Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

I will have a similar problem when I get my layout going, with the added complication that my terminus has through turn back workings (like Worcester Shrub Hill or Tilbury Riverside) so the destination blinds don't work either. I may have to revise the theoretical timetable.

On DMU tail lamps, you know and I know that DMUs carried them, but many don't so I am going to leave them off. Passenger stock I hadn't got as far as thinking about, but one on each end of fixed formation feels right (the next box is just going to send 7 bells a lot!). I am intending to shunt parcels and don't want lamps on both ends of all vehicles so will probably just leave them off.

Head codes for class 1 will be by having dedicated locos changed in the FY with 1Bnn on one end and 1Ann on the other. As you say, class 2 route numbers of that era do help.

I have an IA headcode book from early 70s and I am trying to reverse engineer some routing codes. It's interesting that LM to WR codes in the Birmingham area have different routing point references for the same route/number depending on whether you are reading the LM page or the WR page (e.g. Cutnall Green vs Hartlebury).

Just remember that only the really ancient and pedantic will know!

All the best,

Paul.

Hi Paul

I had considered some through DMU workings, maybe a Hull to Manchester with Manchester on each end. Now I would know why a train coming into a terminus called Sheffield Thingy-ma-jig with a Manchester destination displayed would mean but would other people especially Mr "I don't mean to criticise BUT" know. So to keep things simple and to aid any guest operators the Sheffield end of a DMU will always point to the station.

Hi Steve

I do try when operating to make sure that there is a good time gap between the train arriving and leaving to represent the crew change, passengers joining the train, platform staff ensuring the train is safe to depart as well as the time taken to couple and uncouple locomotives etc. I never just run a loco from the loco siding straight on to its train. I stop about an inch away then after a short delay move on to the train to represent the loco being guided on to the train by the shunter. When I drive a parcels train in it remains in the platfornm for a very long time to give the impression of it being unloaded and loaded.

Like wise. It was what I was implying when posting on Andy P's thread about taking your time. I certainly did this when operating Josh's Potterbourne at exhibitions and SAD's Salmon Pastures, even talking out loud so that the punters knew what was happening.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve

I have considered a something similar to what you do. With my eyesight and manual dexterity trying to place something as small as a 4mm lamp on a short piece of wire in the confines of the space between a locomotive and a coach and on platform two (and possibly platform three) where my line of sight having a canopy in the way, could result in a pile of lamps in the 4 foot and me swearing with a Neapolitan accent. That is why I am trying to devise a way that is both practical and visually correct as I can manage.  Your solution is much better prototypically than my suggestion. I will give it a bash, no harm in having a go but regularly derailing either a coach bogie or a loco pony truck when uncoupling in the station I think I my perceived limitations could well be correct.

I do try when operating to make sure that there is a good time gap between the train arriving and leaving to represent the crew change, passengers joining the train, platform staff ensuring the train is safe to depart as well as the time taken to couple and uncouple locomotives etc. I never just run a loco from the loco siding straight on to its train. I stop about an inch away then after a short delay move on to the train to represent the loco being guided on to the train by the shunter. When I drive a parcels train in it remains in the platfornm for a very long time to give the impression of it being unloaded and loaded.

Having said all that, certain language is not unheard of in my railway room either!  The buffer stops end of the station is badly lit and I sometimes resort to using the Flashlight app on my mobile phone to see where the lamp irons are.  With practice I think I've got used to where they are on the regular coaches (parcels vans vary a lot) and sometimes I can drop the lamps on without actually seeing the lamp irons!  Having said that I am a regular customer of Springside and have lost count of the number of lamps lost to the carpet monster or down the back of the fiddle yard when they ping off the tweezers in all sorts of directions!  Good practice to stop the loco short when backing on to the train then moving slowly onto the coaches as if guided by the shunter.  I try to remember to do that too, but some of the locos seem to have over confident drivers on them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can you use magnets? A little magnet in the coach, and another small one painted to resemble a lamp, and Maxwells laws ensuring that they stick together but can also be moved

Ought to be easier than faffing around with bits of wire and tiny loops.

Hi Zomboid

I like the concept. Without sounding too negative I can still foresee a potential problem. That is me. Dodgy eyes, platform canopies in the way and being hamfisted I think I will still have a pile of lamps in the 4 foot with the added problem of the tweezers connecting with the magnet and me lifting the coach as I mutter "Mama Mia, **** "

Again it is something to keep in mind and possibly have a play with.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Like wise. It was what I was implying when posting on Andy P's thread about taking your time. I certainly did this when operating Josh's Potterbourne at exhibitions and SAD's Salmon Pastures, even talking out loud so that the punters knew what was happening.

Hi Alan

With both Hanging Hill and Pig Lane I use to try and describe what was happening if I had a group of viewers who seemed interested. It is difficult to represent the essential human activity when the trains are stationary.

There were occasions when I was giving a commentary when my "mates" would inform the public " No need to worry, he is due his medication in a few minutes." 

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

You want one of these little fellows to change them over for you.........

attachicon.gifP1000130.JPG

I understand that Automaton Models hope to introduce them into their range on 1st April 2036.

