Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

An interesting West Country.

Looks either to be kit built, or very cleverly weathered to give the appearance of undulations in the side sheeting?

I have an old H-D 8f in bits, it has been for a while. Given to me be a now deceased friend as near scrap along with a Standard tank. Seeing your pic I think that perhaps I should invest some more time in it to see if I can get it to work properly, but it will need a respray.

John.

Crown Line Kit WC, built by Mr. Wright I believe, unsure of paint job. On approval at the moment and not DCC. I have an offer for me to purchase after Mr. W. has replaced the Portescap. Otherwise I shall have to return it to him with many thanks, despite it being a lovely job. 

I have two other 8Fs, one more Wrenn  in good nick and an old HD version that is a non runner IIRC. I just have a rather nostalgic liking of them (and some other Wrenn loco's and the inevitable Pullmans), I have tucked away; nothing 'rare' but I do have some desirable (according to the Collectors' market) vans and wagons. I think I need to move them on to a decent Collector as EBay is just a Trader's rip off place for this stuff.

P

Crown Line Kit WC, built by Mr. Wright I believe, unsure of paint job. On approval at the moment and not DCC. I have an offer for me to purchase after Mr. W. has replaced the Portescap. Otherwise I shall have to return it to him with many thanks, despite it being a lovely job. 

I have two other 8Fs, one more Wrenn  in good nick and an old HD version that is a non runner IIRC. I just have a rather nostalgic liking of them (and some other Wrenn loco's and the inevitable Pullmans), I have tucked away; nothing 'rare' but I do have some desirable (according to the Collectors' market) vans and wagons. I think I need to move them on to a decent Collector as EBay is just a Trader's rip off place for this stuff.

P

Thanks for the reply. The WC is very bonny indeed, and had it come into my clutches I'd be very reluctant to see it go!

When I started to look at the two H-D locos and dismantle them, I was surprised and pleased to find a complete series of videos on You Tube about how they work and how to repair and service them. There's obviously a lot of interest out there, as there is with the likes of Trix Twin, Rovex Triang  and Minic Motorways. I think however that to be occasional dabbler in restoration takes a lot of time for the result achieved. About ten years ago, maybe fifteen, I restored my Minic Motorways stuff from childhood, which included rebuilding all of the track roadway with new insulation between the conductor strips. Having serviced the vehicles as well, all apart from one ran like new, I'd no change out of two concentrated weeks, say 80-100 hours! So you really have to love this stuff to make it worthwhile.

John.

P.S. Meant to mention although you probably know anyway, that a number of Bulleid Pacifics of both types ventured north up the GC in the '60's on specials, reaching Sheffield. I don't however know if Mortenhoe was one of them.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reply. The WC is very bonny indeed, and had it come into my clutches I'd be very reluctant to see it go!

When I started to look at the two H-D locos and dismantle them, I was surprised and pleased to find a complete series of videos on You Tube about how they work and how to repair and service them. There's obviously a lot of interest out there, as there is with the likes of Trix Twin, Rovex Triang  and Minic Motorways. I think however that to be occasional dabbler in restoration takes a lot of time for the result achieved. About ten years ago, maybe fifteen, I restored my Minic Motorways stuff from childhood, which included rebuilding all of the track roadway with new insulation between the conductor strips. Having serviced the vehicles as well, all apart from one ran like new, I'd no change out of two concentrated weeks, say 80-100 hours! So you really have to love this stuff to make it worthwhile.

John.

P.S. Meant to mention although you probably know anyway, that a number of Bulleid Pacifics of both types ventured north up the GC in the '60's on specials, reaching Sheffield. I don't however know if Mortenhoe was one of them.

Some years ago I decided to clean up a Wrenn Castle that I had painted (not very well) in BR Green, having discovered that the original (a weird light green livery) was worth a few bob. Sadly I took off the original paint as well :scared: . I then decided I would strip another two or three loco's with the intention of repainting them once I had the skill to use an Air Brush. All those loco's are still in a box in the loft awaiting my skills development! I shall go and find them as I have forgotten which ones they are apart from the Castle. I sold on my 08 and a Modifeid Bulleid (one of the very common ones) and a few bits of stock.

You will have to ask Morty if his layout is actually Sheffield or if it is sort of London area. I can't remember!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I think Iain Rice wrote in one of his books about the "Land of Tir Na Nog" modelling, to describe use of multiple geographical styles of building on the same layout.  It has been said many times on this forum, but far more people make a model of a model they've seen in a magazine, than a model of a real location, or even a scaled-down track layout from a real location.

Only two buildings so far on Exchange, one has Colchester written on it but is a typical ER power signal box and the other is Pig Lane (ER) and Hanging Hill's staff canteen which has given its storage box up so Pig Lane (WR) bits and bobs can be transported. Both look Ok and almost fit the time period and location so who knows they may stay. :yes:

Probably even more common than poor building choice are impossible geographical features; railways that appear from a tunnel apparently bored just behind a retaining wall, are a common one on layouts.

Bang goes my idea......and I thought it was original. :nono: :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm now too frighened to visit Mortyworld... I may end up having to wrangle horses and shovel sh1t for the day... 

Hi Doc

Only if you want to. You can sit and read a book. I have a collection of various books on trains. Mr Duck only found part of the library. You can drive trains. Or  play with the dogs.

So when are you planning on coming.

• RMweb Premium

I got off lightly, I only ended up walking the dogs ;)

Hi Map

You forgot the entertaining Mrs M's friend's son, mind you he did learn to drive the trains very quickly. Again a day when I invite a mate to play trains Mrs M has her mate come round. Most days there is only me and her getting in each others way but as soon as I have someone round so she has an event.   

