Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

I have escaped.

I am traumatised.

I shall be lying down in a quiet dark room for some time.

Thank you.

Did you learn anything new ?

Probably not !

Did you become frustrated after 10 minutes ?

Most likely.

Is it still playing on your mind ?

I expect so.

Will you be opening a beer or three later ?

If you've got any strength left ....yes !

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just noticed we/I have reach 100 pages about my layout and poor old Doc having to role play today.

Bit of advice for Doc, become old like wot many of us are and retire. You suddenly realise all that effort you made in those silly corporate days role playing was a waste of time.

Back in the days of me doing a real job and working with other people, I never really missed anyone who had retired because of their commitment to the job or their reliability etc. I only missed those who were good mates. Why did we all bust a gut at work, the bosses never miss us they just find another mug to replace us. Hopefully our mates miss us because we are mates not super-duper workers. 

• RMweb Premium

Watch out I have my serious head on.

I know Olddudders is following this thread but who else is? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137949-Hornby-2019-modern-range/

Reading it is very sad. For some reason a bunch of puffer nutters have latched on to it. It is about diesels and electrics. Very few suggestions for multiple units, and most came form someone who wanted BR green locos and units. Most people travel on multiple units they are part of our railway structure. All the good D&E layouts recognise this feature and get the balance right the poor ones have more engineers trains than passenger. Lots of engineer trains means rail replacement buses. Then those who are sort of sensible and stick to the OPs idea of what modern stuff Hornby could do want a new livery and an upgrade with more lights and sound.  Stuff that D&E modellers use to do themselves. I just despair.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Then those who are sort of sensible and stick to the OPs idea of what modern stuff Hornby could do want a new livery and an upgrade with more lights and sound.  Stuff that D&E modellers use to do themselves. I just despair.

Call yourself a modeller?

Have you done sound and lights yourself?

:jester:

• RMweb Premium

Call yourself a modeller?

Have you done sound and lights yourself?

:jester:

Yeah I use to do the lights at gigs, mainly the Heroes club in Chelmsford. Sometimes I would do the lights for local bands when they played elsewhere. On very rare occasions I go to see a band I had done the lights for in Chelmsford and they would ask me to do the lights for them at the venues I paid to go and see them at.

Sound no, tone deaf and you wouldn't want me on the mixing desk.

Some of you lot have mentioned who you had a crush on when younger, well I always liked Kirsty and was very lucky to meet her backstage at a gig. She was a very lovely lady.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I know Olddudders is following this thread but who else is? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137949-Hornby-2019-modern-range/

Reading it is very sad. For some reason a bunch of puffer nutters have latched on to it. It is about diesels and electrics. Very few suggestions for multiple units, and most came form someone who wanted BR green locos and units. Most people travel on multiple units they are part of our railway structure. All the good D&E layouts recognise this feature and get the balance right the poor ones have more engineers trains than passenger. Lots of engineer trains means rail replacement buses. Then those who are sort of sensible and stick to the OPs idea of what modern stuff Hornby could do want a new livery and an upgrade with more lights and sound.  Stuff that D&E modellers use to do themselves. I just despair.

Agree, what is lacking is a range of OH EMUs to match the existing OH Locos. As an example I was pondering on Ilkley as a steam preserved/BR interface station assuming the line onwards towards Addingham and Bolton Abbey had closed but been preserved.. A nice station to model. What is lacking are any r-t-r EMUs for the modern side, neither the older 308s or what is running there now. Kits it would have had to be. I think there is one r-t-r OH EMU and that is it, yet both 1500v OH locos and 25Kv types have been available, on and off, since the 60s.

• Like 1

I would retire like a shot if a) my pension hadn't been banjaxed and b) the Junior Dr Gerbil-Fritters wasn't suffering through what passes for Higher Education... 

Anyway, I had egg and chips for tea,so fark the bosses and up the workers

I may even get into the shed this weekend if I get all my chores done, and the broken limbed one allows it :)

• RMweb Premium

I am in Toy Room driving trains (and listening to music via the flip flop as Mr P calls it). I was going to give you all an up to the minute report on me driving two trains into the station at the same time. I opened up the controllers slowly, the 3 car BRCW unit started first and a few seconds later the 6 car (4+2) BRCW commenced rolling. Then a LOUD BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP alarm  went off. Full on panic. I stopped the trains, checked none of the controllers was burning, no soldering iron was on and the laptop seemed OK (Skating Polly were singing away totally unaware of my panic). What the hell is happening. I lifted up the door bridge open the door to see the stupid one fanning the smoke alarm. It had set off both alarms where it had burnt something it was cooking. When every thing went quiet off it disappears leaving a mess in the kitchen. That is what failing higher education does for you.