Hi Peter

DCC sound fitted I hope, with a choice swear words in various accents :locomotive:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

YES!!! I read the first book aged about 7 or so and loved it,(around 1973) must have read it 50 times! Totally forgot about, what an unexpected blast from the past.

Hi Ghost. They are on their way back. It takes a while to sort out the technicalities. Glad you liked them. It seems many did not come across this series back in the day. Hopefully I can put that right now using the media which didn't exist then. Btw. I am the Mark from the book. I recently did a book signing at Calne Model Railway show and I will probably do Corsham Model Railway Show in April both organised by the Bentley MRC.

Mark

Edited by Eclipse247
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any progress on the layout? I saw there was a move afoot!

Hi Dan

All work is still on hold. I am getting out to drive it frequently but I have not done anything on the scenics in ages. The house should be going back on the market but if it doesn't sell by the autumn, Essex will be lucking in having me stay for ever.

We all have different goals with our layouts and mine in the past have been to get the scenics looking the part, but with this one I seem to have caught the operating bug and can imagine where the retaining wall is and the little people waiting on the platform.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

It's a nice layout, which is very simply served by those three points! How do you find them in operation? I'm looking at them and wondering if it would replace my minories style station throat? Do you have any issues operationally?

We are in a similar boat- we sold our house but then the buyer wanted more off etc etc... good thing is we moved on with father in law which means no chain for us so we can hold our ground... bad news is I'm limited to a quarter of the loft!

• RMweb Premium

It's a nice layout, which is very simply served by those three points! How do you find them in operation? I'm looking at them and wondering if it would replace my minories style station throat? Do you have any issues operationally?

We are in a similar boat- we sold our house but then the buyer wanted more off etc etc... good thing is we moved on with father in law which means no chain for us so we can hold our ground... bad news is I'm limited to a quarter of the loft!

Thanks Dan

Using the slips and the three way are not a problem, they are just a means of saving running line length.

What is a problem are my Seep point motors. Still having firing issues with both crossovers, now and then, well the up line to platforms 1 and 2 is more then than now. The point motor under the 3 way point forming the crossover from platform 3 to the down line does not always throw over enough to change the frog electrically. And a recent problem is the motor under the double slip that sends trains into platform 1 or 2 is not throwing over enough and is powering both platforms not isolating the one that I don't want. Not the best operating session this evening. I might be looking at replacing the Seeps with something else.

As for the house move, we are going back on the market soonish so I still don't know what will happen to all my layouts.

• Like 2

Thanks Dan

Using the slips and the three way are not a problem, they are just a means of saving running line length.

What is a problem are my Seep point motors. Still having firing issues with both crossovers, now and then, well the up line to platforms 1 and 2 is more then than now. The point motor under the 3 way point forming the crossover from platform 3 to the down line does not always throw over enough to change the frog electrically. And a recent problem is the motor under the double slip that sends trains into platform 1 or 2 is not throwing over enough and is powering both platforms not isolating the one that I don't want. Not the best operating session this evening. I might be looking at replacing the Seeps with something else.

As for the house move, we are going back on the market soonish so I still don't know what will happen to all my layouts.

I've replaced 3 out of 4 Seep / Gaugemaster PM1's on Trewithen, 2 with bad contacts / falling off, and all 3 had pin failure / flopping about like a jelly on the underground.

The 4th is iffy on the 3 way Point.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've replaced 3 out of 4 Seep / Gaugemaster PM1's on Trewithen, 2 with bad contacts / falling off, and all 3 had pin failure / flopping about like a jelly on the underground.

The 4th is iffy on the 3 way Point.

I had to give that a "funny" just for your descriptions :)

Andi

• Like 1

Thanks Dan

I know your pain...   Its a nightmare selling houses!   Good luck on the sale!

I lucked out with my Minories by deciding to make it  smaller... Any layout I build in the future will have to be portable and modular..

If you ever need to dispose of any of your Class 31's let me know :)  :)

• RMweb Premium

I have 'ad enough with the Seep motors fitted to Sheffield Exchange.

I have purchased some Tortoise motors to replace them. In reading about fitting these big green thingies it is suggested that the spring from the Peco points is removed. Simple enough for the 3 way and the loco siding point but the two slips the spring is underneath the tie bar. It looks like I will have to lift the silps and while I am at it replace the 3 way from when I damaged it some time ago. It works OK but I have a replacement sitting in the Sheffield Exchange scenics box.  

Has anyone else removed the springs from Peco slips with them in situ?

• RMweb Premium

I do hate when I spend ages looking for something and it was right under my hooter. I have a box of electrical small bits and bobs, could I find it? Searched through plies of stock boxes, layout bit boxes, no where to be seen. I just about to resign myself for a trip to Maplins tomorrow morning when I thought what's in that shoe box under the layout. I was hoping I still had one of my home made bridge rectifiers, I seem to have disposed of them or they are in a different box. Luckily my bag of odd diodes was in there and I have four of the same type that look suitable so can make a rectifier for the Tortoise point motors. 

• RMweb Gold

Left the springs on all the points on Abbotswood Clive ..... all tortoise powered, no problems at all

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Or wammy a Blade in to bend, break or destroy the spring from above mate, :O  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: WHOOPS,    SORRY That's the Bodgit in me coming out to play again. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

OFF BACK TO BED NOW. :stinker:

Edited by Andrew P