Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

I think there will be many posts regarding mods to the Dapol Terrier and being new to this forum, I am not sure whether they should be in this topic or perhaps a new topic started in another forum group i.e. Southern Railways or Modelling in 7mm+ etc. ...

Any thoughts?

It might get a bit cumbersome if it all goes on this topic, but we all know where to find it! Provided that anyone who starts a new topic makes it known to this one and gives us a hotlink, I'm sure we'll all "follow the bear".

I'm planning to convert one of mine to an Isle of Wight example, probably W3/W13 Carisbrooke as it means I can keep the Stroudley chimney and won't need to alter the sandbox arrangement. I promise I won't inflict it on anyone 'till it's done.

Hi

Just noticed that on the Tower Models web site in the photos of the 2 improved engine green models the coupling rods have different orientations (ie, the join compared to the middle wheel).

http://www.tower-models.com/towermodels/ogauge/Dapol/dapolloco/index.htm

All the best

K

On all the photo's and plans that I've ever seen, the joint is forward of the centre drivers. I think this is an assembly fault made possible because of the 6ft x 6ft wheel spacing.

Hi all,

took mine down to the Club last night, swapped the coupling rods around and onto the track and ran very well at all speeds, then coupled up to five wagons and again very good steady, non-jerking running. Will be ordering a Zimo 21 pin sound decoder today.

cheers

Mike

attachicon.gifWP_20150827_001.jpg

Hi Mike,

Dapol heavily implied that the 08 and Terrier would use '00' decoders - which also helps keep the price down.

Does anyone know the power consumption yet? Will it run off a "OO" gauge controller, or do I need to start saving up for a bigger one?

Please see the above. As DCC Supplies are involved and are, so I am told, spare parts wholesaler/warranty bods for Dapol, you could try contacting them for the SP.

Hope that helps.

Kindest,

CME

• Like 1

Really like the look of the terrier ,but will any model makers be following this up with some coaches , then I could sell all my LGB,on30,and 00 stock and start again  just need the b*lls to explain to the wife lol.

I built a couple of coaches from plastic card, push pull set 484, following the guidelines in David Jenkinsons excellent book, Carriage Modelling Made Easy - Wild Swan 1996. Don't know if this book is still available but it's well worth tracking down.

post-25253-0-73156400-1440841290_thumb.j

It was my first attempt at 0 scale coach building and I'm quite pleased with the result. I'm current;y building the other set, 483, to run with my Terrier when I convert it to Isle of Wight configuration.

post-25253-0-24878400-1440859409_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I am quite temped by one of these even though I have no use for one and don't model O gauge.

I love the A1 terrier and Thames looks tasty although the colour seems too yellow and not the deeper colour I would expect for the LBSC livery.

Thames was one of the terriers sold to Pauling and Co. for building the GW & GC joint from Northolt to High Wycombe then ended up in South America. photos in the book Stroudley and his Terriers show it still in LBSC ownership but without its condenser pipes.

David

I built a couple of coaches from plastic card, push pull set 484, following the guidelines in David Jenkinsons excellent book, Carriage Modelling Made Easy - Wild Swan 1996. Don't know if this book is still available but it's well worth tracking down.

It was my first attempt at 0 scale coach building and I'm quite pleased with the result. I'm current;y building the other set, 483, to run with my Terrier when I convert it to Isle of Wight configuration.

I, too will be adapting the Terrier to IoW config. and having sold many of my OO gauge stock have purchased 2 Alan Gibson coaches which, with the help of John Fitness' excellent workshop article will be built soon I hope ...

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Alphagraphix did/may still do card kits for IoW Terrier + coach kits, several versions, for £10

It's a low cost way of making some quick coaches, even if the results not great the bodies can be used as scenic features like the originals

He goes to shows & has a catalog, not a website

AnD kits do plasticard Stroudley coaches, they are sometimes at G0G events.

Dava

Edited by Dava

Andy,

We should keep in touch and compare progress. Maybe we should start up a new forum for anyone going down the IoW route. There seems no point in waiting for Dapol to produce an IoW variant. If the gestation period for the Terrier is anything to go by, I might not live that long!

Colin

• Like 1

I hate you all!

I don't model Southern, I have no need of an 0-6-0, particularly one with so many widely publicised flaws, and it probably wouldn't go around the curves on my layout.. the Club layout is post Nationalisation.

So how come a Thames is on it's way to my house, you rotten lot. :scratchhead:

Peter

P.S.

They are rather fetching aren't they, can't really go wrong at that price can you?

Really like the look of the terrier ,but will any model makers be following this up with some coaches , then I could sell all my LGB,on30,and 00 stock and start again  just need the b*lls to explain to the wife lol.

Im sure someone will - its a just a matter time - there are a few other options, which others below have hinted at, which sprang to mind too :) .

SWMBO or PLPS? :angel:  :O  :onthequiet: That's another matter altogether, but as modern men - and as men are women are equals - share your (we all should with our respective partners) concerns, wants and needs with her, women want men to open up and share such inner thoughts with them, to tell them how you (we) really feel - yeah right!  :P  best of luck with that! I'll get me coat! :blackeye:  :D Or do what the fairer sex do with cloths, shoes and handbags - sneak them in when we're are not looking/or about, so do the same with a Terrier (you know that you are worth it - to coin a famous advertising motto)  :yes:

That sounds great - but I couldn't open the/your Link, could you PM it too me please, I'm intrigued :)

Alphagraphix did/may still do card kits for IoW Terrier + coach kits, several versions, for £10

It's a low cost way of making some quick coaches, even if the results not great the bodies can be used as scenic features like the originals

Dava

Yes good idea, or use them as a template for some stronger plastikard models (or as overlays), some do that with their building kits too (and use the whitemetal and plastic parts, windows etc etc on their own finished model).

