Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Can the combined minds of Stationmaster Mike and Sainty help me with getting the rerailing crane into Halham Fruit and Veg Goods Shed as there seems to be a problem in there.

Nobody hurt in Yorkshire earthquake. Fruit and veg supplies disrupted.

You need that piece of equipment we often wished we had in real life - the Great Big Overscale Hand.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nobody hurt in Yorkshire earthquake. Fruit and veg supplies disrupted.

You need that piece of equipment we often wished we had in real life - the Great Big Overscale Hand.

Wot like the one Diego Maradona was blessed with? 

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I thought that was called a BRUFF.

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I thought that was called a BRUFF.

Paul.

Ah but back in the early sixties there weren't any BRUFFs. The railways had these things.

012a.jpg.09c40925ad71b3073472d3e123934577.jpg

An Ex LMS Cowans Sheldon 30 ton 4-6-0 steam crane. See I can finish things and paint them.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah but back in the early sixties there weren't any BRUFFs. The railways had these things.

012a.jpg.09c40925ad71b3073472d3e123934577.jpg

An Ex LMS Cowans Sheldon 30 ton 4-6-0 steam crane. See I can finish things and paint them.

Those cranes were very expensive things to use for simple rerailing jobs - just get the vans out and once they had that MfD hydraulic jack gear a good gang could rerail any sort of short wheelbase wagon in the twinkling of an eye or two.  You could also do a lot with a few old fishplates and some timber packing plus the odd smallish bit of steel sheet if you could get hold of some (very handy having a local C&W works, the stuff they used to repair steel wagon bodiess was just right).  

But of course us operating dept folk weren't allowed to do anything like that so we had to keep our little stock of  helpful bits and pieces out of sight unless the proper breakdown gang asked us to deal with something.

Mind you the NCB blokes were the ones to see pn simple jobs - I once watched two blokes use a bull winch to re-rail 4 loaded 16 tonners although they were only off the road on one side where they been shoved together going into the trailing end of a point (a common happening on double ended sidings).  The Somerset quarries could also do a pretty neat re-railing job using a 50 ton bucket loader.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Those cranes were very expensive things to use for simple rerailing jobs - just get the vans out and once they had that MfD hydraulic jack gear a good gang could rerail any sort of short wheelbase wagon in the twinkling of an eye or two.  You could also do a lot with a few old fishplates and some timber packing plus the odd smallish bit of steel sheet if you could get hold of some (very handy having a local C&W works, the stuff they used to repair steel wagon bodiess was just right).  

But of course us operating dept folk weren't allowed to do anything like that so we had to keep our little stock of  helpful bits and pieces out of sight unless the proper breakdown gang asked us to deal with something.

Mind you the NCB blokes were the ones to see pn simple jobs - I once watched two blokes use a bull winch to re-rail 4 loaded 16 tonners although they were only off the road on one side where they been shoved together going into the trailing end of a point (a common happening on double ended sidings).  The Somerset quarries could also do a pretty neat re-railing job using a 50 ton bucket loader.

The vans you say.

003A.jpg.373c0344ce0fa411f93fbe4f15180337.jpg

011a.jpg.84c76f8d2556d4d562dbb3f27d682d22.jpg

001a.jpg.26a3db2f350a6e69ebad256353d0202f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

You could also do a lot with a few old fishplates and some timber packing plus the odd smallish bit of steel sheet if you could get hold of some

In the 1960s I used to go to two yards with signalling maintenance. They both had a set of iron ramps which went over the rail. Hook a chain to the wagon and the 08 and it would be back on in a couple of minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Here's the NCB rerailing a mineral at Astley Colliery

Bl**dy horrible things those ramps and lots of older, more experienced, folk on the Western reckoned they were more trouble than they were worth with an inclination to break chairs unless you were lucky when positioning them .  Charlie Spencer, the former Yard Master at Reading West Jcn Yard was known as 'Spraggy' because he hated calling out the vans and invariably used spraggs and old fishplates for re-railing.  Lots of yards kept various bits of timber packing somewhere handy as well as a collection of old fishplates for their d-i-y re-railing and whenever possible such events never got to the ears of management as they were quick 'square ups' with no more said.

Fishplates were also useful for extending couplings but you had to take a lot of care when doing it - as i found out one night at llandarcy whena slightly dim Shunter didn't do what I told him to after using a fishplate to extend a coupling.  Fortunately the wagon landed no more than an inch or so from where it had originally landed when first derailed so the gang got it back on the road a lot more quickly than they had the first time - practice always helps.   And I made sure with the fishplate the second time so it didn't runaway for a hat trick.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I recently won in an action 9 Bachmann chassis. A J72, a pannier, a manor(?), a Nelson, a V1/V3, 4 Royal Scot/Patriot/Jubilee and a B1. The main reason for biding on these was the B1 chassis as I have a poorly one and the V1 and Jubilee ones would be handy as spares. Well things got the better of me and I spotted this one's body under £20, another addition to the growing numbers of ex LMS express locos. Needs to be painted green one day.

a.jpg.279f6d142a5dc6acf829cbfa69c45000.jpg

b.jpg.a3e8fb76f5a91fd629d7f044fd1b8b78.jpg

All that Ducks fault, if he hadn't have shown me the action site.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I recently won in an action 9 Bachmann chassis. A J72, a pannier, a manor(?), a Nelson, a V1/V3, 4 Royal Scot/Patriot/Jubilee and a B1. The main reason for biding on these was the B1 chassis as I have a poorly one and the V1 and Jubilee ones would be handy as spares. Well things got the better of me and I spotted this one's body under £20, another addition to the growing numbers of ex LMS express locos. Needs to be painted green one day.

a.jpg.279f6d142a5dc6acf829cbfa69c45000.jpg

b.jpg.a3e8fb76f5a91fd629d7f044fd1b8b78.jpg

All that Ducks fault, if he hadn't have shown me the action site.

That final LMS livery of lined black I think looks stunning.

Someone posted somewhere on here a "Duke of Gloucester" that they'd painted and lined out that way, no doubt lost now, looked amazing.

You might keep the Scot this way for special work, as preserved, especially if you've lots of other green ones. Just a thought.

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I like that.  Makes me wish I could understand Ukrainian!  Where do you find this stuff Clive?

Hi Graham

It finds me, You tube keeps suggesting new music to me.

A new song from Mollie and Orláith,

• Like 3