Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Did not Cyril Freezer have a similar plan in one of his books?

Hi Alan

He did, and it has always been a dream to build something similar.

I like terminus station operation and I like seeing trains run so hopefully this "will press all the right buttons".

• Like 2

Wow Clive, I bet you cant wait to wave good by to the Removals Lorry so you can get on with this mega project. It's looks like fun on steroids mate.

EDIT = DIET????? :nono:  :nono:  :nono: 

WOT SDAT?

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Wow Clive, I bet you cant wait to wave good by to the Removals Lorry so you can get on with this mega project. It's looks like fun on steroids mate.

EDIT = DIET????? :nono:  :nono:  :nono: 

WOT SDAT?

Hi Andy

We are in that limbo state where everything is in the hands of solicitors, surveyors and all. I haven't been feeling well over the weekend so I don't feel excited, but I should be.

As for the diet thing, do you think I can afford a big train set on a pension and EAT? :scratchhead:

lol, sometimes on my days off I forget to eat (or do the chores) when laying track or planning.... then suddenly the missus and lil one comes home and I've forgotten to do the chores but have fixed a signal or something lol!

The plan looks good and CJF is a good place to start!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy

Thanks for looking at the plan.

There will be some mods as time goes on, especially as I have now seen the room. First one is to enable a lifting section between the Manchester sidings and the L&Y junction, so that the door will open. Second to rework the Manchester sidings around the fire place.

The plan is such that the Manchester sidings are accessed from the inner track and the Doncaster sidings from the outer track. I am using single slips not crossings, so no access problems. It will mean stopping the train on the other line when making such moves but with only me operating it that will be OK. The junctions are in their respective positions because if placed where you suggest I would have to reduce the radius of the curves as a straight bit is required using a Peco crossing and it don't fit.

Don't worry about me not getting around the station. With the revision to the Manchester sidings I will shorten the trains to 6 Mk1 s and loco, and DMUs max 8 cars, that will shorten the platforms, too long a platform can look boring. I drew the concourse larger than it will be modelled. I am going to have only about an inch of concourse before the barriers, no station building. I will have the side walls and the front of the train shed but no roof. No scenery outside the railway boundary except Dignity Street bridge, complete with a couple of Sheffield buses just to give it a sense of location. Plus both me and Mrs M are going on a diet.

As for the mainline being inside, it will enable me to see the trains for a longer period and more importantly the sidings can be longer as they will not have to fit in the curve of the running line. I am still debating if the mainline will be scenic.

Sheffield exchange, dignity street revised.png

Still to do revision around fire place, I will do that once we have moved.[/quote)

The initial cross over looks similar to Leicester Belgrave Road :)

• RMweb Premium

The initial cross over looks similar to Leicester Belgrave Road :)

Hi Dan

I will have to have a look, I think I have Belgrave Road track plan in one of my GNR books.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All

The move has gone OK, loads to do around the house and paddock. Mrs M thinks the windies in the house need replacing so has a bloke coming round tomorrow, until they are done work on Sheffield Exchange Mk2 is on hold.

I have been allowed out to source a new model railway shop, Caistor Loco. Pete is very friendly and his shop is full of all sorts of bits and bobs.

• Like 2

Hi All

The move has gone OK, loads to do around the house and paddock. Mrs M thinks the windies in the house need replacing so has a bloke coming round tomorrow, until they are done work on Sheffield Exchange Mk2 is on hold.

I have been allowed out to source a new model railway shop, Caistor Loco. Pete is very friendly and his shop is full of all sorts of bits and bobs.

Hi Clive, you'd better get cracking mate, we have an OPENING PARTY booked for Christmas Eve, with a Coach load from the Club coming over, :O  hahahha

Regards to Mrs M, 

:sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive, you'd better get cracking mate, we have an OPENING PARTY booked for Christmas Eve, with a Coach load from the Club coming over, :O  hahahha

Regards to Mrs M, 

:sungum:

Hi Andy,

More than welcome, only if they are all carpenters who can help knock up the baseboards. :derisive:

• Like 1

Hi All

Some years ago I went to a talk in which it was stated that Lincolnshire was home to 27 miles of Motorway, not a lot for England's second largest county.

Welcome to the eastern wastes, and long may they remain quiet and tranquil.

John.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time for an update.

Nothing has happened in the building yet as I am still waiting for the windows to be done. The room has a carpet, cream in colour, so that has to go. It has been laid directly over the concrete floor. New delay, new floor needs putting in, this needs to be done if the layout is going to be operational until I am too old to play with it. Also the room needs a lick of paint, sky blue.

I did print off the Anyrail plan, laid it out on the floor and found a few things that didn't quite work. The major one being not enough room for a fat bald bloke to get between the station end and lines at the front window. I want to be able to run any full train into any platform. So to move the station down I redrew the layout taking full advantage of the width at the door end and arranged the junctions as suggested by Dagworth. I then realised the GNR lines in and out of the station need to hold a full train of an 8 car DMU. All  trains running on to these lines need to brought to a stand so the polarity can be changed, and DMUs can have their power car anywhere in the train. Yet again it was revised and the GNR junction reinstated where it was before. Some of the sidings when straight did not allow a full train to park in them so curving the ends has increased their capacity. 

post-16423-0-64986100-1505033798_thumb.png

I have also redrawn the station several times, I am now happy with this version.

post-16423-0-52050400-1505033853_thumb.png

I am going to build the front of the train shed. A long roof is boring to look at and I will have no access to the trains if needed. No concourse or station buildings, no room. I will model about a inch or so in front off the barriers. Possibly with no concourse etc. photos of trains standing at the buffers will look a lot better viewed looking trough the barriers.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 15

Time for an update.

