Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

In addition to the answer number 3. My plan of operating is basically two trains circling around the room while I play "sort the next one out", be it in the station or one of the sets of sidings. when driving a train to or from a siding I will stop the other circulating train, mainly because many of the moves involve crossing from one line to the other. Like wise when moving a train to or from the station I will have to stop the circulating train if there is conflicting movement, so stopping the trains on the GNR lines  to change polarity will not be a problem.

To be fair Clive, with your Track Plan, and unless you wanted SOUND which I know you don't, then DC is far easier to wire up to avoid conflicting polarities.

All the best mate.

A fascinating layout plan, and one for which construction should keep you occupied for a very long time.

Whilst the station and throat will be the focal point, I wonder what the idea is for the outer areas particularly near the two sets of sidings. Will the sidings simply be for storage, or will they be laid out and scenicly finished as if they were on the real railway. If the former, you might consider putting in a space between them and the running lines, and use some form of retaining wall or scenery so as to enjoy your motive power rolling along the mainline. Just a thought.

John.

• RMweb Premium

A fascinating layout plan, and one for which construction should keep you occupied for a very long time.

Whilst the station and throat will be the focal point, I wonder what the idea is for the outer areas particularly near the two sets of sidings. Will the sidings simply be for storage, or will they be laid out and scenicly finished as if they were on the real railway. If the former, you might consider putting in a space between them and the running lines, and use some form of retaining wall or scenery so as to enjoy your motive power rolling along the mainline. Just a thought.

John.

Hi John

The plan is at the moment only to scenic the station area but as is going to be the "last layout", who knows what is down the road in a few years time.

To be fair Clive, with your Track Plan, and unless you wanted SOUND which I know you don't, then DC is far easier to wire up to avoid conflicting polarities.

All the best mate.

Hi Bodge

I have been practicing Brummmmm Brummmmm Brummmm Clonk, Brummmmm  as the DMU departs.........Chuff Chuff as the Black Five arrives from Preston. See I have my noise sorted :locomotive: :locomotive:

Notice the gear change

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

2, How does that work, please?

It doesn't! At least not as written. If you imagine the whole layout to be wired in L&Y phase, a L&Y train will depart in forwards, circulate, and enter the FY. A GN train will depart in forwards, but as soon as it reaches the main lines it will need backwards polarity. Feeding the GN chord through a bridge rectifier allows the controller to be put to reverse while the train still runs forwards. Dead easy if your direction is by switch. If you want I can do a diagram to explain, but it will be the weekend before I have time. This work stuff doesn't half get in the way.

I hadn't realised how many locos you had, but I did know that DCC wasn't an option for you. I'm going DCC to enable computer control, but as you say: it ain't cheap.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

The window blokes are here so progress is just around the corner. I have striped the wall paper off the walls and am going to paint them a sky blue colour.

Hopefully this weekend I am being told what I can have we are choosing  the new flooring for the room. The room needs to be decorated before the railway goes in because It won't be redecorated until the railway gets taken down........I won't see that happen as I will be 6 ft under by then.

I might have the baseboards ready by this time next year. :good:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My wife is threatening to bury my layout with me - like the ancient Pharaohs so I will have something to play with in the afterlife.

Hi Bogie

Mrs M stated should I ever have an affair she would find where the other woman lived and give her the railway . :O

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

Please forgive me for sticking my oar in when I possibly don't know all the constraints, don't know what I'm talking about, and haven't produced a workable suggestion but...

Looking at your track plan, it occurred to me that after the two twin lines have left the station, they effectively join back up again in the main loop. So, you would have GNR trains passing L&YR trains running in the opposite direction and, having sent a train out on the GNR, it would arrive back at Sheffield from the L&Y (or vice-versa).

So I wondered whether it might be possible to give the GNR and the L&YR separate, twin-track loops. So, four trains running continuously, GNR up and down passing each other and L&YR up and down passing each other, until you're ready to call one or more of them into the station.

I came up with this - it's just a sketch of the topology not to scale, shows no storage sidings and I don't know if it would physically fit in the space available.

post-32492-0-39565400-1505978662_thumb.png

I didn't know which lines were which so I took a punt on the left hand lines leaving the station being GNR (blue) and right hand L&YR (red).

The blue lines are simple and on the same level as the station.

The red lines descend after leaving the station to a lower level so that the red loop is independent of the blue loop - it just passes under it where they cross. The red line takes it's time to join the red loop so that the incline is not too steep but also to keep the centre of the space free and make one of the joins use the same space as one of the blue joins to save space.

