Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Yes, AnD "aids to modelling" - not kits. First the usual disclaimer, no money going into my pocket, guv. I've had some and made one up so far and quite pleased with it. you get a pack of white plastic sheets to build up in layers, i.e. Mouldings, panels with window openings, backing with window holes and drop light frames, sandwich sheet with pockets for glazing, and backing sheet with window holes. All the sheets are cut partway through (laser?) and the waste can quickly be pushed out. if you've ever tried to cut out a "cake plate doily" type of moulding sheet you'll know what a boon this is. Then stick together, paint, put the glazing in, and you've got a coach side with proper mouldings, which is the worst part of coach making out of the way easily and cheaply. There are also ends, floor, roof, and partitions in the sheet, but at some stage you will probably want to beef up the body a bit with some thicker sheet. Then it's underframe, wheels couplings buffers and general details to find and make. It's the cheapest way to get going with some decent coaches in O that I've found.

His range is for 4wheel coaches, I've had LBSC 5comp. 2/3class, 4comp. 1st, 3comp brake 3rd. They're labelled as Billington stock, but I gather it's just roof height and profile to chanGe to backdate to Stroudley stock. Just right for the Terrier. there's also LSWR 4wheel stock, good for The IoW idea, and also some GNoSR 6wheelers. He's a rare bird for shows, possibly a phone call, Dennis Tillman, 01329-286839.

The other way to get Terrier coaches is buying the equivalent complete kits, obviously a dearer but simpler, from www.roxeymouldings.co.uk. I haven't tried any of their products, so unable to comment further.

Will I be buying a Terrier? Well, the price is the most realistic pitch for a model RTR O gauGe loco you'll get. I dunno if it will take my curves, which are very tight; and jUst looking at photos, I have misgivings about the shade of improved engine green it's turned out in. Pity.

The Billington coaches were about 2ft longer than the earlier Stroudley vehicles and about 8in higher. Also the panelling on the brake was slightly different.

There were 3 billington sets on the IoW, set numbers 497;498 and 499, in addition to 2 Stroudley sets, 495 and 496. All sets were made up of 2 x brake 3rds, 4 comp composite and 5 comp 3rd and close coupled within sets.

Mainland sets were 12 coaches - that's a lot of plastic layers to glue together!

Edited by Overner

Yes, AnD "aids to modelling" - not kits. First the usual disclaimer, no money going into my pocket, guv. I've had some and made one up so far and quite pleased with it. you get a pack of white plastic sheets to build up in layers, i.e. Mouldings, panels with window openings, backing with window holes and drop light frames, sandwich sheet with pockets for glazing, and backing sheet with window holes. All the sheets are cut partway through (laser?) and the waste can quickly be pushed out. if you've ever tried to cut out a "cake plate doily" type of moulding sheet you'll know what a boon this is. Then stick together, paint, put the glazing in, and you've got a coach side with proper mouldings, which is the worst part of coach making out of the way easily and cheaply. There are also ends, floor, roof, and partitions in the sheet, but at some stage you will probably want to beef up the body a bit with some thicker sheet. Then it's underframe, wheels couplings buffers and general details to find and make. It's the cheapest way to get going with some decent coaches in O that I've found.

His range is for 4wheel coaches, I've had LBSC 5comp. 2/3class, 4comp. 1st, 3comp brake 3rd. They're labelled as Billington stock, but I gather it's just roof height and profile to chanGe to backdate to Stroudley stock. Just right for the Terrier. there's also LSWR 4wheel stock, good for The IoW idea, and also some GNoSR 6wheelers. He's a rare bird for shows, possibly a phone call, Dennis Tillman, 01329-286839.

The other way to get Terrier coaches is buying the equivalent complete kits, obviously a dearer but simpler, from www.roxeymouldings.co.uk. I haven't tried any of their products, so unable to comment further.

Will I be buying a Terrier? Well, the price is the most realistic pitch for a model RTR O gauGe loco you'll get. I dunno if it will take my curves, which are very tight; and jUst looking at photos, I have misgivings about the shade of improved engine green it's turned out in. Pity.

Anyone else have any views re the improved engine green colour? Whilst in NO WAY wishing to 'Dapol bash', the reproductions I have seen look on the light side and not quite 'orange' enough, but I know that reproducing photos can change colour enormously. Any thoughts, folks?  It won't stop me from buying one!

I am now going to make a shocking confession...please be seated.

I do not model 'O' gauge, I am not a S.R. fan, I am hoping to move into 4mmNG, I have no intention to buy any 7mm stock, I have one on order with Kernow.................. to put in my display cabinet. My only possible defence?  12 months ago SWMBO said 'Ooh! I like that little loco...'

There, I have said it, I feel better now.

Doug

• Like 1

I do not model 'O' gauge, I am not a S.R. fan, I am hoping to move into 4mmNG, I have no intention to buy any 7mm stock, I have one on order with Kernow.................. to put in my display cabinet. My only possible defence?  12 months ago SWMBO said 'Ooh! I like that little loco...'

Doug

You'll have to get a length of flextrack to run it on occasionally, though. :yes:

Then a couple of wagons for it to pull. :yes: :yes:

Maybe a coach, & a bit more track. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Slippery slope, Doug. Slippery slope. Welcome to O Scale. :D :sungum:

• Like 2

You'll have to get a length of flextrack to run it on occasionally, though. :yes:

Then a couple of wagons for it to pull. :yes: :yes:

Maybe a coach, & a bit more track. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Slippery slope, Doug. Slippery slope. Welcome to O Scale. :D :sungum:

AAAaagh!   [Runs screaming from the room]Those little yellow nodding smileys are my Nemises...

