The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

It's not that I've been living under a rock but MR magazine takes a little while to reach here, so having got all excited by reading the article in the August edition and not visiting this site for a little while I was happily surprised to find this thread and that Locomotion were already open for business!

I'd just like to add to all the other comments Jason, absolutely top choice. I've been waiting for a RTR version of this since I first saw it at York in 1980 during a school model railway club outing to the museum so order duly just placed for a DCC sound version.

Quick question if I may and apologies if it has already been answered but having just read most of the 26 preceding pages I couldn't see it.....but will there be speakers in both power cars so we get the sound effect twice as the train passes?

Thanks again for deciding to model this as your UK market entrance model and I know it's already been mentioned so I'll request it softly......APT-P next please!

Martin

• Like 1

It's not that I've been living under a rock but MR magazine takes a little while to reach here, so having got all excited by reading the article in the August edition and not visiting this site for a little while I was happily surprised to find this thread and that Locomotion were already open for business!

I'd just like to add to all the other comments Jason, absolutely top choice. I've been waiting for a RTR version of this since I first saw it at York in 1980 during a school model railway club outing to the museum so order duly just placed for a DCC sound version.

Quick question if I may and apologies if it has already been answered but having just read most of the 26 preceding pages I couldn't see it.....but will there be speakers in both power cars so we get the sound effect twice as the train passes?

Thanks again for deciding to model this as your UK market entrance model and I know it's already been mentioned so I'll request it softly......APT-P next please!

Martin

Hi Martin,

There most definitely will be two speakers.  It will whoosh at both ends.

-Jason

• Like 7

Pity he didn't state where the tools were stored (for the APT) gives me visions of being stored in the middle of a shark infested swamp with crocodiles and a live electric charge for good measure!

Mark

They're on a very high shelf.

• RMweb Premium

I can't wait for this model. When my next work season starts in December I will be ordering one for definite. I model 1950's Western Region but the BR development team in the late 40's have created a new train set that is years (about 20 or so I'd say) ahead of it's time!

Quote Simon Kohler's blog :-

'Of course it is not the first time that an APT has been produced. Back in 1980 Hornby produced a 5 car APT-P, which was produced both as a train set and a train pack. The launch of the model was approximately one year before the 1:1 version actually carried any passengers other than BR personnel as the train had been dogged by numerous operating problems. However, in 1984 after a great deal of development work the three APT-P trains that had been initially built entered revenue earning service. Unfortunately by then the damage to the trains reputation had been done and each of the three units over a period of time were gradually and quietly withdrawn from service.'

With the greatest of respect, COBBLERS!

A) The two APTs are very different trains and that first sentence sounds very much like sour grapes to me. And note that Rapido don't get a name check, unlike Bachmann later on.

B)The launch of Hornby's APT-P was the SAME year in which the 1:1 scale version carried it first passengers, as that was on Dec 7th 1981 and I was one of them! I still have the ticket too. There may have been only 13 real fare paying passengers on that first run, but we weren't BR staff. OK, so some of us were EX-BR staff but I paid for my full price ticket with MY money. The P-Trains were taken out of service after a few days, but they were returned to service after a relatively short period during 1982, long before 1984!

As for Sun reporters, it was a good thing the prat didn't phone me and ask what the difference between the two tilt systems were. I'd have volunteered to show him, with the aid of a 3000 psi hydraulic hose and a shut-off valve.....

Sorry, I don't quite get this - you quote 7 Dec 1981 as the date on which the APT-P first carried passengers. The Hornby model came out in 1980 (as per SK's column) - that is indeed a year ahead of 1981. Agreed that he is in error about 1984 being the year it went into service.

I was at school alongside the WCML (southern end) from 1973-1980 and remember the APT-P test runs starting in 1980, it was incredibly exciting...!

• Like 1

I'm sort of glad the thing never got re-released. Going on previous re-releases, Hornby probably would have charged a premium for it (I imagine somewhere near Rapidos all singing all dancing APT price bracket), it wouldn't have been updated, other than fitting one of the new type motors. So we would have been left with an expensive toy, the whole model needs a retool. In my opinion (and mine alone) the thing is best left where it belongs, in the 1980's

Edited by Marcyg

Sorry, I don't quite get this - you quote 7 Dec 1981 as the date on which the APT-P first carried passengers. The Hornby model came out in 1980 (as per SK's column) - that is indeed a year ahead of 1981. Agreed that he is in error about 1984 being the year it went into service.