If the loops were not intended to be scenic they could actually be right on top of each other to save more space, not offset as I've drawn them.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil

I did look at ways to separate the GNR and L&YR lines and came up with some similar designs to yours. I didn't go down the multilevel idea as I know my carpentry skills. Another factor most of the time It will be operating by myself, two trains circulating on the main lines while I sort out the next one will be enough for me to concentrate on. 

My biggest problem at the moment is trying to convince Mrs M I don't need laminated flooring (I hate laying it) but something simpler as it going to have a train set on it. She won't have lino. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Thanks Phil

I did look at ways to separate the GNR and L&YR lines and came up with some similar designs to yours. I didn't go down the multilevel idea as I know my carpentry skills. Another factor most of the time It will be operating by myself, two trains circulating on the main lines while I sort out the next one will be enough for me to concentrate on. 

My biggest problem at the moment is trying to convince Mrs M I don't need laminated flooring (I hate laying it) but something simpler as it going to have a train set on it. She won't have lino. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Rubber matting (Halfords) like I have in TOPS

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiKrayE7bXWAhVJt-0KHTq5AdQYABAjGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_1yJzWrpNNBfE6ydQHB8A5IcBGOWQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjQ-qmE7bXWAhWFD8AKHRWZA3IQwjwIfA&adurl=

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Please forgive me for sticking my oar in when I possibly don't know all the constraints, don't know what I'm talking about, and haven't produced a workable suggestion but...

That is one hell of a disclaimer!

• RMweb Premium

My layout is in an (almost) integral garage. I laid rubber matting on the floor initially but found it kept moving when I wheeled things over it like an occupied chair or storage unit with or without wheels.

It seemed inappropriate (and I never even thought of) laying laminate floor so I laid the chipboard style loft flooring panels on top of the mats.

Don't know if that's an option.

No idea how easy it is to lay as it was the when we bought, but my house has Karndean flooring (a trade name I think, equivalents probably exist from others), which is a vinyl flooring which looks like wood, and it's actually a lot better than that sounds. Has all the benefits of laminate, but doesn't get as cold.

I'd never have chosen it before, but now I've got a house full of it I'd buy more.

• RMweb Premium

My layout is in an (almost) integral garage. I laid rubber matting on the floor initially but found it kept moving when I wheeled things over it like an occupied chair or storage unit with or without wheels.

It seemed inappropriate (and I never even thought of) laying laminate floor so I laid the chipboard style loft flooring panels on top of the mats.

Don't know if that's an option.

Hi Ray

Before we moved one of the things was a room for my train set. When my wife viewed our bungalow she rang me to say the garage wasn't bigger than I already had would I like the living room as that was bigger. The bungalow we live in has two large living rooms and we don't need both. The one I have has carpet laid directly on the concrete floor, had it been laid on tiles (or something) then I wouldn't be having to consider new flooring. I don't want a cream carpet in the train room but I do want the room to look reasonable, so tomorrow we are off to look at flooring.

No idea how easy it is to lay as it was the when we bought, but my house has Karndean flooring (a trade name I think, equivalents probably exist from others), which is a vinyl flooring which looks like wood, and it's actually a lot better than that sounds. Has all the benefits of laminate, but doesn't get as cold.

I'd never have chosen it before, but now I've got a house full of it I'd buy more.

Hi Zimboid

I looked at vinyl flooring and have suggest it to Mrs M. Lets hope she says "Yes".

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Clive,

I guess that you have ruled this out as you are keen for any train to be able to access any platform.

But....the whole electrical thing becomes much easier if only a couple of the platforms are accessible to both routes. You then don't need to stop any trains elsewhere, just change the polarity of those two platforms.

Many prototype stations: Brighton, Southport, Manchester London Rd, had similar operational restrictions.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Joseph

I did look at doing something similar to Bradford Exchange, which was two stations sharing the same location and signal box when you view the track plan. I have kept with the inspiration from the 1977 Kings Cross track plan as I have always wanted to model Kings Cross, I know the inspiration has drifted a tad. I  am not bothered about having to stop the main line trains when exchanging them for ones in the sidings or the station. As I have mentioned most of the time it will only be me operating and I can only concentrate on a few things at a time.

I better get on and start building soon or I might change things, on Tuesday I was missing the simplicity of Seff Ex Mk1 I drew this up.

post-16423-0-32459400-1506005264.png

Hi Ray

Before we moved one of the things was a room for my train set. When my wife viewed our bungalow she rang me to say the garage wasn't bigger than I already had would I like the living room as that was bigger. The bungalow we live in has two large living rooms and we don't need both. The one I have has carpet laid directly on the concrete floor, had it been laid on tiles (or something) then I wouldn't be having to consider new flooring. I don't want a cream carpet in the train room but I do want the room to look reasonable, so tomorrow we are off to look at flooring.

