Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

If you want to sell your Seeps, I would be interested in buying them.

Hi 28xx

The reason I am replacing them is they are old (hand me downs from Hanging Hill) and have become unreliable, some are firing but not shifting the tie bar every time. Tie bars are free of muck and springs lose-ish  so very little resistance from above the baseboard. Even when they change the blade position they do not always switch the frog. One has decided that it will move the blades across but not switch the frog polarity but leave it somewhere in the middle so when I drive a train out of platform 1 the train in platform 2 moves. If only one train in either platform the line is dead despite the point blades being in the right place. 

• RMweb Premium

Just play with different grades of piano wire for the armature if you have one that needs a bit more oomph to overcome the spring

Phil

Ah Phil, not what I wanted to hear. Where did you get your piano wire from?

• RMweb Premium

Or wammy a Blade in to bend, break or destroy the spring from above mate, :O  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: WHOOPS,    SORRY That's the Bodgit in me coming out to play again. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

OFF BACK TO BED NOW. :stinker:

Hi Andy

'Ammer and chisel are all lined up wait for the off.

• RMweb Gold

Ah Phil, not what I wanted to hear. Where did you get your piano wire from?

I bought piano wire from Ebay - for example this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polished-piano-wire-choose-from-18-19-or-20-swg-18-in-length-pack-of-2-/262920876957?var=&hash=item3d374e339d:m:mBoHz4uUd6vjsi9U0qxcYjw

Size 16 (0.036in, 20swg) is the recommended size for Tortoises and worked fine for me. 

• RMweb Premium

I bought piano wire from Ebay - for example this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polished-piano-wire-choose-from-18-19-or-20-swg-18-in-length-pack-of-2-/262920876957?var=&hash=item3d374e339d:m:mBoHz4uUd6vjsi9U0qxcYjw

Size 16 (0.036in, 20swg) is the recommended size for Tortoises and worked fine for me. 

Hi RFS

Thanks

Cheltenham models...but any decent model shop surely?

P

Thanks Phil

As John Dutfield's is closed on a Sunday and I have decided to remove the Peco  springs and use the wire provided. I have already lifted the point work. I will be replacing the damaged tandem point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

In true Minories fashion there would have been a siding but it was lifted a few months before the model protrays. The idea came from this photo http://www.blackrod.railpic.net/displayimage.php?album=13&pid=398#top_display_media In front of the railway over bridge I am going to place a buffer stop where the siding finished. I might even have a few bits of rail and some sleepers neatly piled up awaiting collection.

The point rodding has the rollers that carried the rodding for the point and its lock for the siding.

It is all Sataionmaster Mike's fault. I had managed to keep the signalling within a 25 lever framed box with one spare lever, until he suggested an outer home. The choice was to have a box with no spare levers, usally there was one or two. Or did I go up a size and have a 30 lever box, with 5 spare which seemed too many so after seeing the photo of Horwich Loco Junction box I thought of the idea of a lifted siding and four spare levers come form the missing signals, points and faceing lock.

Hi Clive,

Would it be possible for you to plot where the siding would have been please?

I'm struggling to incorporate goods into my minories other than milk

Edited by danstercivicman

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Would it be possible for you to plot where the siding would have been please?

I'm struggling to incorporate goods into my minories other than milk

Hi Dan,

Sorry had not realised you had asked the above.

post-16423-0-78213800-1493579341_thumb.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

As noted above I had lifted the slips and tandem point in readiness for removing the springs. Time and events over took me. We put the house back on the market and within a week the estate agent had put a 5 OLD sign outside our abode. And on top of that we have had our offer on a place in Lincolnshire accepted.  :O

Mrs M came back from viewing the bungalow saying that the railway room (called garage) didn't look as big as I already had, would I like the sitting room as there is a big family room as well. :swoon:

I have reworked my master layout plan to fit the new room, just under 20 ft by 14 and a bit. I had to make a decision about the pile of layouts I have acquired and the cost of moving things that will/may be made redundant. Brisbane Road and Pig Lane (WR) are going to Lincolnshire so that i have some thing to run models on as I make them. Which sadly means Sheffield Exchange as a Minories layout is being dismantled.

Progress had be halted over the past year owing to our on off move plans. It had started to mess me about, hence the replacement point motors. It has been great to operate and I would recommend a Minories type layout for those who are short of space, like running passenger trains and don't want to model Ashburton or any other branch line terminus.

The station name will live on, as will the concept of a joint L&YR and GNR station pointing northwards with a lot of services run by DMUs and loco hauled non corridor trains to parts of Yorkshire, north Lincolnshire and Lancashire. It will be a much bigger terminus, with a track plan inspired by the 1977 remodelling of Kings Cross but only serving 8 platforms. Diesel and Steam loco sidings will be provided for the terminating engines. A continuous run is an essential part of the plan as are the two sets of fiddle yards.  It will be designed with one man operation in mind but services can be intensified with multiple operators.

post-16423-0-40754600-1493580861_thumb.png

• Like 16

Thanks Andy,

You will be more than welcome to drive trains when operational.

I've got things running in the Old Potting Shed ready for June, (that's the Month BTW, not a good Woman) hahha.

