Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith

We have only lived in Little Waltham for 25 years, and we are still not accepted. The local families, the ones that have been in the village longer than us are great, they will stop and have a good old chin wag. Even their teenage kids and grandchildren say hello. It is the incomers who look down their noses. Incomers (mainly London commuters) outnumber locals.

You should try living just across the river from Royston Vasey. There was an outcry in 'Tinsul' when someone from Padfield (direct line of sight across the pre-1974 border between  Derbyshire and Cheshire) was allocated an old folks bungalow there by the council. He was referred to by the locals as 'The Illegal Immigrant'.

We lived in West Wales for 23years my Wife was even born and bread there so was a local. However we where never accepted as being local in all that time. 

When I was in line for a proposed job in Newport we looked at moving to the Usk Valley. We enquired about a house we saw for sale in the village near to where my Wife's grandparents were born and had owned a farm until the 1960s.  After making an appointment to view, the agent called the next day to say it was no longer available. It actually remained on the market for nearly another year. I don't know whether the owners thought we were prospective blow-ins, when in fact my wife was probably a distant cousin to nearly every household in the village.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The last two nights I have braved the elements and made it to the manshed. Poor old exchange is very messy as it has been used as a junk table for the past few months. I cleared enough away so I could have a play operating session. All diesel this time, three loco hauled suburban sets and a parcels train the rest made up of DMUs..............lovely.

Where it has not been used there have been a few problems, two point motors are not switching their blades. They form the crossover from the up line to platforms 1 and 2. They are trying to move, something is happening below but nothing up top.....just like me. I am happy to change them manually for the time being and will investigate later. Most the stock has run well. Slight problem with one of my Lima chassis-Triang body English Electric type 3s. When I was sorting it out I realised that it may never had run with its new chassis. Another train that I don't think I had run before was a BRCW DMU, it was the only non-operator derailment. I opened out the back to backs on the unpowered cars and it ran perfect. I even ran my Heljan Clayton on a parcels train, there were a few sheded at Tinsley when they were new.

As I was about to run the last train tonight I pushed the traverser and it got stuck, so a couple of push and pulls. It freed itself and CRASH, at the same time nine trains fell over. So a major re-railing exercise took place, with an excuse to check all wheels were on the track so some additional trains were run.

While Exchange was dormant I purchased some Peco loco lifts. The idea being a loco hauled train would run into the fiddle yard, on the end of its allocated line would be a loco lift. Plan was for the loco to run on to the lift, be uncoupled and the removed to the stock table. Great idea, trouble being the very tight parameters built into the layout. A loco lift is 12 inches long, about 1 1/2 inches too long for a loco and four coaches to sit with the last coach safely on the traverser so it can be traversed. I found if the last bogie was on the traverser the front coach was sharing the loco lift, which wasn't the plan nor was not being able to line up the next train to Exchange because the last departure still had is tail end on the non moving part of the layout.

It was not all doom and gloom, most trains ran OK, and I didn't make too many operator errors. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

While Exchange was dormant I purchased some Peco loco lifts. The idea being a loco hauled train would run into the fiddle yard, on the end of its allocated line would be a loco lift. Plan was for the loco to run on to the lift, be uncoupled and the removed to the stock table. Great idea, trouble being the very tight parameters built into the layout. A loco lift is 12 inches long, about 1 1/2 inches too long for a loco and four coaches to sit with the last coach safely on the traverser so it can be traversed. I found if the last bogie was on the traverser the front coach was sharing the loco lift, which wasn't the plan nor was not being able to line up the next train to Exchange because the last departure still had is tail end on the non moving part of the layout.

Shortliner had some double length loco lifts as cassettes on his layout: I think the structural strength came from replacing the foam sides with 6mm ply fitted into the aluminium channel. Could you do something similar to take 1 1/2" out of yours?

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Shortliner had some double length loco lifts as cassettes on his layout: I think the structural strength came from replacing the foam sides with 6mm ply fitted into the aluminium channel. Could you do something similar to take 1 1/2" out of yours?

Paul.

Ain't you got an AXE to lop a bit off mate? As Paul say's a bit of Ply, or even some 3mm Plasticard might do the jobbie. 

Hi Guys

Some food for thought.