Hi Zimboid

I looked at vinyl flooring and have suggest it to Mrs M. Lets hope she says "Yes".

I would go with the laminated flooring with the best quality underlay.  Keep away from the diy sheds and use an independant carpet shop.  Their prices are competitive and it is much harder wearing than vinyl.

I have just had a 4x3.5m room done and it cost £40 for fitting.  They have the proper tools to cut board ends square and fitting is quick.

We have a good quality wood patterned vinyl in an enclosed lean-to (conservatory for posh folks) where it is used as a walk-through to the garage and garden.  It does wear well but you have to be careful not to drop anything sharp or heavy on it as it will mark, which may be a factor if you have it for a railway room where you may be doing woodwork etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would go with the laminated flooring with the best quality underlay.  Keep away from the diy sheds and use an independant carpet shop.  Their prices are competitive and it is much harder wearing than vinyl.

I have just had a 4x3.5m room done and it cost £40 for fitting.  They have the proper tools to cut board ends square and fitting is quick.

We have a good quality wood patterned vinyl in an enclosed lean-to (conservatory for posh folks) where it is used as a walk-through to the garage and garden.  It does wear well but you have to be careful not to drop anything sharp or heavy on it as it will mark, which may be a factor if you have it for a railway room where you may be doing woodwork etc.

Hi Mick

Before we departed Darkest Essex I was tasked with renewing the floor and skirting boards in the living room and the conservatory, under "We won't sell the house if it looks like this." I managed to do a good job, even lined up the conservatory with the living room. The floor in the hall and kitchen in Mrs M's mind needed renewing. I had laid that before and lined it up between the rooms, it was a very awkward shape so I refused as it was still in good order but not the right colour. She got in a professional. On day two I had to tell him to go home before he done any more, and not come back. His boss came round and agreed he was not doing a good job. Under supervision of his boss nearly two months later it was done. He didn't get it lined up between the rooms. I don't think Mrs M would allow anyone else to do the floor. I don't like doing laminated flooring, but it looks like I will have to in other rooms in the bungalow so for my room I don't want to do it. 

The boss looked at the living room floor and asked who laid it as it was well done, Mrs M replied "We did".

Hi Mick

Before we departed Darkest Essex I was tasked with renewing the floor and skirting boards in the living room and the conservatory, under "We won't sell the house if it looks like this." I managed to do a good job, even lined up the conservatory with the living room. The floor in the hall and kitchen in Mrs M's mind needed renewing. I had laid that before and lined it up between the rooms, it was a very awkward shape so I refused as it was still in good order but not the right colour. She got in a professional. On day two I had to tell him to go home before he done any more, and not come back. His boss came round and agreed he was not doing a good job. Under supervision of his boss nearly two months later it was done. He didn't get it lined up between the rooms. I don't think Mrs M would allow anyone else to do the floor. I don't like doing laminated flooring, but it looks like I will have to in other rooms in the bungalow so for my room I don't want to do it. 

The boss looked at the living room floor and asked who laid it as it was well done, Mrs M replied "We did".

I guess we have been lucky in the fact that our local carpet shop, a family run business have fitted all the flooring in our house over the past 45 years.

I am an engineer by trade and I fully understand what straight lines and levels mean to you.  Some people on the other hand have no idea when something is not laid corretly either by pattern or the nap is in the wrong direction.

Not surprised by your Essex cowboys, my own experience of so called tradesmen from there is that they were all bling and bluster.

• RMweb Premium

I guess we have been lucky in the fact that our local carpet shop, a family run business have fitted all the flooring in our house over the past 45 years.

. . . . . . .

That seems a long time to take even to do a complete house!   :jester:

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

That seems a long time to take even to do a complete house!    :jester:

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

They're very methodical Ray.

It took me three or four goes to write that statement of 45 years, some of the ways I phrased it it was so open to being jumped on even I was laughing to myself in the end.

• Like 1

I am not too sure if I will ever start this layout, other things seem to be a priority. Why the hell did I dismantle Mk1?

I wonder if your plan can be broken down into stages so that you could get something running quickly. You must be quicker at doing things than me (the rest of the world is) but the thought of all the joinery for the boards and trestle supports is pretty challenging if done at once at the start. Maybe do the central section, the station area and throat first, running into some temporary fiddle yard, before you embark on the greater plan.

Another idea to get up and running more quickly would be to live with your cream carpet, so no work on laying flooring, and get some cheapish rugs for protection in the construction stages. Purely personal and subjective, but I like having carpet in my railway room, being part of the house it makes it feel like home.

John.