The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

Jason

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply which answered all my questions. They reasure me that I will be able to make up the seven car revenue earning set that I want to run on my layout.

I like the screen grabs from the scans. I'm following this thread with great interest and excitement.

Regards

Colin  

Kit

Are the turbines in the E train capable of being run or are they seized?

Paul R

Some of the PC2 turbines will turn over Paul as we've actually done it a few times, but we dare not actually try to fire one up inside the museum at Shildon!

In any case we'd need some proper control connections and they orginally went via the steering beam to TC2. As TC2 is now the other side of the fire break we'd have to re-connect and extend a large number of cables for which we have no drawings, so it's unlikely we could do that even in the medium term. The Conservation and Support Group does have two zero houred turbines on support stands as well, and there's a far better chance that one of those might be capable of being powered up, but please don't hold your breath....

Edited by Mr_Tilt

Hi all,

The 3D scan renderings have arrived, and here are some screen grabs.  They look very impressive!  It means we can get the nose shape bang on.  I've left the contours on these drawings - those lines will not actually be visible on the model.

There will be one difference between our model and these renderings.  The real nose is full of all sorts of hills and valleys.  We'll need to smooth it out for the model as there is no way to create a subtle wibble in 4mm scale.

That wibble must be where I keep patting its nose every time I see it these days. :no:

The scans look really excellent Jason, they got the shape down pat.

One thing about adding more seats in extra Trailer Cars that you'll need to note is that the Rapido model of TC1 includes an accurately shaped and sized tilt pack in the Service Bay area behind the VIP compartment. As it's about the size of three fridges side by side it takes up a LOT of seat space so you'd maybe best assume that your extra cars have had the APT-P Mk 5 tilt packs installed under the floor and carve away the pack that's already there.

If you leave the original one there your 1/76 scale passengers will all be sitting down the OTHER end to get away from that noisy and oily tilt pack! :no:

• RMweb Premium

Some of the PC2 turbines will turn over Paul as we've actually done it a few times, but we dare not actually try to fire one up inside the museum at Shildon!

In any case we'd need some proper control connections and they orginally went via the steering beam to TC2. As TC2 is now the other side of the fire break we'd have to re-connect and extend a large number of cables for which we have no drawings, so it's unlikely we could do that even in the medium term. The Conservation and Support Group does have two zero houred turbines on support stands as well, and there's a far better chance that one of those might be capable of being powered up, but please don't hold your breath....

I'm not holding my breath but heres a few if...

If the E-train gets moved to the new museum at Leicester its al the end if an 18 mile test track...

If there was someone out with deep (ish) pockets or a well sorted fundraiser...

Is a running restoration something the group would entertain?

Just out of interest what would it take to run the old girl again in terms of components and cash? I understand preservation as a seasoned realist I know its a similar length to a piece of string but I would be very surprised if nobody had run the numbers before

Steve

If the E-train gets moved to the new museum at Leicester its al the end if an 18 mile test track...

Just out of interest what would it take to run the old girl again in terms of components and cash? I understand preservation as a seasoned realist I know its a similar length to a piece of string but I would be very surprised if nobody had run the numbers before

Steve

Ah the million dollar question! As I am sure Kit will confirm this has been aired on the APT support group Yahoo Group site. How deep are your pockets?

Is this museum still going ahead - I thought I heard that the lottery application was rejected

• RMweb Premium

Ah the million dollar question! As I am sure Kit will confirm this has been aired on the APT support group Yahoo Group site. How deep are your pockets?

Is this museum still going ahead - I thought I heard that the lottery application was rejected

Apparently so... I believe they were turned down with honours. Ie, make sure you apply next time which I understand is currently underway.

My pockets arent deep at all but as a vision it would be quite something. Are we talking 7 figures?

Jason

How is the tilt mechanism going to work please?

Paul R

Hi Paul,

That will be shown in the factory drawings which I will start sharing next week (hopefully).  When I am at the factory next month we will make a CNC sample to ensure that the tilt and close coupling system works before we cut the steel moulds.

Our chief engineer who designed the mechanics of the model is now working on the FL9, so he passed the project to our second engineer.  When I sent the scans to the new engineer his response was "when I reduce it to 1/87 it's the wrong size!" Evidently he was lacking one rather key piece of information..... 

