Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to hear you guys got some bargains. Were they seconds/returns?

BTW - Does anyone know if anyone does a spark arrestor casting for these?

ATVB

CME

Did you get any reply regarding the spark arrestor? Is the flat top, sheet or mesh. I’m thinking it’s mesh as a sheet would interfere with the blast.

In the past I made some mesh for a CCT out of very thin wire from flex, wrapped around a piece of card and soldered. Maybe forming around a chalk former then dissolving the former.

• RMweb Premium

Rather interestingly, the “Brighton Works” version is claimed to be painted Stroudley yellow, and the picture shows that it seems to be a rather closer match than the lemon yellow that the first batch of Terriers came in.

• RMweb Premium

I'm starting to retrofit DCC to some of my RTR locos, including 'Bodiam'.

It may have been covered on here, but if you wanted to fit a DCC sound decoder to a Dapol Terrier, what is the best chip and sound file?

Did the DC option come with speaker fitted, or just the space in the tank?

Any advice welcome from folks who've done this.

Thanks

Dava

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to retrofit DCC to some of my RTR locos, including 'Bodiam'.

It may have been covered on here, but if you wanted to fit a DCC sound decoder to a Dapol Terrier, what is the best chip and sound file?

Did the DC option come with speaker fitted, or just the space in the tank?

Any advice welcome from folks who've done this.

Thanks

Dava

I have the Digitrains Zimo MX644D with sound file ZS019 in mine.  Speaker is Zimo LS 26x20x8, 8 ohm.  I'm satisfied.

People in North America should know that Digitrains no longer ship here.  Howes do though.

John

So long as he has the sound I am looking for I wouldn't get my sound decoders from anyone other than youchoos, very good service and very helpful, two things I haven't found with some other more popular suppliers.

As far as I am aware youchoos ship world wide.

David

Edited by David4472

• 2 weeks later...

What to think about this. We have had the color discussions about the “improved green” when the A1 came from Dapol. And now I saw this pre order loco from “Gaugemaster Collection” in a much darker “improved green”. Hattons price £184,- and even a £179,95 by Rails of Sheffield.

Details: Class: A1x Terrier Livery: LB&SCR Stroudly Green Era: 2 (1875 - 1922) Wheel Configuration: 0-6-0 Finish: Pristine

Specifications: Decoder: 21 Pin Ready Couplings: NEM Minimum Radius: Radius 1 Track Supply: 12v DC

Locomotive Features: Sprung Buffers Sprung Coupling Hook Three Link Couplings Exterior Detail Interior Detail Beautifully Painted Body Fitted Hand Rails Firebox Glow 21 Pin DCC READY Cast Profiled Wheels with Appropriate Colouring Tungsten Chassis All Wheel Pick-ups 5 Pole Motor with Refined Gearing.

post-27080-0-42223300-1532899348.jpeg

• Like 1

What to think about this. We have had the color discussions about the “improved green” when the A1 came from Dapol. And now I saw this pre order loco from “Gaugemaster Collection” in a much darker “improved green”. Hattons price £184,- and even a £179,95 by Rails of Sheffield.

Details: Class: A1x Terrier Livery: LB&SCR Stroudly Green Era: 2 (1875 - 1922) Wheel Configuration: 0-6-0 Finish: Pristine

Specifications: Decoder: 21 Pin Ready Couplings: NEM Minimum Radius: Radius 1 Track Supply: 12v DC

Locomotive Features: Sprung Buffers Sprung Coupling Hook Three Link Couplings Exterior Detail Interior Detail Beautifully Painted Body Fitted Hand Rails Firebox Glow 21 Pin DCC READY Cast Profiled Wheels with Appropriate Colouring Tungsten Chassis All Wheel Pick-ups 5 Pole Motor with Refined Gearing.

At first glance it looks like a very nice model, but a tad too dark? Chimney fit looks better than early versions......always hard to tell livery colours on a phone/computer screen though Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium

Actually, it [36325] looks much closer than earlier models to the shade found on 'Boxhill' and 'Stepney' as restored and very difficult to resist. But colour is light and medium dependent. On looking closely it has the correct A1x boiler, unlike 'Boxhill' it replaced as Brighton Works Shunter, but should have iron not wood brake blocks. 'Boxhill' running as 'Loco Works Brighton' never carried this livery.

They had complicated lives, those Terriers!

Edited by Dava

Actually, it [36325] looks much closer than earlier models to the shade found on 'Boxhill' and 'Stepney' as restored and very difficult to resist. But colour is light and medium dependent. On looking closely it has the correct A1x boiler, unlike 'Boxhill' it replaced as Brighton Works Shunter, but should have iron not wood brake blocks. 'Boxhill' running as 'Loco Works Brighton' never carried this livery.

They had complicated lives, those Terriers!

Agreed manufactures, have a hard time modelling such locos as longevity equals lots of liveries but thus lots of changes too, a double edged sword. I looked up the livery - more photos I'm afraid so subjective - and it does, at second glance, look better, I stand corrected. It looks very smart though, even if the brakes look to be incorrect. Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Agreed manufactures, have a hard time modelling such locos as longevity equals lots of liveries but thus lots of changes too, a double edged sword. I looked up the livery - more photos I'm afraid so subjective - and it does, at second glance, look better, I stand corrected. It looks very smart though, even if the brakes look to be incorrect.

The Iron Blocks are correct.  32635 was renumbered from 377S in 1959, so the paint scheme is good for 1959 until scrapping.

• RMweb Premium

There is a link to Richard Greenwood's colour photo of 32635 in workworn Brighton Works livery here. Possibly taken just before scrapping in 1963 as when on railtour duty before that it was nicely spruced up. Note the cast iron brake blocks!

post-14654-0-05150900-1532979167_thumb.jpg 

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/00-0-a-rs-greenwood-C25.jpg

Edited by Dava
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...