The idea of using them came form my inability to get all those wobby wheels that steam locos tend to have on the track.

• RMweb Gold

Further thoughts from me.

Shortliner's ply was needed because the aluminium angle was in two bits (one from each lift). You just need to shorten the angle and the foam. If you cut off one end of the base you don't have to worry about electrical continuity. Operationally there would be a running on end but running off 'should' be possible from either end (I think).

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

So sorry, I though you had gone all blue like that Andy Peters fella.  Well I hope he's not all blue, if you know what I mean :scared:

Hi Mick

I do have some D numbered blue locos but they are for Ranelagh Bridge (should I carry on with it) and Pig Lane (WR). Sheffield Exchange is set in the early to mid sixties which is great because I can run steam and green diesel together, or all steam or all diesel. Another good thing I can use a lot of my green diesels from Brisbane Road.

• Like 1

Hi Mick

I do have some D numbered blue locos but they are for Ranelagh Bridge (should I carry on with it) and Pig Lane (WR). Sheffield Exchange is set in the early to mid sixties which is great because I can run steam and green diesel together, or all steam or all diesel. Another good thing I can use a lot of my green diesels from Brisbane Road.

To many Layouts, to much Stock and not enough time on you hands to complete them all.

Do you want to buy some proper Steamers, WITH DCC SOUND, and some Green and Maroon WR Hy Bo liks hahhaha. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Hi Richard

Make the layout longer, good idea. Next time you come home form the States can you bring some of president Trumps bricks with you to make the manshed longer. :locomotive:

If you. Will pay for the trip across the pond I will happily bring bricks. From memory you should be able to squeeze in 6 inches on the end, just on the sector plate. Or have it as a slot in section just for exhibitions.

• RMweb Premium

To many Layouts, to much Stock and not enough time on you hands to complete them all.

Do you want to buy some proper Steamers, WITH DCC SOUND, and some Green and Maroon WR Hy Bo liks hahhaha. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Hi Andy

Too much stock,  too many layouts..............a life time of making and collecting but that is half the fun. :this:

Remember I do my own brummming and cufffing so don't need you cast offs. :mosking: :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

If you. Will pay for the trip across the pond I will happily bring bricks. From memory you should be able to squeeze in 6 inches on the end, just on the sector plate. Or have it as a slot in section just for exhibitions.

Hi Richard,

I am going to modify a loco lift. I need one that will take a Black Five or a B1 not one for a Stanier Princess Coronation. So watch this space.

As for you coming home, if the state visit gets stopped or postponed Mr trump might be sending you home.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After a day trying to tile the downstairs loo, Mrs M wants floor to ceiling on all walls and they is quite big tiles, so over half of them need to be cut to size and it is taking ages. As a treat I took myself off to the manshed for a short operating session, it was fun but cold. While out there I found my hacksaw and with a few strokes of said saw I shortened a Peco loco lift. The new improved model works lovely, even tried it with a BR standard class 4 tank.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Further thoughts from me.

Shortliner's ply was needed because the aluminium angle was in two bits (one from each lift). You just need to shorten the angle and the foam. If you cut off one end of the base you don't have to worry about electrical continuity. Operationally there would be a running on end but running off 'should' be possible from either end (I think).

Paul.

Hi Paul

As noted above I have shortened one and it works so a BIG thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After a day trying to tile the downstairs loo, Mrs M wants floor to ceiling on all walls and they is quite big tiles, so over half of them need to be cut to size and it is taking ages. As a treat I took myself off to the manshed for a short operating session, it was fun but cold. While out there I found my hacksaw and with a few strokes of said saw I shortened a Peco loco lift. The new improved model works lovely, even tried it with a BR standard class 4 tank.

REME?

Mike.

Good news on the Loco Lift matey, and glad you had a good bit of a play as well.

You could do with one of them there Heated Builders Jackets

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=lW2hWP6jIbL38Af7hK-QBA&gws_rd=ssl#q=heated+jackets+mens&tbm=shop&spd=12097403849873973204

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

REME?

Mike.

Hi Mike

I must have missed the training days on tiling when I learned to be a gun fitter, not many tanks have floor to turret tiles inside. :no:

And when I was training to be a nurse the floor laying and plumbing study days were very important. :scratchhead: