Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh to be young again and sat on a trolley on the end of a platform.

Looks like an ex-XP64 coach behind the Thousand at 0:48. I can't recall the last time I saw a station trolley; do they still exist?  Only see  the customer luggage trollies around nowadays.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Looks like an ex-XP64 coach behind the Thousand at 0:48. I can't recall the last time I saw a station trolley; do they still exist?  Only see  the customer luggage trollies around nowadays.

Could well have been. WR had an (the?) XP64 rake in 1975 and used it on Oxford commuters.  Used to see it through Reading early evening.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2022 at 18:47, Peter Kazmierczak said:

They're Post Office trolleys.  By then teh Wr had virtually no platform trolleys having long converted parcels traffic to BRUTE handling.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

They're Post Office trolleys.  By then teh Wr had virtually no platform trolleys having long converted parcels traffic to BRUTE handling.

And much comfier to sit on than Brutes which were bl**dy cold on the bum, also much easier for a youngster to move about with the nice big handle.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

And much comfier to sit on than Brutes which were bl**dy cold on the bum, also much easier for a youngster to move about with the nice big handle.

And a better sitting height than brutes, and didn’t get puddles forming on the ‘sitting’ surface once it had gone concave.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

The old ex-MR four-wheel trolleys (with a wooden base) were nice and comfy, and just the right height too. Not as low as a Brute, not as high as a GPO one.
I remember helping the porter at Borrowash station when I was little, wheeling a trolley. And I managed NOT to derail the Scotch Express...

Ah the MR/LMS diagram 501 trolley, sad day when they were removed from the platforms.

image.png.294de447da0e8251d8e31a510a5526de.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Isn't it a crime to interfere with His Majesty's Royal Mail?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

And a better sitting height than brutes, and didn’t get puddles forming on the ‘sitting’ surface once it had gone concave.

Paul.

Ah but the fun trying sit the bloke in the puddle who had underlined all the Claytons but never been to Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

57 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Isn't it a crime to interfere with His Majesty's Royal Mail?

'Her' majesty was quite happy for me the common man to move empty trolleys.

We were helping the posties by putting them all in one place for them to collect them from once we'd gone home

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

'Her' majesty was quite happy for me the common man to move empty trolleys.

We were helping the posties by putting them all in one place for them to collect them from once we'd gone home

Blimey, we had a 4 wheel trolley of LMS origin at Prestatyn into the mid 80s which was great to sit on and was used for the holiday camp passengers luggage in the summer over the crossing to the car park / taxi rank (tips galore), talk about long lost days! Wonder what happened to it now, how sad!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Violet was invited on to the stage when the band saw her dancing at the start of the show. She went back and joined her parents, she carried on dancing for the whole set. When the band came back on for the encore they invited her back on the stage. What a cool experience for a kid. It must be like being asked at a model railway show to operate a layout. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I just had a thing come up preventing me form seeing the forum as I have an ad blocker. I got in by clicking the "I intend to join the gold crap." How many times will I be able to use that before I am not allowed on the forum?

First we get unwanted adverts for stuff not related to toy trains. Then all the photos disappear, so I put them back up and they disappear for a second time, making threads stupid. Now it is turn off your ad blocker or pay. Do they want people to contribute or do they want money?

016a.jpg.4ea4092b99f98e6f515418842d0250d7.jpg

This might be the last train to leave Sheffield Exchange on this thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I just had a thing come up preventing me form seeing the forum as I have an ad blocker. I got in by clicking the "I intend to join the gold crap." How many times will I be able to use that before I am not allowed on the forum?

First we get unwanted adverts for stuff not related to toy trains. Then all the photos disappear, so I put them back up and they disappear for a second time, making threads stupid. Now it is turn off your ad blocker or pay. Do they want people to contribute or do they want money?

I came here again to look at where you may have any image issues (after you told me to) but I haven't observed anything in the pages I've looked at at random over the last year. What I do see is the comment quoted. That 'gold crap' along with 'unwanted' adverts is helping pay for your usage of the site; the server needs paying for, a portion of my time too and surely any business has a right to cover its costs at least. If it didn't there wouldn't be a site. I work hard to try and ensure we give good value and user experience but comments like those above make me wonder why I bother sometimes; thankfully not everyone thinks and feels the same way and they value the site and its longevity so I get up and do it all again every day. Some even say "I can't chip in but I do appreciate what the site has meant to me over the years" and, you know what, that's just fine by me. I don't come here to be insulted though.

You could have just kept quiet and under the radar (without offending me) and just got on with life.

• Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive,

I know how you feel.  Every time I go to the next page, the Digitrains video pops up and plays again.  I have watched it through completely, thinking it would stop it replaying, but it starts all over again.  

Paul

But they missed the 66 on the front of the Freightliner...🤪😪

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I came here again to look at where you may have any image issues (after you told me to) but I haven't observed anything in the pages I've looked at at random over the last year. What I do see is the comment quoted. That 'gold crap' along with 'unwanted' adverts is helping pay for your usage of the site; the server needs paying for, a portion of my time too and surely any business has a right to cover its costs at least. If it didn't there wouldn't be a site. I work hard to try and ensure we give good value and user experience but comments like those above make me wonder why I bother sometimes; thankfully not everyone thinks and feels the same way and they value the site and its longevity so I get up and do it all again every day. Some even say "I can't chip in but I do appreciate what the site has meant to me over the years" and, you know what, that's just fine by me. I don't come here to be insulted though.

When gold was first proposed apart form being on the forum nothing else was of interest. I think you would agree as general rule in life why pay for stuff you are not going to use?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

@AY Mod- Telling me I must turn off my adblocker (doing will greatly slow down PC performance while it runs all the animated ads for things I won't be buying) is like telling me I must leave my house unlocked because otherwise door-to-door salesmen can't let themselves into my house.

I really do value RMWeb - for mental health reasons over the last couple of years, if nothing else - but if the site must contain ads, please consider that animated adverts eat RAM (and are much more likely to contain viruses).  If the necessary adverts were all "stills" it would be much more tolerable.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

When gold was first proposed apart form being on the forum nothing else was of interest. I think you would agree as general rule in life why pay for stuff you are not going to use?

And since that time I pushed for something that was just targetted at making RMweb users have a better experience for a low-cost.

1567475424_Leaderboarddog.png.ee0c385e03

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I really do value RMWeb - for mental health reasons over the last couple of years, if nothing else -

Me too but I think it's been worth the £10 a year for the group therapy it provides me with.

Each to their own and you cut your cloth to suit etc.

RMWeb has also taught me today a little about servers (and viruses), via your post, so it ain't all trains.

@Clive Mortimore it's all them videos with birds in what you post, what's slowing it down 😜

Edited by Tim Dubya
humour, well an attempt
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

And since that time I pushed for something that was just targetted at making RMweb users have a better experience for a low-cost.

1567475424_Leaderboarddog.png.ee0c385e03

Andy,

The Google Ads have not been an issue.  I just thought I’d air my issue with the Digitrains video.  I enjoyed watching it once, it was even useful, but it is slowing everything down.  My internet is not the best, living in the back of beyond, but it becomes an issue when the video uploads, but users photos do not on different threads, without several attempts.  
I’m aware of the issues you’ve had to contend with and I appreciate your work in maintaining this site.

Paul

• Agree 1