ATVB

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Thanks for the PM and Link, those coaches look superb, nice work!

I love David Jenkinson's work - never gotten around to scratch building coaches as their nuances (ie with MK1s) seem beyond the bounds of my patience and these days my skill levels too?!

BTW does anyone know what detail differences Dapol have included (in the production models) for the different eras of these long lived locos? Ie how accurate are they or is that too big a question?

With many thanks,

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Dava

Hi. Does anyone have any info on the AnD products Stroudleys or has anyone built any please? Hoping to see some you tube vids of the Terrier running before too long!

(And wouldn't it be great to think this may kick off an interest in late Victorian or Edwardian locos and stock.....D1, E class.....rtr wagons and coaches......sigh!)

I hate you all!

I don't model Southern, I have no need of an 0-6-0, particularly one with so many widely publicised flaws, and it probably wouldn't go around the curves on my layout.. the Club layout is post Nationalisation.

So how come a Thames is on it's way to my house, you rotten lot. :scratchhead:

Peter

P.S.

They are rather fetching aren't they, can't really go wrong at that price can you?

You used to have some track in your loft that you could have used to build a layout for it, if I hadn't got seduced by the idea of buying one months ago :jester:.

• RMweb Premium

I started a AnD products Stroudley balloon brake end. They are cut with a Silhouette cutter or similar so the panels are part-cut. Each side has about 5 overlays to build up the basic shape, glazing frames & panels. I 'paused' it part way through the second side & never resumed, you need patience! Good idea but lots of work.

Dava

Here are some drawings for suitable coaches for one in the next shipment. Worsley Works do sides and ends for some of them.

http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/colonel%20stephens%20society%20drawings%20service-35/index.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, AnD "aids to modelling" - not kits. First the usual disclaimer, no money going into my pocket, guv. I've had some and made one up so far and quite pleased with it. you get a pack of white plastic sheets to build up in layers, i.e. Mouldings, panels with window openings, backing with window holes and drop light frames, sandwich sheet with pockets for glazing, and backing sheet with window holes. All the sheets are cut partway through (laser?) and the waste can quickly be pushed out. if you've ever tried to cut out a "cake plate doily" type of moulding sheet you'll know what a boon this is. Then stick together, paint, put the glazing in, and you've got a coach side with proper mouldings, which is the worst part of coach making out of the way easily and cheaply. There are also ends, floor, roof, and partitions in the sheet, but at some stage you will probably want to beef up the body a bit with some thicker sheet. Then it's underframe, wheels couplings buffers and general details to find and make. It's the cheapest way to get going with some decent coaches in O that I've found.

His range is for 4wheel coaches, I've had LBSC 5comp. 2/3class, 4comp. 1st, 3comp brake 3rd. They're labelled as Billington stock, but I gather it's just roof height and profile to chanGe to backdate to Stroudley stock. Just right for the Terrier. there's also LSWR 4wheel stock, good for The IoW idea, and also some GNoSR 6wheelers. He's a rare bird for shows, possibly a phone call, Dennis Tillman, 01329-286839.

The other way to get Terrier coaches is buying the equivalent complete kits, obviously a dearer but simpler, from www.roxeymouldings.co.uk. I haven't tried any of their products, so unable to comment further.

Will I be buying a Terrier? Well, the price is the most realistic pitch for a model RTR O gauGe loco you'll get. I dunno if it will take my curves, which are very tight; and jUst looking at photos, I have misgivings about the shade of improved engine green it's turned out in. Pity.

Kernow models had the 3 versions in stock today at full rrp of £199.95, did look nice,however

SR version on display had wonky tank filler and handrail and one of the LBSC versions had what looked like glue mark on smokebox...

Kernow models had the 3 versions in stock today at full rrp of £199.95, did look nice,however

SR version on display had wonky tank filler and handrail and one of the LBSC versions had what looked like glue mark on smokebox...

Converting  Billingtons  to  Stroudleys  is  not  just  the  roof  profile.  They  are  also  longer  and  have  wider  doors.

Some  minor  paneling  differences.

But  why  convert?  Billington  4  wheel  stock  is  fine  for  a  Terrier.

Note:  If   IOW  the  brake  ducketts  need  reducing   in  width,  this  was  actually  a  mainland  mod  introduced  in  1911,  only  reduced  width  brakes  fitted the  IOW  loading  gauge.  Many  mainland  vehicles  were  of  course  withdrawn  prior  to  conversion.

D&S  did  do the  push  pull  set  484  in  7mm  in  etched  brass.  I  have  one  and have  seen  them  on  Ebay  (very  rarely)

The  bogie  Push  Pull  set  used  from  1938  on  the  Ventnor  West  branch  has  also  been  availabe  as  etched  kits,  these  are as  the  mainland  sets  and  require  some  alteration  to  the  driving  end  for  IOW.

The  Roxy  LBSC  4  wheelers  are   Stroudleys  and  can  be  bought with  an  additional  pack  of  IOW  specific  bits  if  wanted.

Pete