Your in the know are we off to bomb somewhere because for the last half hour we have nothing but jet fighters buzzing overhead?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

John.

Hi John

But not in my alternative world where the L&YR and GNR made it to Sheffield instead of using the MS&LR lines.

On purpose I have made it so there is no north to south services only east to west and to Leeds. Well that is the plan.

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago I decided to clean up a Wrenn Castle that I had painted (not very well) in BR Green, having discovered that the original (a weird light green livery) was worth a few bob. Sadly I took off the original paint as well :scared: . I then decided I would strip another two or three loco's with the intention of repainting them once I had the skill to use an Air Brush. All those loco's are still in a box in the loft awaiting my skills development! I shall go and find them as I have forgotten which ones they are apart from the Castle. I sold on my 08 and a Modifeid Bulleid (one of the very common ones) and a few bits of stock.

You will have to ask Morty if his layout is actually Sheffield or if it is sort of London area. I can't remember!

Phil

Hi Phil

Supposed to be Sheffield.

Now should I get out my part built EMUs, my class 15s and all them Brush Type 2s I have it could soon become the East End.

• Like 1

No need to strangle the horses Doc, they are quite placid most of the time....oh, hang on. As for shoveling the 'manure' I am sure a beefy good ole boy such as yerself would be a maestro (or metro?) with the shovel; yee hah! (Que, a blast of Blue Grass Fiddle)

images.jpg

Ar$£ (almost literally)

Not bluegrass fiddle but hey....

https://youtu.be/AJOIqmlI65Y

Edit: this is fiddle......

https://youtu.be/Zyj9yp8z4pg

Edited by great central

• RMweb Premium

No need to strangle the horses Doc, they are quite placid most of the time....oh, hang on. As for shoveling the 'manure' I am sure a beefy good ole boy such as yerself would be a maestro (or metro?) with the shovel; yee hah! (Que, a blast of Blue Grass Fiddle)

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Ar$£ (almost literally)

Someone say blue grass fiddle....

• RMweb Premium

I think I got told off on a thread about the Lima class 37 when I wrote,

Why bother, the Lima body is the most misshaped of all the class 37 bodies. Even the early Bachmann 37/4s are more accurate.

Roof profile, is too shallow

Windscreen too is flat causing the cab side windows to be too long.

Tuck under is too shallow.

Cant rail grilles are too small, caused by the incorrect roof.

The worse thing is all the side grilles are wrong, they are 2mm too short in height. This is caused by lining them up with the bottom of the doors. These are 2mm too high from the bottom of the body. The clips holding the body on have loads of meat.

The best part is the chassis, bung a Tri-ang Type 3 on a Lima chassis instant improvement for both models.

post-16423-0-67282700-1541667762_thumb.jpg

Must get on and finish this.

• Like 1

Hi Map

You forgot the entertaining Mrs M's friend's son, mind you he did learn to drive the trains very quickly. Again a day when I invite a mate to play trains Mrs M has her mate come round. Most days there is only me and her getting in each others way but as soon as I have someone round so she has an event.   

Your in the know are we off to bomb somewhere because for the last half hour we have nothing but jet fighters buzzing overhead?

I'd forgotten about him! Now I'm remembering the chocolate cake too... :)

Nope, not off to hurt anyone. The Americans have been playing a lot this last week with lots of aircraft in the sky though so it's probably them again.

• RMweb Premium

Nope, not off to hurt anyone. The Americans have been playing a lot this last week with lots of aircraft in the sky though so it's probably them again.

Hi Matt

It must be the Yanks as it is around tea time they are the busiest, and I can't see the RAF flying when it is tea time. :nono: :nono:

The best time to launch an attack is normally first thing in the morning.....except when attacking the British, 10.00 am "NAFFI break". :O

• RMweb Premium

Nope, not off to hurt anyone.The Americans have been playing a lot this last week with lots of aircraft in the sky though so it's probably them again.

They must have spotted Clive's Caravan and it must, of course be heading for the US Border with you know where etc.

Blah blah.

Pah!

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Hi Matt

It must be the Yanks as it is around tea time they are the busiest, and I can't see the RAF flying when it is tea time. :nono: :nono:

The best time to launch an attack is normally first thing in the morning.....except when attacking the British, 10.00 am "NAFFI break". :O

0800 on a Sunday. The RAF will be on church parade.

Hi Matt

Friday after lunch before a bank holiday weekend is the best time to attack. There will be no response until Tuesday morning.

• RMweb Premium

0800 on a Sunday. The RAF will be on church parade.

We had to attend a church service, not a parade as the dress was civilian. I turned up in my jeans to be told by a sergeant I couldn't go into the church in jeans. With that I looked at my watch and said " I might be in time for the service at St Whatever's (I know I said a name of a church in Colchester town centre) where the vicar doesn't mind what I wear. He is always pleased to see me on Sundays". The blank expression on the sergeant's face meant I could turn round and head off for the town centre. This was the days before Sunday opening, I had to hang about for nearly two hours before the pubs opened.

A few weeks later the same sergeant was orderly sergeant on a Sunday and was in the cook house at breakfast time. He was near our table as I as about to leave, so with a loud voice I said to my mates "I see you all later after I have been to church".

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to disappoint you chaps, But the RAF Radar stations are manned 24 hours a day 365 days a year, no gash days off, no sports days off, in the 12 years I was in. If you are on a quick reaction alert station on the QRA squadron, with the fly boys, you'll not be getting that many days off either..