Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

One of the pitfalls of having equal spacing of the wheelbase :O Mine are also 'back to front' and I think that before I try and sort it out myself, I will contact Dapol to ask how the crankpins are fitted to the wheels I do not wish to go down a re-quartering road.

Otherwise I am very pleased with it.

cheers

Mike

No problems changing the rods over, the crankpins are simply screwed into the wheels. Changing took me about 10 minutes and it runs as sweet as ever.

Hi all,

I have contacted Dapol regarding the lack of any information sheet in the box and received a reply within the hour with an attachment - 'Maintenance and DCC decoder installation sheet' -which should have been in the box, together with a 24 month warranty (also attached to the email). I also enquired about how the crankpins were fitted to the wheels and will have to wait for a reply from the Technical Manager who is away at present. There is a 21 pin board fitted with a DC 'blanking plate' o fitting a decoder should be straightforward.

cheers

Mike

Overner

Fascinating picture of 2644; can I ask where it was taken?

If you want to see the sort of Terrier us coarse-scalers are running, have a look at my thread as linked below.

BTW, Dapol have got the brake blocks right on the Stroudley livery ones. I think that only the last few had iron brake-blocks from new, "Crowborough" for instance, and the rest were converted as time went by, so dating ones layout to match "Waddon" as supplied by Dapol might be an important question. Coarse-scale Terriers don't have brake-blocks, so layout-dating us less of a challenge.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Just received an email from Hattons to say my pre-order has been processed and it should be on its way tomorrow ... Has anyone removed the body yet? I will be converting to Radio Control so need to find space for a decent capacity LiPo battery(s).

Thanks .. Andy

Removing the body is straightforward. Take out the 4 screws arrowed (almost hidden behind the brake rodding) and it simply lifts off. 

post-25253-0-15911400-1440692164_thumb.jpgpost-25253-0-67876100-1440692188_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Overner

If you want to see the sort of Terrier us coarse-scalers are running, have a look at my thread as linked below.

BTW, Dapol have got the brake blocks right on the Stroudley livery ones. I think that only the last few had iron brake-blocks from new, "Crowborough" for instance, and the rest were converted as time went by, so dating ones layout to match "Waddon" as supplied by Dapol might be an important question. Coarse-scale Terriers don't have brake-blocks, so layout-dating us less of a challenge.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I had no idea but an earlier response said it was at Havant an 1937 - no reason not to believe it.

Removing the body is straightforward. Take out the 4 screws arrowed (almost hidden behind the brake rodding) and it simply lifts off. 

post-25253-0-67876100-1440692188_thumb.j

Is that brassy looking thing a flywheel? Mine will be running on a very short 3-2-2 inglenook to start with, so I hope it will stop quickly!

Overner

Kevin

The picture is taken from the Hayling Island bay platform of Havant Station. You can find the white building with the arch behind the loco coal bunker on Google Streetview at 24 Waterloo Road, Havant.

Edited by Fay Sets the Pace

Thanks, Overner.

Yes, could be. And, if you look in the background behind the loco, I think there is a pile of concrete troughing lids, which would be just the sort of thing kicking-around during electrification works, which were just coming to a conclusion in 1937.

K

And, thanks Fay, too.

That seals it. The loco would have puffed past by Grandparents' home as it left Hayling, wherein was probably my Grandmother, who was imminently expecting the arrival of my mother in summer 1937.

Photo credit to Sidney Perrier, August 1937. I just found a load more of his work on Flickr - remarkable!

Edited by Nearholmer

It's here...........

Wow, just picking chin off floor........

Seriously impressed with the whole thing.  I'm sure there will be some moaning, you know the stuff....  However the basic loco is just right.

Had a very short test run, nice....

attachicon.gif0001 terrier 01.JPG

attachicon.gif0001 terrier 03.JPG

attachicon.gif0001 terrier 04.JPG

attachicon.gif0001 terrier 05.JPG

attachicon.gif0001 terrier 06.JPG

Hat has now been consumed.

I am no Terrier expert yet I have to say that they look charming - even better with some weathering.

I hope that Dapol and the retailers are making a profit from them as they seem superbly priced, glad to see that Dapol have turned a corner.

Hi all,

took mine down to the Club last night, swapped the coupling rods around and onto the track and ran very well at all speeds, then coupled up to five wagons and again very good steady, non-jerking running. Will be ordering a Zimo 21 pin sound decoder today.

cheers

Mike

post-6951-0-64995900-1440747390.jpg

• Like 9

Be interesting to see how good the Dapol sound project is (must admit I'd probably look at fitting my own if I do give in to temptation- I wonder if there's space for an extra speaker in the bunker, the "factory fit" space looks to be in the boiler). If they've used the same guy that Lionheart uses it should sound the part. I'd want to fit a keepalive myself but that's just personal preference now.  

Shame that the SR one missed the condensing pipes (given that they've got tooling for them) but that should be an easy addition- probably easier to add than take away, couple of bits of sprue and some thin washers or similar should do the trick.

I was suitably impressed by the appearance of the (non motorised) paint samples, so it's good to know that they run well too :)   

Its gone quiet on here from the moaners. So what is next on their list :jester:

The issue is not the quality of the model, which I didn't doubt with Richard Webster's involvement, but the unacceptably long flash-to-bang time from announcement to eventual delivery. I am looking forward to receiving my DCC sound-fitted purchase.

• Like 2

Possibly a lot of issues in Dapol and other things we will never know about for certain that affected the time from announcement to delivery.

Lets look to the future now and use this along with your efforts as a bench mark for things to come.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the power consumption yet? Will it run off a "OO" gauge controller, or do I need to start saving up for a bigger one?

Mine was pulling 0.15amps (as showing on a Helmsman 5 amp controller) last night with the five wagons in tow, regardless of speed. I will be asking Digitrains if they have any 'inside knowledge' as to best type to use but I would think that an OO decoder or controller should suffice.

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi there

Just got mine yesterday, and l am very impressed with the model. Well done Dapol !.

I ve tested mine on a few lengths of Peco track using an old H&M Duette controller. whilst not a state of the art controller, the model ran very well straight from the box,  abet slightly noisy in reverse, the controller did not trip out due to current demands from the loco. However that is the loco running without a load behind it.

I think there will be many posts regarding mods to the Dapol Terrier and being new to this forum, I am not sure whether they should be in this topic or perhaps a new topic started in another forum group i.e. Southern Railways or Modelling in 7mm+ etc. ...

Any thoughts?