there's little point in haveing doors on the racks. it must be purely a marketing exercise as you say.

It's not so much how much the various trains actually tilt, but how much the passengers feel that's important when comparing them. P-Train tilted 9 deg, originally, as did E-Train, but was trimmed down to 6 deg. when the 'tilt sickness' issue was understood more fully. IIRC Pendelinos are similar, so how much do the Acelas tilt?

First people will have to get their TC1s apart  :D but I've explained that a few posts above here. 

It could be that a lot of the North East corridor is relatively straight compared to the West coast mainline.

The one thing I do like about the Pendolinos is how much the tilt is noticeable on some stretches of the WCML.

For the benefit of anyone using 2nd radius curves, the end 'throw' of the nose is approximately 35mm on that radius, so you really need clear space of at least 4cm from the outer rail, on the outside of your curves - that means clear of anything above rail height. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

It could be that a lot of the North East corridor is relatively straight compared to the West coast mainline.

The one thing I do like about the Pendolinos is how much the tilt is noticeable on some stretches of the WCML.

Yes, very possible. Certainly north of Crewe the WCML is really twisty, and those curves were the limiting factor for the P-Train's tilt performance.

It's rather pleasing the the Acelas use P-Train tilt systems, derived from the LRC, X2000 and Super Voyager systems.  :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

Mr Tilt

You mentioned X2000 in your last post. Here is a picture of it in Brisbane during its world tour

post-28417-0-92502800-1461021651.png

You probably know Queensland Rail also runs 25Kv Electric and Diesel Tilt Trains

Max Speed is 160Km, Max tilt is 5 deg on 3'6" Gauge

John

• Like 2

Big mistake by Sandra, I received my sound version about three weeks ago, over the moon with the model, couldn't resist phoning Sandra to thank her once again in the middle of Emmerdale :-)

I think you maybe "Red Carded" from Sandra on future Locomotion Models

• Like 2

A question for Kit or anyone in the Support & Conservation team.

The floor carpet (and up the walls to knee height) is currently brown in the seating area; was it that colour back in the day? I gather it was a fetching shade of furry green whilst at the NRM.

I noticed that too andy while I was applying the anti macassar decals which by the way look amazing, how will people be adding in the colour of the carpets

and for Kit how did you access TC1 and TC2 

Edited by Danim

A question for Kit or anyone in the Support & Conservation team.

The floor carpet (and up the walls to knee height) is currently brown in the seating area; was it that colour back in the day? I gather it was a fetching shade of furry green whilst at the NRM.

It was matched pretty closely to the original colour Andy, and is only slightly darker than the original carpet was in the '70s. Paul Leadley may remember the details of the re-carpeting better than I can though.

The 'furry green' shade was due to the mould that covered almost the entire interior of TC1 when we took over the train in 2000. There was a small, 6" high, tree growing through the floor boards near the centre bulkhead and that was recovered and potted when we changed the floorboards! Mrs Tilt intended to transfer it to our garden but some unfeeling so & so threw it away! 

and for Kit how did you access TC1 and TC2 

That was through the split doors in the Joint Modules, and then by turning left or right as appropriate. I've published this pic before but it bears repeating, it shows the doors in the TC2-PC2 Joint Module fully open, and if you look right at the top you can just see the thin strut that holds them open. We still use the same struts to this day.  :D  If you look at the Joint Module doors on your model you can see that the split isn't on the centre-line, which is true to life as the right hand door, looking from the outside, closed over the left hand one, and in the pic you can clearly see that the RH one is wider than the LH one. The same door mouldings were used on the Power Car Auxiliary bays, and they're split asymmetrically too.

3D printed versions of the joint module with the doors open, plus suitable access ladders, may be available to depict your models at Uffington or Old Dalby at some time in the future.......

1RNqet.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 3

Mr Tilt

You mentioned X2000 in your last post. Here is a picture of it in Brisbane during its world tour

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

You probably know Queensland Rail also runs 25Kv Electric and Diesel Tilt Trains

Max Speed is 160Km, Max tilt is 5 deg on 3'6" Gauge

John

I didn't know the X2000 had got as far as Oz, John, thanks very much. I travelled on the Swedish X2000 from Stockholm to Malmo once, much the amusement of the train's staff as i spent much of the time standing in the centre of the gangways with my eyes shut, and leaping out at every stop so I could look at the bogies.  :D  My odd behaviour did earn me a tour of the rolling stock sheds at Malmo the next morning though, and the engineering staff were fascinated by my tales of how we did it way back then. 

And I didn't know about the Queensland Rail tilting stock either. Interesting that they're on 'narrow gauge' track and that they tilt so little at such a slow speed. Presumably the track has some very sharp curves?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 'furry green' shade was due to the mould that covered almost the entire interior of TC1 when we took over the train in 2000. There was a small, 6" high, tree growing through the floor boards near the centre bulkhead and that was recovered and potted when we changed the floorboards!

Looks like someone left the cheese sandwich there after all.

From the pose of the guy in the photo, can we assume the APT-E hasn't got an onboard toilet......?

Cheers,

Mick

Actually it did, and still does, and I think the model does as well, although it may not be visible unless you take the lid off. It's just toward the end of the vehicle from the Train Supervisors desk, which is next to the Sandwich.

In that pic, taken right at the end of the test programme before we took the train to the NRM, we were doing load measuring wheelset tests on the Test Track, and to get a correct zero reading required the bogie to be jacked up clear of the rail, and you can see the jack under the long air spring radius arm. Unfortunately this had to be done LOADS of times, and everyone was thoroughly fed up with it by the end of the day, especially as the train only traversed one curve after each 'zero set' so we hardly moved at all, thus the pained expression on his face.

My layout can be switched to DC or DCC and I thought I’d try it on DC. It’s excellent. Just turn the controller to full power and enjoy the turbines starting up followed by a slow and steady acceleration. Impressive and nice to watch without pressing sequences of buttons for a change. Very well done.

The problem getting the real one running was that when it was moved to the nrm they cut through all the wires connecting the coaches together and I believe there are over 10000 cables that would need reattaching and nobody knows what cables go together

Edited by Danim

The problem getting the real one running was that when it was moved to the nrm they cut through all the wires connecting the coaches together and I believe there are over 10000 cables that would need reattaching and nobody knows what cables go togetherThe problem getting the real one running was that when it was moved to the nrm they cut through all the wires connecting the coaches together and I believe there are over 10000 cables that would need reattaching and nobody knows what

cables go together

Must still be a way?

• RMweb Gold

I asked Kit about whether it could be got running when we were sharing the Rapido/Revolution stand at York - the answer was not without an awful lot of money being spent on it! As Danim mentions the cables being cut between the cars hasn't helped.

Cheers, Mike