Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Dear All,

A question regarding repainting the Dapol Terrier?.

Anyone with any experiences, I have heard there is a problem directly painting on the Dapol varnished finish ie paint doesn't adhere so well?....

Before I embark I'd appreciate any advice please

Best wishes

Michael

It depends on which livery is already applied (and the new livery), ie the thickness & shape of the existing lining, we know BR used to over paint liveries and one could see lining underneath the new finish, but on a model? Ends up looking like poor painting/modelling. So better safe than sorry....strip the model back using proprietory paint-stripper or disenfectant and then clean thoroughtly reprime and repaint.

Hope that helps.

Atvb

CME

I repainted the IEG using Tamiya acrylic straight over the Dapol paint with no problems at all. Have a look at the pictures on www.smithslayouts.com ... I've done three so far.

Peter

Thats interesting to hear Peter, some models are like that, but such can be a risky strategy, if an unknown....thanks for Posting.

BTW your LINK doesnt seem to work.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I repainted the IEG using Tamiya acrylic straight over the Dapol paint with no problems at all. Have a look at the pictures on www.smithslayouts.com ... I've done three so far.

Peter

Many thanks Peter, much appreciated

Best wishes

Michael

Thank you Norman.

I have done as you suggest and unfortunately the problem persists and when I fit the decoder from the other loco to this board there is no problem!

The other thing is, the ‘faulty’ decoder gets very hot and I don’t know if that is significant! 

Thanks again.  

Willy

After an email to DCC Supplies they agreed to take the decoder back and check it. They confirmed that it was faulty and they replaced it under warranty.

Willy

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tower Models have announced the 2018 run of Terriers, livery options include:

http://www.tower-models.com/

Fenchurch in Marsh LBSC brown

LSWR and SECR green

BR lined black, plain unlined black

Base price held at GBP 189

No 'Brighton Works' in full LBSC or Fenchurch in Newahven Harbour Company, not next year anyway.

Weblink corrected from slow learning iPad

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tower Models have announced the 2018 run of Terriers, livery options include:

http://www.derbyshireheritage.co.uk/Menu/Industries/hardstoft_oilwell.php

Fenchurch in Marsh LBSC brown

LSWR and SECR green

BR lined black, plain unlined black

Base price held at GBP 189

No 'Brighton Works' in full LBSC or Fenchurch in Newahven Harbour Company, not next year anyway.

Dava

I wish they would stop releasing these - I have absolutely no need for one, not even my scale, but they are lovely. every year I resist but it is getting harder and harder.

​Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Going to have to get an other one. Not a surprise though I had a chat with Dapol at Gilford at Christmas and they said they were doing the LSWR and SECR liveries. All I can say our LSWR coaches are selling fast in both kit and RTR. If people want them there is now a waiting list.

Marc 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just the one. It was bought to run on one of their light railways on the north Kent coast, but was replaced by a railmotor before it got there. I think it was used for shunting in London.

marc 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aternoon all,

After a complete repaint into proper Stroudley colours, lots of lining, removal of non original parts, a new crew and whilst waiting for number plates Stepney needs some sound.

Can anyone recommend an after sales sound chip and speaker for ease of fitting etc....

Also how does one post a picture the right way up here?????

thanks in advance 

Michael

post-30410-0-18703500-1502888295_thumb.jpg

Aternoon all,

After a complete repaint into proper Stroudley colours, lots of lining, removal of non original parts, a new crew and whilst waiting for number plates Stepney needs some sound.

Can anyone recommend an after sales sound chip and speaker for ease of fitting etc....

thanks in advance 

Michael

I didnt realise that Dapol did the 7mm Terrier with magnahesion!! :jester: ......I'll get me coat! :mosking:  :mosking:  :mosking:

I am not sure why your photo is inverted, may I suggest that you use a photo editor for resizing and also for rotating the photo into the correct orientation - there are a few free to use versions on the net if you dont already have such an App or programme ('program' [sic]).

ATVB

CME

PS I use:- http://www.irfanview.com/

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I didnt realise that Dapol did the 7mm Terrier with magnahesion!! :jester: ......I'll get me coat! :mosking:  :mosking:  :mosking:

I am not sure why your photo is inverted, may I suggest that you use a photo editor for resizing and also for rotating the photo into the correct orientation - there are a few free to use versions on the net if you dont already have such an App or programme ('program' [sic]).

ATVB

CME

PS I use:- http://www.irfanview.com/

Thank you so much for your most informative suggestion......

KESR rebuild of Terrier A1 tank loco as an 0-6-0 tender loco using parts from an Ilfracombe Goods.

The story line is that in the 1930's when things were bleak financially the loco foreman at Rolvenden had a quandary.  He needed a loco with a bigger water capacity than a terrier and decided to couple it to the spare tender from an Ilfracombe Goods.....

Would he have removed the tanks from the terrier, or kept them as an aid to adhesion?  The water capacity was 500 gallons as built, the Ilfracombe tender was rated at 2000 gallons so would give 4 times the range.

Thoughts / Comments please...

post-2484-0-26848100-1502985312.jpg

I'm afraid I think they'd keep the tanks, the terriers being pretty light on their feet to start with. A purpose built tender 060 of terrier size ought to be just about plausible, but it's tender would be of matching proportions.

• 2 weeks later...

Aternoon all,

thanks in advance 

Michael

Are you posting from Australia? I've got to upload all my pictures rotated 180 degrees so they appear correct in the Northern Hemisphere. 

KESR rebuild of Terrier A1 tank loco as an 0-6-0 tender loco using parts from an Ilfracombe Goods.

The story line is that in the 1930's when things were bleak financially the loco foreman at Rolvenden had a quandary. He needed a loco with a bigger water capacity than a terrier and decided to couple it to the spare tender from an Ilfracombe Goods.....

Would he have removed the tanks from the terrier, or kept them as an aid to adhesion? The water capacity was 500 gallons as built, the Ilfracombe tender was rated at 2000 gallons so would give 4 times the range.

Thoughts / Comments please...

terrier tender 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see Hattons now have 32650 in BR lined black (hopefully with the large coal bunker from service on the IoW) and Terriers in SECR and LSWR liveries available for preorder.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/295225/Dapol_7S_010_012_Class_A1X_Terrier_0_6_0T_32650_in_BR_lined_black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

http://haylingbillyheritage.org/wp-content/uploads/!cid_4B5DFA08-EAC9-4577-825B-52535A15E8D3@cable_virginmedia-1024x690.jpg

Edited by andrewwaite1

Hi folks,

Anyone know of a Southern Railway green no 2644 loco for sale, perhaps ones forgotten about on a shop shelf somewhere and needs a home? Either sound or non sound would do.

The

George

Edit: Purchased on yesterday and it should be winging its was to me in the next day or two :)

Edited by Georgeconna