My bedroom is next door to the kitchen, I had left the door open so the dogs could get to their beds (which are in my room, don't ask) I have a room full of smoke.

Otherwise this evenings running session has been a hit. I have had hauled local trains bombing around. I have had DMUs on more long distant trains, for example the 3 car BRCW was on a Manchester limited stopping service and the 6 car was returning holiday makers from Scarborough. I was shunting a couple of wagons back to the steam loco sidings and the loco was getting stuck on the three way on the GNR side of the station, a problem I still hadn't resolved from painting the track. It wasn't the point but the railjoiners not conducting the electrons, a gentle squeeze on them and WOW.

I also remembered that the Hippity Hoppity Flippity Floppity has a camera, and can video. So I had ago.. No you will not see the result, it is a very grainy image, almost like the whole picture is being pixelated and more jerky than a silent movie. So that as a failure, I wonder if our lineside photographer has a 8 mm camera. I bet he has but no film. No idea which chemist he as gone to get this film as he has been away a long time.

See totally unaware of my panic.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Several good reasons there not to follow that thread. Thanks for saving my time and blood pressure.

• RMweb Premium

Get yon Flippitie Floppetie to drop your hoppitie spottiey filmie thingiieiei and downup loadit to remwebthreadie forus mortelius tho veewe. :boast:

No.

It was a failed experiment.

If I were to upload it, it would be presented as a piece of modern moving art.

Yeah I use to do the lights at gigs, mainly the Heroes club in Chelmsford. Sometimes I would do the lights for local bands when they played elsewhere. On very rare occasions I go to see a band I had done the lights for in Chelmsford and they would ask me to do the lights for them at the venues I paid to go and see them at.

Sound no, tone deaf and you wouldn't want me on the mixing desk.

Some of you lot have mentioned who you had a crush on when younger, well I always liked Kirsty and was very lucky to meet her backstage at a gig. She was a very lovely lady.

You lucky beggar!!!

She met her too early demise before I had a chance to see her live.

At least I have the albums.

Her version of the Bragg tune A New England, with Johnny Marr is inspired!!

C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Several good reasons there not to follow that thread. Thanks for saving my time and blood pressure.

Hi UDJ

The best was some pillock suggesting a reintroduction of an updated Lord of the Isles or even a Johnson Spinner. :yahoo:

I got told off by Ian. :beee:

• RMweb Premium

Hi UDJ

The best was some pillock suggesting a reintroduction of an updated Lord of the Isles or even a Johnson Spinner. :yahoo:

I got told off by Ian. :beee:

Fair call - they look the same don't they? Just different colours...

• RMweb Premium

The weather today is a tad damp so all planned activities outside have been postponed :yahoo: apart form the runs to the council tip and on the way back pop into Morrisons for some essentials (doughnuts are essentials?) I have an opportunity to play with Sheffield Exchange  :locomotive: Nah I am logging off to have a nap  :lazy:  :lazy: 

• Like 1

The weather today is a tad damp so all planned activities outside have been postponed :yahoo: apart form the runs to the council tip and on the way back pop into Morrisons for some essentials (doughnuts are essentials?) I have an opportunity to play with Sheffield Exchange  :locomotive: Nah I am logging off to have a nap  :lazy:  :lazy:

You have a Morrisons on the outskirts of Russia? cor blimey mate.

• RMweb Premium

There is now someone asking if Hornby will do their locos in 00, EM or P4, whatever they are? :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

There is now someone asking if Hornby will do their locos in 00, EM or P4, whatever they are? :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

A 15 inch gauge live streamer would go down very well for those of us modelling the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't play with the layout at all yesterday, I even went to bed/sleep early last night. 

I have been pondering about the signalling. I have been trying to find a seven digit display that is small enough for a theater type display for the approach signals. I would also like to add shunt signals to the platform end signals in the style of the Manchester Victoria and Exchange resignalling of 1929.

I am not after advice on the signalling plan, that has been discussed but on constructing the signals.

• RMweb Premium

Gn15 is a real thing, there's a fair few layouts in the scale on carendt.com. never seen an RHDR one though.

Hi Zomboid

My plan was to build a 15 inch line using 00 track and locos in approx 1/24th scale.  It didn't get much further. I don't have the space for another layout.

Perhaps, a 1/24th scale terminus station :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :sungum: :nono: :dontknow: :mosking:

Edited by Clive Mortimore