:scratchhead:

-Jason

• RMweb Premium

When I sent the scans to the new engineer his response was "when I reduce it to 1/87 it's the wrong size!" Evidently he was lacking one rather key piece of information..... 

:scratchhead:

-Jason

1/87! Wash your mouth out with carbolic!

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

When I sent the scans to the new engineer his response was "when I reduce it to 1/87 it's the wrong size!" Evidently he was lacking one rather key piece of information.....

Let's hope the scan data is in a proper system of units and not foot-pound furlongs per thou. ;) Edited by Ozexpatriate

Steve

It hasn't been lost on us that the GRC will be pretty much the same length as the Test Track, and it's Berne Gauge too.... :no:

It's not all that far from the Old Dalby site either.

As for running the train again it would cost OODLES of money, but it's such a large amount we haven't even thought about it seriously, there really isn't a way of calculating it. But the biggest problem is lack of expertise in most of the areas of the train, apart from tilt and instrumentation that is. We'd also need lots more drawings and schematics than we have to hand at present, even though the NRM have vast quantities of them stashed away somewhere, but no-one seems to know where.

The fact that they still exist is due to my wife, who when told to destroy them put the whole lot in boxes in the RTC basement and wrote 'NRM York' on the boxes before getting them all shipped up there back in 1977 or so. :no:

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 9

It hasn't been lost on us that the GRC will be pretty much the same length as the Test Track, and it's Berne Gauge too.... :no:

It's not all that far from the Old Dalby site either.

As for running the train again it would cost OODLES of money, but it's such a large amount we haven't even thought about it seriously, there really isn't a way of calculating it. But the biggest problem is lack of expertise in most of the areas of the train, apart from tilt and instrumentation that is. We'd also need lots more drawings and schematics than we have to hand at present, even though the NRM have vast quantities of them stashed away somewhere, but no-one seems to know where.

The fact that they still exist is due to my wife, who when told to destroy them put the whole lot in boxes in the RTC basement and wrote 'NRM York' on the boxes before getting them all shipped up there back in 1977 or so. :no:

That has to be a big 'Hooray' for Mrs Tilt, thank you.

• RMweb Gold

"Right, Lord!"

"What's a cubit?"

(--B Cosby as Noah)

There is an excellent guide to imperial units on youtube

Are Imperial Measurements outdated?

Edited by Vistiaen

• RMweb Gold

Let's hope the scan data is in a proper system of units and not foot-pound furlongs per thou. ;)

A recently departed mate of mine used to rib me mercilessly saying "How on earth did they manage to come up with a ratio of 4mm to the foot, mixing two different measuring systems up!"  I'd never really thought about the craziness of it before that.  I guess it was much more fun than using the ratio 1:76?

A recently departed mate of mine used to rib me mercilessly saying "How on earth did they manage to come up with a ratio of 4mm to the foot, mixing two different measuring systems up!"  I'd never really thought about the craziness of it before that.  I guess it was much more fun than using the ratio 1:76?

I just love reading the measurements in British layout articles...

"Well, I used 25mm x 100mm timber for the baseboards..." Mate, we call that a 1x4.

"..covered with a sheet of 610x2440mm plywood on top..." And we call that a 2x8 foot sheet.

Here in Canada, we're bilingual.  Ask anyone their weight or height, and it's in pounds and feet/inches. Building supplies are all imperial, but plywood thickness is metric, as are architectural drawings. Distances are in m and km, and temperature is in Celsius. The green grocers are a mix - some stuff is in grams and some is in pounds.

This is the kind of stuff you will definitely get wrong if you are an American or a British actor trying to play a Canadian. Just as I am sure I get stuff wrong when I am talking to Brits or Americans (I made the mistake of asking for cutlery in an American supermarket once).

There are certain things you only understand once you've lived in a place for a long time. I confounded two ladies at Superdrug in Birmingham city centre when I asked for Q-Tips. Finally the manager figured out I wanted cotton buds. The lady at Sainsbury's quickly figured out that I wanted to see what was "on offer" rather than "on sale." Don't get me started on Paracetamol vs. Tylenol - the same drug whose names are taken from different parts of a really long scientific name.

There are hundreds of examples like this, the most egregious one being a religious Jewish friend of mine from Canada who was living in Cambridge for a year. She was trying to show she was modern by exclaiming loud and proud that she "wears pants." A lot of religious religious women wear skirts rather than trousers, but I am pretty sure that almost all of them wear pants.... 

-Jason

• Like 1