Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately Thames colour is spot on for the Wimborne & Horton Light Rly :) had to contact Hattons though as my pre order hadn't been processed due to a glitch that had de selected my card for the default choose card for some odd reason! Now just to resist adding an SR one ;)

The light yellow colour on the Dapol LB&SC does not look right at all, it should be the deeper and darker colour, I don't mind respraying the

loco but the lining is putting me off. 

Are you assuming that the colour was consistent throughout the whole period of application of this livery to the Terriers?  Bearing in mind that colours were mixed in batches as the pigments didn't keep too well.

We are also talking about the period before reliable colour photography.

You MAY be right, on the other hand the shade MAY also be too dark, Or it MAY be right for some locos and wrong for others.  Anyone wish to contact Peter Capaldi for the loan of his time machine?

Just a thought

Les

Hi

Having seen one of the LBSC ones today in the flesh, the colour is darker than it appears in the photos I have seen.

As an aside, be VERY careful taking it out of the packaging. The lamp iron on the coal bunker is easy to break off.

All the best

K

• RMweb Premium

Colours of preserved Terriers in LBSC livery vary - Boxhill as restored at Brighton, Stepney, & Fenchurch as now in a darker almost-brown. Don't think the Dapol models can be dismissed as inaccurate given these variations.

This may be the closest to authentic yellow ochre we will see - a weathered loco via an old 1960s transparency.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/00-0-a-rs-greenwood-C25.jpg.

This was 35 Morden, painted from the same batch as Boxhill was restored from at Brighton in 1947.

Dava

• Like 3

Colours of preserved Terriers in LBSC livery vary - Boxhill as restored at Brighton, Stepney, & Fenchurch as now in a darker almost-brown. Don't think the Dapol models can be dismissed as inaccurate given these variations.

This may be the closest to authentic yellow ochre we will see - a weathered loco via an old 1960s transparency.

This was 35 Morden, painted from the same batch as Boxhill was restored from at Brighton in 1947.

Dava

That's how I would like to finish a model as 32635, I can see it now shunting out of the works gate with some bubble cars on flat wagons.  Oh for a time machine...

Mine arrived at 9am on the dot, big thanks to Tower Models. I also have the two "spare parts" from the top of the tanks which have broken off in transit. Easily fixed, but a bit annoying. Runs well, looks great. I don't think I'll convert it to anything with LNER on the tank sides, but I may have a go at removing the existing lettering. I really only bought it to encourage Dapol to make another O gauge stream loco. Now at some point in the future they'll be working on an N gauge J72........just blow up the CAD drawings a bit...

Hi Confused. Not sure if you have seen this thread on the GOG forum - it looks like your wait for something LNER may not be so long?

http://www.gauge0guild.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5617&whichpage=3

(It's in the RTR section in case the link fails!)

Steve (GOG 21075)

Hi Confused. Not sure if you have seen this thread on the GOG forum - it looks like your wait for something LNER may not be so long?

Steve (GOG 21075)

Hi Steve,

For those of us non-GOG members who cannot access the link... Can you share the secret!?

Cheers,

David

"Are you assuming that the colour was consistent throughout the whole period of application of this livery to the Terriers?  Bearing in mind that colours were mixed in batches as the pigments didn't keep too well.

We are also talking about the period before reliable colour photography.

You MAY be right, on the other hand the shade MAY also be too dark, Or it MAY be right for some locos and wrong for others.  Anyone wish to contact Peter Capaldi for the loan of his time machine?

Just a thought

Les"

I have no idea regards the colour spec but looking at hundreds of photos it points to the colour being darker. My gut feeling is that a lighter yellow would be a very strange colour to paint a working locomotive but an umber brown yellow would be more of a practical colour. Both Gladstone and Boxhill were painted pre 1948 so I expect they would have been close if not the same as the original colour. Anyway I have ordered Thames and see what I think when it arrives.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant

http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/getsingleobject.php?rnum=L1520

Thames was one of the terriers that was sold to Pauling and Co and would have looked like Bishopsgate in the photo Dumb buffers added, condensing pipes and guard irons removed and Pauling and Co. lettering added below the name, but still in Stroudley livery. 

Dava

Where there any spit and polish locos run in BR days - ie for brake van specials etc?

Steve (GOG 21075)

Im a member but dont have a site sign in - any chance of another Link or Photo?

bhj3t2.jpg

Here is a photo of Surrey as used by Pauling & Co. note the condensing pipes have been removed, although in Tom Middlemas book Stroudley & his Terriers he states that Surrey was the only terrier sold to P & C. to retain condensing pipes and 13" cylinders which judging by the photo is not the case.

David

Very nice indeed - charming scene!

As most of you have greater knowledge than me on Terriers, and as a point on interest, how many Terriers were in private hands?

I came across this info; Terrier (32646) sold to LSWR in the early 1900's and then to Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway (Isle of White - in 1914), returned to the mainland in late 1940s - going back to IoW as 'Freshwater' - fascinating stuff!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Gold

While yellow etc were uncommon there are a few examples, the Highland Jones Goods springs to mind plus the Leek & Manifold coaches which were even lighter. In the U.S. Light grey, orange and light blue all adorned steam locos.

In the days when it was considered important to prove the cleaners were doing there job pretty much anything could be kept clean ;)

White lining is common and kept clean so if you want to show off how good the cleaners and crews are why not yellow :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

David,

Not seen the picture of Surrey in Pauling service before. Looks like reinforcement was needed for the dumb buffers, triangulating front and back to the frames. RT models contractors style wagons. Can you send a copy of the picture at higher resolution at all or tell me it's source?

Cheers

Ian

You mean like this?...

Crumbs - that is not good! Come on Dapol - everyone has waited long enough for this loco and it is this sort of poor packing/QC issue that will get a lot of people hot under the collar (and rightly so) very quickly. I couldn't see Lenz letting something like this happen with their rolling stock. I've seen a post on the GOG website that Tower are telling people to go and see Dapol at Telford to complain..........hmmmmmmm.

I've seen a post on the GOG website that Tower are telling people to go and see Dapol at Telford to complain..........hmmmmmmm.

Do I have to travel by British Airways or can I come with DFDS?

Seriously, I sold almost every Lenz 0 gauge I had to switch over to British 7mm. But the poor Dapol quality comparing to Lenz is huge. I know it is my own desccision, but I hope the quality will be better in the next future. And Ok, you are right to say for this price you can't make a Lenz quality loco. But, packaging isn't that difficult I think. Further on, it's such a nice loco...

Cheers,

Henk

• Like 1

Yes, some as mine, both have snapped off at the top of the peg, but should glue back ok with a bit of patience. It didn't appear that the packaging was particularly tight around those parts. I'm 99.5% pleased with the model from a mechanical and finish perspective. Not familiar enough with the prototype to say how faithful it is to the original.

Just noticed the same damage on the Kernow stock photo of the Southern livery example :

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/38626/7S-010-003-Dapol-A1X-Terrier-0-6-0-Steam-Locomotive-number-2644

It would appear to me that these models are quite well packed, the clear plastic holding it firmly in place. Unless the box has been badly damaged in transit, I can't see how it could be anything but a packing fault and, assuming that they were packed where they were made, it's unreasonable to expect Dapol, or the dealers to check every one before despatch. 

Having said that, it's now down to Dapol to take it up with whoever did the packing and make sure it doesn't happen again. An apology, at least, on their website might be nice too!