Edited by Chubber

Resist...resist...resist...

Change the roof, raise the front and rear spectacle plates, remove some of the pipework, remove the outside brake rods, add the sandboxes to the front splashers, move the dome, replace the funnel, respray it black and it could almost resemble a J72. 

Yes I know its would only loosely resemble a J72 - for a start the footplate / buffer relationship is wrong, but at the price I'm more than prepared to convince myself. Thats enough justification, order placed!

I like your optimism  :derisive:  Why not keep the faith... we might get the real thing one day!!  

• RMweb Premium

I joined this thread at about page 20, when I thought the new Terrier will be out, what do people think? Then I posted #499 about coaches for it. Since then I've read the thread from the start, it's been a long wait but you've all had such fun. I don't claim to be a Brighton expert, some of the folks on this thread have a marvellous low-down on these engines. I'm building a small BLT with short points, and need small tank engines pulling short coaches, as much from perversity playing trains rather than following the high standards that should be aspired to. The LBSC 1880 style fitted the requirements I wanted.

I'm daft posting a picture of my work when Dapol's product has now appeared, and I think they should be congratulated on doing a model of this quality for the price it is. The points I want to show, are:

A) an AnD coach kit made up. The appalling lack of detail underneath is entirely down to me, must do better.

B) a grotty loco from my fair hands, the point here being the colour. Some time back I was talking to that nice Mr.Phoenix, and he wouldn't give me a tin of the paint I wanted for another line because he'd never found a reliable sample to form a match, the point being he is producing Improved Engine Green, No.476, and this, unadulterated, is what the loco is painted. You can allow that a sample from a full size loco is dark on a model, but to me it's rather like mustard, the Dapol engine is English mustard, mine is French mustard. I know from experience that the colour a loco. Is painted can guarantee a punch-up, sits back and waits....

Here is my post, those of a sensitive disposition may wish to leave the room now:post-26540-0-29502000-1440964201_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Doug

I had absolutely no intention of ever modelling in O gauge. Never ever. It would absolutely never happen. I thought I might do something in O-16.5 one day, but had been thinking that for 40 years without anything happening. I was thinking of getting an Oxford Adams Radial to start off my long thought about Colonel Stephens layout in 4mm. But then discovered Dapol were doing a Kent & East Sussex Terrier! I now seem to be building my first O and O-16.5 layout!!!

So when are you starting your O gauge layout Chubber?

The light yellow colour on the Dapol LB&SC does not look right at all, it should be the deeper and darker colour, I don't mind respraying the

loco but the lining is putting me off. 

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks the colour is wrong.I totally agree that it IS too light. Grrrrrrr.

Strange dream last night, apparently I sat bolt upright [something I find difficult to do at alarm-clock time, let alone 0300], and shouted

"O gauge! Oh Bo%%0cks!"

and lay down again.

This is probably something to do with recently getting my milly-meeters, inches and rod, pole and perches mixed up when I ordered this.....

post-106-0-51903100-1441013260.jpg

thinking I could be clever like Kenton and build something OO9 around it.

Around it? I'll have to find it again as I dropped it in the fluff under the bench and it's disappeared.

BG John...I will not start an 'O' gauge layout, I will no........Vade retro Satanus!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Lining available from Guilplates. Specifically for an A class. I bought three sets a couple of weeks ago. I still  have kit locos to build! Oh, a D3 set also on the sheet!

Cheers

Ian

post-2173-0-74161100-1441014847_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianmaccormac

• RMweb Premium

Burgundy on here is the Brighton Circle modelling steward.

The web master for the Circle has a page on 7mm modelling here

www.lbscr.org

Go to the Models section and then 7mm. Lots of info.

Cheers

Ian  member of the Brighton Circle

Picked up mine on Saturday.  Looks amazing, but I had to re-attach one of the rear buffers and one of the front ones which were both very loose.  I have also had to turn the rods around to get the joint in the right place.

Still happy with the model though.

I would like to do 32635 Brighton Works. I did initially consider one in Brighton Yellow, but it's an A, so would need the later brake blocks and extended smoke box. I wonder if it's worth hoping for that to be produced.

Somewhere in a book is a shot of it running along the harbour branch at Newhaven. It's one of the few steam loco's I remember from my childhood in Brighton.

Maybe the lining mentioned above offers a solution.

Hi all, I ordered a Terrier in "Brighton" LBSCR livery. The last few years I bought myself a couple of Lenz 0 Gauge models to build me a layout in the future. Because of the organisation of the "OntraXs!" Railshow in the railwaymuseum in Utrecht my own modelrailway plans came on second or third place. Got a family too. When I saw the Dapol Terrier an old love came back to me. I almost have every Lenz loco sold and I know the future will be a small layout with at least one Dapol Terrier. I pre ordered it from Tower Models, but I havn't got it yet. Like every one, I can hardly wait for it.

One problem is that both the A1's to date have early wooded brake blocks. These were updated to iron long before rebuilding to A1X so a whole period in their lives is missed out unless, at some point, Dapol combine an A1 with a later brake moulding. Presumably the two brake mouldings are interchangeable.

The Brighton works loco was a fairly standard A1X in LBSCR colours. The Dapol SR green version is almost an exact match only needing the removal of the 'Torpedo' extensions on the tank tops - and a repaint of course. Incidentally, it originally carried the number 377S until 1959 when it was taken back into capital stock as 32635 but still in Stroudley livery. It was withdrawn and scrapped in 1963.