Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Over the past few days I have been cutting and shutting a pair of LMS 12 wheeled restaurant cars. I got to the stage of putting the ends on the modified sides and noticed the Restaurant Second was shorter than the Restaurant First by 4mm.
Checked both drawings, it was not my modelling. The RF was scanned into the computer so I could cut and paste the windows and doors for the corridor side, had I scaled that wrong? No.

Checked the RS which was from a drawing showing both sides in Jenkinson's LMS coach drawing book. That was the problem. Had my photocopier distorted the drawing. I checked the one in the book. Photocopier OK, but not the drawing in the book. I hadn't done what I always tell people to do, before making something check your drawing using at least three known dimensions, length over headstocks, wheel base and buffer height are my normal ones.

Later I had a look in Essery and Jenkinson's LMS coach book, which has the same drawing. Ironically it is 3mm too long, where the reproduced diagrams of the RSs are all the right length in the same book. 

They are paired with a 60ft FO for the RS and a SO from the 1937 Coronation Scot train with the pressure ventilation duct on the roof to go with the RF.

160362706_RFcor.jpg.4eb7af9228edafa4f42d196ed084a6c3.jpg

The Restaurant First, corridor side. Made from Hornby Railroad Stanier coaches.

1291488566_RFkit.jpg.681257b754f1a3ba798397c4b967395c.jpg

Kitchen side. Both the RF and RS are running on works bogies until I buy or make some 6 wheeled ones for them. 

SO1.jpg.4953499ff95f83f49e02f4189d556458.jpg

The SO from Airfix LMS coaches with the plastic card ducting.

1164960745_SO2.jpg.619f4deda6334e5b3242c840d62d7bda.jpg

All the 1937 Corrie Scott coaches after the war were used in general service. One of the FOs even ended up on the WR.

1405110387_RScor.jpg.71eebf23004c4305e9656193feaf9bef.jpg

The 4 mm too short Restaurant Second, corridor side.

175226705_RSKit.jpg.2394f569c17940011e1d2634537d89e1.jpg

The kitchen side. For some reason the RF had its kitchen on the right when looking from the kitchen side and the RS on the left.

1482979298_FOD1917.jpg.ff1203fcc64147636b9fc86609830446.jpg

The First Open, from the bits left over from the SO conversion.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Whoops forgot to add a photo of both dinning cars (as the LMS called them). I don't think the missing 4mm off the RS is that noticeable. What I didn't want to do was take it apart and add eight quarter of a millimeter strips in between the parts as the shrinkage was all along the body.

1842056631_bothdinningcars..jpg.7582ce50418dd949b9078cf465dacce2.jpg

Some thing else I have been working on is a 50ft cafeteria car converted from a kitchen car. My model is from one of the many First Corridors I had, the surplus roof bits were incorporated in the CKs of my last hacking spree. These conversions had non standard windows so I thought plugging the ones in the model and cutting where needed would be a good way to go, still a lot of tidying up to do. 

1040493217_Cafcor.jpg.51fc0913b0f29e43e15cd15aa2af663e.jpg

The corridor side

259976384_Cafkit.jpg.5325eb8887dc19caaa7aeda0e52a7abb.jpg

The kitchen side. Next time I photograph this coach I will make sure the body and chassis are actually together.

• Like 11

Hi Clive,

The LMS coach books have a few wayward drawings regarding length. Perhaps the worst is the P3 buffet car; good quality drawing but 3ft under length if I recall!

I beleive you've cut up Dapol/Hornby P2 restaurant composites so you must have 6-wheel bogies in stock.

Those 50ft Cafeteria windows look very Bullied style to me, after all they were converted at Eastleigh.

So maybe attack some of the older Bachmann Bulleid coaches!

All the best,

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jimwal said:

Hi Clive,

The LMS coach books have a few wayward drawings regarding length. Perhaps the worst is the P3 buffet car; good quality drawing but 3ft under length if I recall!

I beleive you've cut up Dapol/Hornby P2 restaurant composites so you must have 6-wheel bogies in stock.

Those 50ft Cafeteria windows look very Bullied style to me, after all they were converted at Eastleigh.

So maybe attack some of the older Bachmann Bulleid coaches!

All the best,

Jim

Hi Jim

I got caught out by the buffet drawing.

The spare 12 wheeled underframe is all ready in use with M105M, the conversion of a P3 RS to a Buffet.

The 50 ft cafeteria coach has strange windows they are very curved at the top and square at the bottom. I will persevere with what I am doing, you know it won't be finished for a few years, and that is before it sees any paint and glazing. 

Clive

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am not sure if there will be any new developments on Sheffield Exchange for the moment, I am not up to much model making.

Here are two recent songs that have cheered me up.

Lucy, Julien and Phoebe say they are only angels never gods.....they are goddesses.

Don't know what to say about this, Beth is a singing teacher and normally reviews other peoples music

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am not sure if there will be any new developments on Sheffield Exchange for the moment, I am not up to much model making.

Here are two recent songs that have cheered me up.

Lucy, Julien and Phoebe say they are only angels never gods.....they are goddesses.

Don't know what to say about this, Beth i a singing teacher and normally reviews other peoples music

Wicked Game, We have just started to do OUR version of that with "Devils in Disguise", great song. We rock our version up from about half way through, then slow down again for the  end.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Gamechanger!  I don't think we've had white livery before 😃

Would you extend the sides on coaches with more doors or do you intend to score the body to give the impression of where the doors would be?

We have had white, LNER steel body coaches but not white and red.

Doors will be scored and tiny bits of plastic glued on to look like hinges , handles and grabs.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

Looking Great Clive.... Which P1's are in your lot list to do sir? I might want to cadge the file off you ...

Andy G

Hi Andy

Without getting my books out I am not sure off the top of my head which diagrams they are.

Twin window BTO/BSO, and TO/SO.

Single window TO/SO.

60ft CK with twin windows compartment side and long windows corridor side.

Twin window steel body BTO/BSO. The twin window SO drawing can be used to make a steel body twin window SO, I have a kit one already (secondhand) so haven't cut one out.

On the to do list as I have been donated some Airfix/Dapol non gangways the beading to convert a CL into a period 1 CL, a 54ft S and a 54ft six compartment BS using the second class compartments from other CLs. The first class compartments will become a F period 3. I also have some BSLs which will become a standard period 3 6 compartment BS, an ex North London period 2 7 compartment BS and 2 all seconds, one might be a period one coach. 

PM me your e-mail and I will send the files over.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

We have had white, LNER steel body coaches but not white and red.

Doors will be scored and tiny bits of plastic glued on to look like hinges , handles and grabs.

Hi Clive

Depending on which model cutter you have you may be able to scribe the doors on or are you already doing that.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi Clive

Depending on which model cutter you have you may be able to scribe the doors on or are you already doing that.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

On this batch of coaches I haven't scored the doors using the cutter. At the weekend I did some LNER steel body coaches where I discovered how to to score the doors so thing are looking up.

By the way, when are you next going to make that long journey over to Soloby again, you know you are welcomed to come and play trains anytime?

• Like 4