The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

But a full size APT-E is only 4 cars long.  So you can run an authentic rake on a smaller layout.

Mike.

Actually you could tun a wholly authentic APT-E in 3 car form, with just TC2 in the middle. We did quite a lot of the early test work in 3 car form while TC1 was undergoing vibration tests in the APD Lab.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, if you were REALLY pushed for space just could just run both Power Cars back to back and without the Joint Module in place. But you have to tow it with an 08 and run at around 15 mph maximum speed, which would hardly test the tilt system. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Actually you could tun a wholly authentic APT-E in 3 car form, with just TC2 in the middle. We did quite a lot of the early test work in 3 car form while TC1 was undergoing vibration tests in the APD Lab.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, if you were REALLY pushed for space just could just run both Power Cars back to back and without the Joint Module in place. But you have to tow it with an 08 and run at around 15 mph maximum speed, which would hardly test the tilt system. :no:

I always wondered how you would shuffle vehicles in and out of an articulated set, as one end wouldn't have any wheels. Did you use a temporary "accommodation" bogie?

Cheers,

Mick

I always wondered how you would shuffle vehicles in and out of an articulated set, as one end wouldn't have any wheels. Did you use a temporary "accommodation" bogie?

Cheers,

Mick

In a word, yes. But it depends on your definition of 'temporary accomodation bogie'.

For E-train we had some folding (yes, really) handling dollies that would fit either the Trailer or Power Cars and they could be slid sideways, while folded flat, under the vehicle just in front of a bogie. Then they'd have their sides un-folded and locked into place before lifting the vehicle clear of its bogie with an air jack plugged into the dolly.

The Conservation and Support Group have a couple of them but the guys who moved the train up from York broke one of them and it'll need some extensive welding if we need to use it again.

d2OrpX.jpg

Trailer Car 2 leaving NRM York mounted on two handling dollies.

UfaIrQ.jpg

Power Car being loaded onto a road trailer supported on one E1 bogie and one handling dolly

lTB51N.jpg

Me working on the handling dolly under the Power Car. You can just see the end of the E1T bogie to my right and the bit I'm resting my head on is the bit that folds down.

Edited by Mr_Tilt

Hi Kit,

Thanks for the info.

Nice detail pics of the inner ends of the vehicles.

Who's going to be the first to ask Rapido for spare shells to model the above? :dontknow:

Cheers,

Mick

If you ask nicely they may sell you some of the rejects that are inevitable with any model being made

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know the track record of past Rapido models? I am hugely tempted to order one of these, but want to make 100% sure its the right thing to do !!

Well put it this way the couple of people I know who have Rapido models would pre order on an announcement of interest on a model they wanted. The Realtrack pacers are made by Rapido and I haven't seen an issue with any of them and I'm getting an FGW one when they arrive.

Thanks to all this thread had been fascinating so far and would be a very good reference for anyone writing about APT-E thanks to Kit.

Thanks to all this thread had been fascinating so far and would be a very good reference for anyone writing about APT-E thanks to Kit.

My pleasure, I'm only too glad to help to spread the 'APT-E Gospel'. :no:

Because Ian Allan only did one print run of High William's book, and that a long time ago, there's been many an item published in the railway press, both model and full size, that keep on perpetuating errors about the train and they need to be corrected, so I'm trying. I'm hopeful that the Rapido model along with its associated mini-book about the train, will raise interest and put some of the errors to rights.

• Like 7

Hi all,

This is so crazy I had to share it with you.

On the real APT-E, one of Kit's colleagues always brought a massive sandwich.  They used it to prop the door open on TC2.

So of course we decided to include the door, propped open by the sandwich.

How many model train manufacturers get these kinds of emails from their engineers in China?

"Will all door be opened after assembling? If yes, suggest don't to make separate parts for the sandwich , because too small to install, there are mounting holes under the door, we only can choose one status for the door, ------Open or Close?

"This is another kind of door, do we need to make it be opened and add sandwich?"

See attached.

Our new tagline is:

The Rapido APT-E

May or May Not Include Sandwich

-Jason

post-20909-0-43768900-1410549303_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Our new tagline is:

The Rapido APT-E

-

I'm cancelling my order unless it's a prototypical ham salad sandwich....................... :jester:

(Tries to find the head-on picture of a tilted APT with the caption "British Rail loads too many sausage rolls on board...............)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

This is so crazy I had to share it with you.

On the real APT-E, one of Kit's colleagues always brought a massive sandwich.  They used it to prop the door open on TC2.

So of course we decided to include the door, propped open by the sandwich.

How many model train manufacturers get these kinds of emails from their engineers in China?

"Will all door be opened after assembling? If yes, suggest don't to make separate parts for the sandwich , because too small to install, there are mounting holes under the door, we only can choose one status for the door, ------Open or Close?

"This is another kind of door, do we need to make it be opened and add sandwich?"

See attached.

Our new tagline is:

The Rapido APT-E

-Jason

attachicon.gifAPT-E_DOOR.jpg

As long as the engineer isn't called Eye-wun Do or Sum-yun Guy....

I'm cancelling my order unless it's a prototypical ham salad sandwich....................... :jester:

(Tries to find the head-on picture of a tilted APT with the caption "British Rail loads too many sausage rolls on board...............)

Cheers,

Mick

I'M INSULTED!!! 

We are NOT making this stuff up! 

After careful research and numerous e-mails we have determined that it was in fact a standard cheese sandwich, no mayo or mustard, crusts on. Our model will, of course, be 100% accurate... There were NO Ham Salad Sandwiches present - nor will there be any in our model!

Cancel your order if you must but we will not compromise!!!! We have our standards!! ;>) 

Bill Schneider 

Rapido Trains

(Thanks to Kit for the photo....)post-10397-0-56233300-1410576014_thumb.jpg

Edited by rapidobill
  • Like 2

You know, Just as Terence Cuneo had a mouse in his paintings this could become Rapidos signature in British outline by including a scale sandwich within each model they produce.....

Later Jason could write his memories "The sandwich and his master".

Edited by JSpencer

This really is no joke,  and neither was the photo.

Hugh William's wife used to think he'd starve to death unless he was supplied with copious amounts of food on every test day so he'd board the train with a MONSTER lunch box containing approx. half a loaf worth of cheese sandwiches. As we had a really good standing arrangment with the pub in Old Dalby village for a ready supply of all sorts of filled rolls Hugh's lunch box sometimes went un-opened, and the very last thing he could do was take it home still full so the sandwiches tended to accumulate over a day or two, when they were 'filed' in the Control Centre waste bin.

Secondary to all this the door seen in the photo was sprung loaded closed, and it was immediately toward the centre of the train from my Tilt Control position and between me and Hugh's Train Control position. Because not everyone was on the intercom system (not enough headset sockets...) Hugh sometimes needed to shout into the Instrumentation Bay of TC2 that we were starting or braking etc. so we needed to wedge the door open so everyone knew what was going on.

Enter the surplus sandwiches.....

As luck would have it the sandwiches were EXACTLY the correct thickness to wedge the door open, when stale of course, and thus started a legend. :no:

I might add that we intend to commemerate 'The Sandwich' for posterity by getting one of those food window display sandwiches and wedging it under the door in TC2 on E-Train at Shildon!

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 11