Nothing has happened in the building yet as I am still waiting for the windows to be done. The room has a carpet, cream in colour, so that has to go. It has been laid directly over the concrete floor. New delay, new floor needs putting in, this needs to be done if the layout is going to be operational until I am too old to play with it. Also the room needs a lick of paint, sky blue.

I did print off the Anyrail plan, laid it out on the floor and found a few things that didn't quite work. The major one being not enough room for a fat bald bloke to get between the station end and lines at the front window. I want to be able to run any full train into any platform. So to move the station down I redrew the layout taking full advantage of the width at the door end and arranged the junctions as suggested by Dagworth. I then realised the GNR lines in and out of the station need to hold a full train of an 8 car DMU. All  trains running on to these lines need to brought to a stand so the polarity can be changed, and 

I am going to build the front of the train shed. A long roof is boring to look at and I will have no access to the trains if needed. No concourse or station buildings, no room. I will model about a inch or so in front off the barriers. Possibly with no concourse etc. photos of trains standing at the buffers will look a lot better viewed looking trough the barriers.

Clive,

Plans look good. Good luck when you get the room ready for action.

Cheers.

Time for an update.

I did print off the Anyrail plan, laid it out on the floor and found a few things that didn't quite work. The major one being not enough room for a fat bald bloke to get between the station end and lines at the front window. I want to be able to run any full train into any platform. So to move the station down I redrew the layout taking full advantage of the width at the door end and arranged the junctions as suggested by Dagworth. I then realised the GNR lines in and out of the station need to hold a full train of an 8 car DMU. All  trains running on to these lines need to brought to a stand so the polarity can be changed, and DMUs can have their power car anywhere in the train. Yet again it was revised and the GNR junction reinstated where it was before. Some of the sidings when straight did not allow a full train to park in them so curving the ends has increased their capacity. 

attachicon.gifTrack Plan as of 10-9-17.png

I have also redrawn the station several times, I am now happy with this version.

attachicon.gifNew station ideas 1-9-17.png

I hope you've taken into account room for TWO FAT BLOKES for when I come to visit Clive! :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

• RMweb Gold

the GNR lines in and out of the station need to hold a full train of an 8 car DMU. All  trains running on to these lines need to brought to a stand so the polarity can be changed, and DMUs can have their power car anywhere in the train.

Three alternative solutions spring to mind, one untenable, one that avoids the need to stop, and one that also does not require the full 8 car length.

Let's get the untenable out of the way first: go DCC!

Avoiding the need to stop: feed the 8 car sections through a bridge rectifier and change polarity on the move. This does prevent shunting out and back on these lines.

Keep shunting option: feed groups of the station sections via double pole switches for polarity change selected GN or L&Y. Possibly a double wafer rotary that progressively switches the station from L&Y polarity to GN polarity.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Three alternative solutions spring to mind, one untenable, one that avoids the need to stop, and one that also does not require the full 8 car length.

Let's get the untenable out of the way first: go DCC!

Avoiding the need to stop: feed the 8 car sections through a bridge rectifier and change polarity on the move. This does prevent shunting out and back on these lines.

Keep shunting option: feed groups of the station sections via double pole switches for polarity change selected GN or L&Y. Possibly a double wafer rotary that progressively switches the station from L&Y polarity to GN polarity.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will answer them one at a time.

1, I have about 300 odd forms of motive power and would like to run any of them at any time, so 300 chips is gonna be a lot of dosh therefore DCC has been ruled out very early on. In addition I am a bit of a DC Luddite and am happy without the extra C

2, How does that work, please?

3, That is sort of what I will be doing just on the two lines from the station to the GNR junction. Each section already has as planned a rotary switch for the four controllers. Three controlers for normal one man use, two on main lines and one in the station. The fourth is for when me and Andy get stuck behind the layout so he can play trains as well. Along side the rotary switch will be an on-off switch. When a section is not in use it will be switched off, thus allowing a change of controller taking place, and as the rotary passes through controller that has trains running , no excited electrons will dash into a section where they are not wanted. The two lines in question will have their rotary switch and a center off switch that will be the off and polarity reversing switch. Sounds more complicated than it is.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will answer them one at a time.

1, I have about 300 odd forms of motive power and would like to run any of them at any time, so 300 chips is gonna be a lot of dosh therefore DCC has been ruled out very early on. In addition I am a bit of a DC Luddite and am happy without the extra C

2, How does that work, please?

3, That is sort of what I will be doing just on the two lines from the station to the GNR junction. Each section already has as planned a rotary switch for the four controllers. Three controlers for normal one man use, two on main lines and one in the station. The fourth is for when me and Andy get stuck behind the layout so he can play trains as well. Along side the rotary switch will be an on-off switch. When a section is not in use it will be switched off, thus allowing a change of controller taking place, and as the rotary passes through controller that has trains running , no excited electrons will dash into a section where they are not wanted. The two lines in question will have their rotary switch and a center off switch that will be the off and polarity reversing switch. Sounds more complicated than it is.

Thanks again.

In addition to the answer number 3. My plan of operating is basically two trains circling around the room while I play "sort the next one out", be it in the station or one of the sets of sidings. when driving a train to or from a siding I will stop the other circulating train, mainly because many of the moves involve crossing from one line to the other. Like wise when moving a train to or from the station I will have to stop the circulating train if there is conflicting movement, so stopping the trains on the GNR lines  to change polarity will not be a problem.

• Like 2