• Like 2

Hi All

As noted above I had lifted the slips and tandem point in readiness for removing the springs. Time and events over took me. We put the house back on the market and within a week the estate agent had put a 5 OLD sign outside our abode. And on top of that we have had our offer on a place in Lincolnshire accepted. :O

Mrs M came back from viewing the bungalow saying that the railway room (called garage) didn't look as big as I already had, would I like the sitting room as there is a big family room as well. :swoon:

I have reworked my master layout plan to fit the new room, just under 20 ft by 14 and a bit. I had to make a decision about the pile of layouts I have acquired and the cost of moving things that will/may be made redundant. Brisbane Road and Pig Lane (WR) are going to Lincolnshire so that i have some thing to run models on as I make them. Which sadly means Sheffield Exchange as a Minories layout is being dismantled.

Progress had be halted over the past year owing to our on off move plans. It had started to mess me about, hence the replacement point motors. It has been great to operate and I would recommend a Minories type layout for those who are short of space, like running passenger trains and don't want to model Ashburton or any other branch line terminus.

The station name will live on, as will the concept of a joint L&YR and GNR station pointing northwards with a lot of services run by DMUs and loco hauled non corridor trains to parts of Yorkshire, north Lincolnshire and Lancashire. It will be a much bigger terminus, with a track plan inspired by the 1977 remodelling of Kings Cross but only serving 8 platforms. Diesel and Steam loco sidings will be provided for the terminating engines. A continuous run is an essential part of the plan as are the two sets of fiddle yards. It will be designed with one man operation in mind but services can be intensified with multiple operators.

Sheffield exchange, dignity street scenics.png

Superb plan!!!'

Hi All

As noted above I had lifted the slips and tandem point in readiness for removing the springs. Time and events over took me. We put the house back on the market and within a week the estate agent had put a 5 OLD sign outside our abode. And on top of that we have had our offer on a place in Lincolnshire accepted. :O

The station name will live on, as will the concept of a joint L&YR and GNR station pointing northwards with a lot of services run by DMUs and loco hauled non corridor trains to parts of Yorkshire, north Lincolnshire and Lancashire. It will be a much bigger terminus, with a track plan inspired by the 1977 remodelling of Kings Cross but only serving 8 platforms. Diesel and Steam loco sidings will be provided for the terminating engines. A continuous run is an essential part of the plan as are the two sets of fiddle yards. It will be designed with one man operation in mind but services can be intensified with multiple operators.

Sheffield exchange, dignity street scenics.png

Superb plan!!!'

Hope your move goes well.

I'm sure you'll like Lincolnshire, a fairly quiet and sleepy place for the most part. We are a couple of miles over the border in Rutland (also quiet and sleepy), and coming here nearly twenty years ago was the best thing we've ever done.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a fun plan.

Be sure to post a link here if you start a new thread: I don't want to miss developments.

Alan

Hi Alan

This will remain as the Sheffield Exchange thread, even if the layout changes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I love the new plan Clive but I'd like to suggest a couple of tweaks to your plan. Currently a train leaving the L&Y side cannot access the Manchester sidings and likewise a train leaving Donny sidings cannot access the correct running line...

The change I'd suggest also gives a bit more room around the buffer stops end of the station for FBBs ;)

Actually I'd probably put the sidings INSIDE the mainline too, that way you don't need to reach over the main lines to fiddle, and gives you a longer mainline run

post-6674-0-20770200-1494192733_thumb.png

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love the new plan Clive but I'd like to suggest a couple of tweaks to your plan. Currently a train leaving the L&Y side cannot access the Manchester sidings and likewise a train leaving Donny sidings cannot access the correct running line...

The change I'd suggest also gives a bit more room around the buffer stops end of the station for FBBs ;)

Actually I'd probably put the sidings INSIDE the mainline too, that way you don't need to reach over the main lines to fiddle, and gives you a longer mainline run

attachicon.gifpost-16423-0-40754600-1493580861.png

Andi

Hi Andy

Thanks for looking at the plan.

There will be some mods as time goes on, especially as I have now seen the room. First one is to enable a lifting section between the Manchester sidings and the L&Y junction, so that the door will open. Second to rework the Manchester sidings around the fire place.

The plan is such that the Manchester sidings are accessed from the inner track and the Doncaster sidings from the outer track. I am using single slips not crossings, so no access problems. It will mean stopping the train on the other line when making such moves but with only me operating it that will  be OK. The junctions are in their respective positions because  if placed where you suggest I would have to reduce the radius of the curves as a straight bit is required using a Peco crossing and it don't fit.

Don't worry about me not getting around the station. With the revision to the Manchester sidings I will shorten the trains to 6 Mk1 s and loco, and DMUs max 8 cars, that will shorten the platforms, too long a platform can look boring. I drew the concourse larger than it will be modelled. I am going to have only about an inch of concourse before the barriers, no station building. I will have the side walls and the front of the train shed but no roof. No scenery outside the railway boundary except Dignity Street bridge, complete with a couple of Sheffield buses just to give it a sense of location. Plus both me and Mrs M are going on a diet.

As for the mainline being inside, it will enable me to see the trains for a longer period and more importantly the sidings can be longer as they will not have to fit in the curve of the running line. I am still debating if the mainline will be scenic.

post-16423-0-64363300-1494197863_thumb.png

Still to do revision around fire place, I will do that once we have moved.

• Like 3