Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• 2 weeks later...

This might have been mentioned earlier but while I was installing sound in my Terrier ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102868-Dapol-terrier-with-zimo-mx644d/ post 21)  I noticed the center crankpin had wound itself almost all the way out.  The other side was also loose.  Checking gently with pliers the front and rear crankpins seemed tight.  I removed the center crankpins, appied thread lok Loctite and reinstalled.  CA should not be used because if the pins ever have to be removed there's a good chance the pins will shear.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing battle lately with my Terrier.  Some of this is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102868-Dapol-terrier-with-zimo-mx644d/

I've also had some issues with smooth running.  I did tweak a drivers quartering which seemed to improve things. (Not an easy task, at least the way I did it, which was to remove the brake gear and keeper plate.  I removed the wheelset which, for me is the easiest way to see if anythings out of quarter.  The brake gear is easily damaged.)

I still had some tight spots.  I have a couple of ways to alleviate these:

1)  As mentioned above, I noticed a crank pin had wound its way out.  This, to me is a sign of tightness.  The pin came out again, so this time I reamed the coupling rod hole ever so slightly on both sides.  This helped.

2)  Bedding in.  I scrape flakes of Jewellers Rouge into a small container and mix with 3 in 1 oil.  I paint some of this on the crankpins and run the loco static (I hold it on the track) in both directions for quite a long time.  You may even feel/hear things quietening down.  Repeat the oil application several times.  After a couple of hours, the loco now runs, or I should say, glides along the track.  Once finished, wipe the oil off, apply some neat 3 in 1 and give the loco a run to remove the abrasive.

John

• 1 month later...

I have no idea if this matter has been discussed somewhere in the last 51 pages, but -

today I inspected two terriers that have been in a fairly cool at night room just recently - only to find that all four works plates have fallen off.  Seems the glue has failed in the sub-zero temperatures! 

I have no idea if this matter has been discussed somewhere in the last 51 pages, but -

today I inspected two terriers that have been in a fairly cool at night room just recently - only to find that all four works plates have fallen off.  Seems the glue has failed in the sub-zero temperatures! 

Unfortunately not an uncommon problem. Nothing to do with temperatures both of my LBSCR locos have had that problem.  I managed to loose two plates.

Marc

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now showing as out of stock, as at 18:31, 18/03/2018.

That might have been due to me. It turned up today and what a lovely looking model it is too. £100 was far too cheap!

Hi All,

Got mine yesterday, what a bargain. I am going to give it a new chimney and repaint it as 32678 in early BR black. Here it is on the beginnings of my layout.

post-7006-0-68981500-1521838920_thumb.jpg

With it's KESR sisters.

post-7006-0-18557500-1521838958_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to hear you guys got some bargains. Were they seconds/returns?

They were sold as being new, and given the experience of the shop, with this sort of offer in the past I have always received brand-new models rather than seconds/returns.  

They were sold as being new, and given the experience of the shop, with this sort of offer in the past I have always received brand-new models rather than seconds/returns.

Interesting, thanks.

Makes me wonder what production, packaging and logistics costs are and how AND if any money is being made (and if so what part of the supply and value chains).

Take off VAT and one is left in the £80 plus bracket.....

Fair play to you though.

Atb

CME

• 2 months later...

For those awaiting the next batch of O gauge Terriers; decorated samples were on show on dapols stand at the Gauge O Guild Doncaster show. The livery on both the LsWR and SECR versions looked great as did Fenchurch in umber (although I thought terriers only carried their names when in improved engine green livery?).

The Dapol rep stated that they were expecting delivery in August.

Greg

Fenchurch in umber with its name did exist, but only in preservation. After the Bluebell carried out work to return her to A1 condition, the powers that be decided that it should be painted in lined umber, which I don't think she would have carried, as she was the property of the Newhaven Docks company and I suspect was painted black, and the name was (incorrectly) applied, as the Bluebell did with the E4 Birch Grove, in the early days of the preserved line.

• RMweb Premium

Fenchurch in Newhaven Harbour Co. Livery, or Morden as the Brighton Works Shunter, would both be attractive special issues, both were A1x class but with different bunkers.

The Dapol bargain NQP specials at shows always go quickly, as at Doncaster yesterday.

For those awaiting the next batch of O gauge Terriers; decorated samples were on show on dapols stand at the Gauge O Guild Doncaster show. The livery on both the LsWR and SECR versions looked great as did Fenchurch in umber (although I thought terriers only carried their names when in improved engine green livery?).

The Dapol rep stated that they were expecting delivery in August.

Greg

Did they include the steam blower on the SECR version? (it was missing on the spring style drawing).