I was at school alongside the WCML (southern end) from 1973-1980 and remember the APT-P test runs starting in 1980, it was incredibly exciting...!

Yes, you and he are right about the date the Hornby model started being sold and I misread his original post.

But it was only just ahead of the real thing and the P-Train was running by then, albeit not carrying fare paying passengers. For absolute certainty the first passenger carrying run WAS on Dec 7th 1981, and as I said I was on it, so I'm not likely to have got that wrong.

• Like 1

I'm sort of glad the thing never got re-released. Going on previous re-releases, Hornby probably would have charged a premium for it (I imagine somewhere near Rapidos all singing all dancing APT price bracket), it wouldn't have been updated, other than fitting one of the new type motors. So we would have been left with an expensive toy, the whole model needs a retool. In my opinion (and mine alone) the thing is best left where it belongs, in the 1980's

A newly-tooled 370 means we might get the additional coaches to make a full set too, something the 80s model lacked.

• Like 1

Guest Belgian

The decision to adopt the Metric system in the UK was made by Parliament in 1965, and the Metrication board set up in 1969.  We joined the EEC in 1973, so metrication cannot be blamed on the EU.

Sorry if that sounds a bit snotty but I do get annoyed when everything going on in the UK gets blamed on the "EU".  I half expect Beeching to be revealed as an EU inspired plot to boost German and French car production sometime soon.

I thought Beeching was a government-inspired plot to boost British Motorway construction for Mr Marples, the Transport Minister who appointed Beeching and effectively owned the principal motorway construction company (although he claimed he didn't - it was in his wife's name).

JE

• RMweb Premium

As well as having ordered the APT-E, I also ordered one of the 'I'd rather be on British Rail' T shirts.

The T shirt has arrived, I wonder if I should wear it while driving a rail replacement coach?

• RMweb Gold

As well as having ordered the APT-E, I also ordered one of the 'I'd rather be on British Rail' T shirts.

Two questions:

Does it tilt when you run round corners?

Did you get the DC or DCC version?

A newly-tooled 370 means we might get the additional coaches to make a full set too, something the 80s model lacked.

I knew that cross topic posting is frowned upon but as this topic seems to be drifting away from its origins again may I draw your attention to this topic and the last post!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67511-improving-the-Hornby-apt/page-8

cheers

Shane

• Like 1

For the APT-P there would be 4 vehicles to tool up compared with 2 for the APT-E. You need to sell 1500 units.

To be viable then, it would need to be 8 cars, how many of us would be prepared to pay £500 for an 8 car set or £600 for a DCC sound fitted 8 car set?

I would, so 1 vote. Thoughts? Would you buy one or is it too much?

• Like 2

They could do it as a 5 car pack like Hornby did, requiring 3 tools, then an additional tool for the intermediate coaches and maybe modify the extra tool with a plug in part to do the blanked window bay of the  buffet car.

That way you would only need to buy another power car and the intermediate coaches separately.

They could do it as a 5 car pack like Hornby did, requiring 3 tools, then an additional tool for the intermediate coaches and maybe modify the extra tool with a plug in part to do the blanked window bay of the  buffet car.

That way you would only need to buy another power car and the intermediate coaches separately.

The problem is you need to shift 3000 power cars, likewise one of the pair would carry the chip with cabling between both to control both. 2 separately DCC controlled cars would add an additional £100 on top of full set, so the power cars would need to be sold as a pair.

Likewise if it was done as a 5 car pack, many people might settle for that so you would never fully exploit the power car tooling.

This points to a minimum 6 car pack which would say £400 non DCC and £500 DCC sound....,

Additional intermediate cars could follow a year or so after at £100 a pair. Could we sell 1500 sets?

Say for example the Bachmann class 150 2 car retooled unit will sell for around £150,in a different livery course they will sell.it was around £69.00 when first available of course its more than doubled in price but people will still buy it.

another example Hornby class 142 price in 1987 around £27.50 most recent price touching £100 northern rail livery.

We have not yet had the luxury of many premium spec models in the uk yet.

I do think people would switch suppliers.

Have a good think about ALDI,S recent strong tv adverts switch your supermarket and save upto 50%, people are sick of being ripped off by mainstream corporate companies, same old story Tesco cheaper asda 10% cheaper ect, Asda rollback one week £11.00 then £12.00 then  up to £15.00, then lots all advertising things at 49 pence..

I really hope rapido trains will put the boot up the other two.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone for a Tesco Value BR Mk.1?

Now, can we get back to the APT please?

Edited by ian