The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those drawings Jason.

You mention that the APT-E requires a wider guage for clearance. Can you advise by how much? I am about to lay some curved double track and now is the time to lay the tracks the right distance apart rather than changing them later.

Thanks

Colin

The CADs look stunning.

One thing that has always puzzled me about the real APT-E - what was the reasoning behind the recessed cab window and nose assembly? 

Single manning, BR reasoned if the driver was halfway down the train he could also be the guard, hence the blacklisting of the trainset!!!!!!!

Got coat and hat and have now left the building :mosking:

One thing that has always puzzled me about the real APT-E - what was the reasoning behind the recessed cab window and nose assembly? 

There was concern that too steep an angle on the screen might cause distortion and awkward reflections. Similar with HST: by the time the production trains were designed it was realised they had been over cautious in this respect.

There was an ideal angle for the windscreen for aerodymanic reasons, but the glass had to be strong enough, and therefore thick enough, to withstand bricks thrown by idiots (or frozen chickens......) But in those days glass that thick and that angle was very difficult to see through, so they had to tilt the screen at a less steep angle than the rest of the nose, thus the 'channel' in front of it.

Hi all

I have a question for Jason and Bill , my apologies if it has been answered already, but could be interesting to others.

How many sound functions will the model have? and will it be possible to split the whole train set and run one power car and one trailer car?

Cheers

I suspect with the way the articulated bogies are that the split option wont be feasible

Hi all

I have a question for Jason and Bill , my apologies if it has been answered already, but could be interesting to others.

How many sound functions will the model have? and will it be possible to split the whole train set and run one power car and one trailer car?

That's impssible with an articulated train as each vehicle balances the bogie vertical forces on each end of, in E-Train's case, the steering beam.

When we took TC2 out of the consist at York in 1977 so we could display it in the Great Hall we used its own E1T bogie on one end and the last remaining SA bogie on the other. Both of them had the outer ends of their steering beams bolted down to two concrete blocks grouted into the ground via massive turn-buckles. The turn-buckles 'balanced' the weight of TC2 on the inner end of the steering beams.

{sigh} I've tried to add this bit and the pic THREE times now and it keeps on vanishing.......

Attempt the 4th!

You could run both Power Cars back to back across one E1T bogie as we did it for real when we moved them both across to the Thrall Yard from the NRM before moving them to Shildon. You'd need to leave the joint module off as we didn't have it installed for that short trip.

Agggghhh! I give up! Now it's posted the pic there TWICE!

EvrnAj.jpg

post-22199-0-08707400-1408892387.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

as nice as im sure it undoubtably is would it really be worth that if it was finished ?id have said maybe £350 would have been nearer

(not wanting to upset people or taking the away the effort of whoever has built it) but would someone really spend the equivalent of a useable second hand car or my case more than a months rent on it look at what else it would get you

please don't shoot me its my opinion and im really sorry if iv offended anyone it was not my intention

Phil

• Like 1

Which begs the question, how much would YOU pay for a rebuilt/semi scratchbuilt 14vehicle APT?

(Question open to all)

Cheers

Shane

I suspect the market would go to about £500 for an example needing further work, completed fully (and I mean all pain touch up / respray etc) they could well possibly make the full 750

• RMweb Premium

I placed my order before I found this thread and went for a non-DCC six-car set i.e. two extra coaches. I think it will make a nice display as a 'reasonably plausible might have been' - the experimental set strengthened to carry 100 or so passengers and find out about catering, walking about on board, travel sickness and so on.

I will probably never have a layout large enough to run it, but the local club probably always will. I do imagine the market for a full 14 car APT-P is very small, and the price would be set by what someone is prepared to pay - a bit like houses over a million pounds. But, such a purchaser might be more 'Golden Age' than 'Hornby' so to speak, and looking to blow a lot more.

Just looked at the eBay posting, it made £370. Sounds about right, if a bit low, for a model to finish off.

- Richard.

Well I've just paid my deposit for the sound version.

I normally go for steam locos, but I just couldn't resist this.

When I was a kid I had the Hornby APT-P, but that is very basic by todays standards.

I also think the APT-E looks more iconic than the APT-P.

To run a full size APT-P (about 12 cars) would require a massive layout. 

But a full size APT-E is only 4 cars long.  So you can run an authentic rake on a smaller layout.

This thread and the Rapido web-site suggests that the level of detail is going to be quite high.

So when you consider how much Hornby are charging for their InterCity 125, I don't think the price is bad at all.

Mike.

• Like 2