Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

The gift that keeps on giving? Fenchurch in Newhaven Harbour Co. livery and DS 636 in Brighton Works livery yet to come...

Dava

• RMweb Premium

The gift that keeps on giving? Fenchurch in Newhaven Harbour Co. livery and DS 636 in Brighton Works livery yet to come...

Dava

Is DS 636 correct? I don't remember ever reading about Fenchurch (72, later 636) or Bramley (36) ever being work locos...

• 1 month later...

I have just bought a new sound fitted Terrier from the first batch (⌗2644 in Southern livery) and I have a problem with the running and I will try and explain what I mean.

If I start off at slow speed it stops just about every revolution of the wheels and sometimes there is a slight buzzing from the motor or speaker and sometimes not. If I turn up to half speed or so it will run but when I reverse it stops again. If I do get it to run in reverse it seems to lurch along as though it has a tight spot. I did notice that sometimes it rocks on the centre axle and if I put it in my ‘maintenance’ cradle one wheel on the centre axle has reasonable up and down movement but the other side not so much! As I say, it is new so I don’t want to tinker just in case I need to send it back.

I have another Terrier and it runs fine, as does my Peckett and my kit-built locos so I would say there is no problem with the track or controller. (NCE Power cab)

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Edited by Willy

Willy.........  you  dont  say  where it  was  purchased,  but   I would  simply  return  it  and  ask  for  a  refund  and  repayment  of  your  postal  costs,  most  retailers  are  happy  to  do  this  without any  problems.

Willy.........  you  dont  say  where it  was  purchased,  but   I would  simply  return  it  and  ask  for  a  refund  and  repayment  of  your  postal  costs,  most  retailers  are  happy  to  do  this  without any  problems.

Willy

If it runs that badly out of the box I would just send it straight back. If you start tinkering they may well not take it back.

John

Thank you both.

I purchased it from Antics and I am sure there would be no trouble returning it for a full refund or a replacement.

I was just hoping that there may be a simple solution without returning it because that is the last one in that livery. 

Edited by Willy

Hi Willy,

It sounds to me like the quartering is out especially if the wheels lock up on each revolution , and the buzzing is the motor straining to turnover.

If it's not the quartering then it sounds like the bushes are binding on the centre axle, in which case you might need to ream the bushes out a fraction.

Hope this is of some help.

Martyn.

Hi Willy,

It sounds to me like the quartering is out especially if the wheels lock up on each revolution , and the buzzing is the motor straining to turnover.

If it's not the quartering then it sounds like the bushes are binding on the centre axle, in which case you might need to ream the bushes out a fraction.

Hope this is of some help.

Martyn.

Thank you Martyn and you are probably right but I have only had it a week and it is brand new so I think I will return it. 

I am keeping an eye on ‘Church Norton’ and it is coming along nicely, I am very impressed.

I have just bought a new sound fitted Terrier from the first batch (⌗2644 in Southern livery) and I have a problem with the running and I will try and explain what I mean.

If I start off at slow speed it stops just about every revolution of the wheels and sometimes there is a slight buzzing from the motor or speaker and sometimes not. If I turn up to half speed or so it will run but when I reverse it stops again. If I do get it to run in reverse it seems to lurch along as though it has a tight spot. I did notice that sometimes it rocks on the centre axle and if I put it in my ‘maintenance’ cradle one wheel on the centre axle has reasonable up and down movement but the other side not so much! As I say, it is new so I don’t want to tinker just in case I need to send it back.

I have another Terrier and it runs fine, as does my Peckett and my kit-built locos so I would say there is no problem with the track or controller. (NCE Power cab)

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Willy,

This sounds like the problem many had with the first batch of sound fitted Terriers.

The problem is with the add-on interference suppression circuit board and is well known to Dapol. They have a solution available via DCC Supplies who will change the faulty/incorrect components for you.

Contact DCC Supplies and they will repair your model so you get back the one with the livery you need.

(Actually, the suppression circuit is not needed when you have a decoder fitted so if you are confident enough, you could remove the small board below the board with the decoder socket, and solder the orange and grey motor wires to the main PCB direct).

I am not advising you to remove the suppression PCB, although I have done this sucessfully to several Dapol Terriers. I just added the note for completeness as you asked for a 'not return to base' solution.

My advice is to contact DCC Supplies to arrange for a repair.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Willy,

This sounds like the problem many had with the first batch of sound fitted Terriers.

The problem is with the add-on interference suppression circuit board and is well known to Dapol. They have a solution available via DCC Supplies who will change the faulty/incorrect components for you.

Contact DCC Supplies and they will repair your model so you get back the one with the livery you need.

(Actually, the suppression circuit is not needed when you have a decoder fitted so if you are confident enough, you could remove the small board below the board with the decoder socket, and solder the orange and grey motor wires to the main PCB direct).

I am not advising you to remove the suppression PCB, although I have done this sucessfully to several Dapol Terriers. I just added the note for completeness as you asked for a 'not return to base' solution.

My advice is to contact DCC Supplies to arrange for a repair.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul, very useful. I thought the problem was mechanical and I hadn’t considered that there may be a problem with the ‘electronics’. 

I will contact DCC Supplies in the morning and see what they say.

Thanks again.

Willy

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody heard when these are going to be out, as they said the end of July. As we are now in to August and still no news. Nothing on Dapol web site.

Peter answered that two posts up ;)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Note that it's not Waddon as preserved though. The dome is in the position for an A1 boiler, and Waddon was rebuilt to have an A1X boiler, but retained the A1 smokebox. So it's in original as-built condition.

Edited by Ian J.

Now I can buy both "Fishbourne" and "Gipsyhill" the Terrier I would be really like next is a model of "Fishbourne" in later BR livery after its return to the mainland to work the Hayling Island branch as No. 32650. The ex-IoW Terriers retained their larger coal bunkers after their return.

http://haylingbillyheritage.org/wp-content/uploads/!cid_4B5DFA08-EAC9-4577-825B-52535A15E8D3@cable_virginmedia-1024x690.jpg

Edited by Fay Sets the Pace
  • Like 1