Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

Excellent work yet again! How do the HEAs come apart please?

There is two screws under them but I wouldn't take them apart as putting them back together is a pain.  Instead I left mine assembled and just masked them up for painting.

• Like 1

Richard, 

I've been watching your videos for ages, and hanging around this thread for quite some time, and I thought I should say hello! 

The HSTs both look fabulous! Don't you think it's a shame that the tooling for the MKIIIs is quite poor in comparison to the power cars. Personally I don't think they hold up that well, when compared to the Bachmann MKIs, etc... Interested to hear your thoughts...

Richard, 

I've been watching your videos for ages, and hanging around this thread for quite some time, and I thought I should say hello! 

The HSTs both look fabulous! Don't you think it's a shame that the tooling for the MKIIIs is quite poor in comparison to the power cars. Personally I don't think they hold up that well, when compared to the Bachmann MKIs, etc... Interested to hear your thoughts...

The Mk3s are an interesting one.  The real thing is rather sleek and doesn't have a great deal going on.  Personally I think they look quite good once weathered, but they do need improvement in some areas.

The couplings are the biggest issue for me.  A close coupling system similar to Bachmann mk1s and 2s would transform the look of a rake.  Factory applied brake disks would be nice too.

• Like 1

The Mk3s are an interesting one.  The real thing is rather sleek and doesn't have a great deal going on.  Personally I think they look quite good once weathered, but they do need improvement in some areas.

What I'm not a big fan of is the mish mash of Hornby derived and Lima derived Mk3s. In a passing rake you don't notice too much, but it would be nice to have some uniformity. I've achieved this by sticking to detailing Lima Mk3s (which have slightly more correct details for BR anyway) and Lima derived Hornby coaches.

I think certain types of Mk3 need to be made too - LHCS Mk3as and Mk3bs and a true TRSB to start with. An INTERCITY Swallow RFM would be nice too. Considering that Bachmann have a Class 90 on the way, these coaches should be sought after to go with it! 

• 4 weeks later...

Its been quiet on the layout recently.  I started a new job last month so didn't spent very much time on the layout.  

I have been working on one of my 50s though.  It will become 50028 and is nearing the end of it's respray.  NSE is quite a challenge to paint due to all the lines and colours but I'm very happy with how its looking.  I've just gloss coated it and once dry the transfers will go on.

NSE white goes on first.

post-23223-0-60530600-1430661783_thumb.jpg

Then the yellow ends.  

post-23223-0-23349100-1430661786_thumb.jpg

NSE light blue next.

post-23223-0-06583700-1430661788_thumb.jpg

Red stripe and grey band.

post-23223-0-15678800-1430661790_thumb.jpg

Black for the roof.

post-23223-0-65446700-1430661792_thumb.jpg

Finally the cantrail stripe.  I paint these on as I usually mess up cantrail transfers.

post-23223-0-67696100-1430661794_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard w
  • Like 6

Thanks guys.  

The new job is going very well.  I ditched my IT career for classic car restoration.  So glad I made the change, had been very unhappy with work for over a year.  Now instead of computers I'm working on this  :imsohappy:

post-23223-0-04891600-1431025621_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Hi Richard,

Massive fan of what you have done with Everard Junction, and really enjoy your how to videos. Your resprayed Network 50's and stock look so much better then in original condition. Do you have any tips on getting the angles correct for the network livery on 50028 Tiger? Planning to respray 5 Network 50's (plus 22 coaches later on!!) in the revised livery (light and dark blue) and have never even used an airbrush!! Airbrush and compressor arrive next month and got some old Lima stock to practice on but any tips would be greatly recieved

Nice one Richard...glad you are enjoying the new job. I too lost my job a few weeks back and are now doing something completely different to what i have been for the last 23 years and i too feel free and relieved as i now only work three days a week and earn just as much if not more money so i now have more time to work on the layout.

Hi Richard,

Massive fan of what you have done with Everard Junction, and really enjoy your how to videos. Your resprayed Network 50's and stock look so much better then in original condition. Do you have any tips on getting the angles correct for the network livery on 50028 Tiger? Planning to respray 5 Network 50's (plus 22 coaches later on!!) in the revised livery (light and dark blue) and have never even used an airbrush!! Airbrush and compressor arrive next month and got some old Lima stock to practice on but any tips would be greatly recieved

Best tip for getting NSE right is to find and print out as many photos as possible of the actual class 50 you want to paint.  There are subtle differences in both the original and revised livery on the 50s so get as many pictures as you can.  Then I use parts of the model and real thing to work out angles and where colours should change.  Things like door handles, rivets, window frames, grills and hand rails can really help with gauging the position of certain parts of the livery.  

The biggest thing to get right is the straightness of the masking tape.  The slightest curve along the model will give the appearance of a warped bodyshell.  When masking make sure you hold the body up with a cab facing you and look very closely down the length from a cab end.  Any issues should jump out.

Hope that helps.  Good luck with the resprays and take your time.  It took me 1 month to respray 12 coaches and a 50.  Tiger on its own took 1 week to paint.  NSE makes BR blue resprays look like a walk in the park.

post-23223-0-44394400-1431767623_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard w
  • Like 5

Nice one Richard...glad you are enjoying the new job. I too lost my job a few weeks back and are now doing something completely different to what i have been for the last 23 years and i too feel free and relieved as i now only work three days a week and earn just as much if not more money so i now have more time to work on the layout.

Thanks Terry.  Glad your new job is working out for you.  A career change was just what I needed, haven't looked back since and am much happier these days.

• Like 1

Cheers for the tips Richard. I at no point underestimate the difficulty that lies ahead to a novice like myself . Everard Junction has been a massive inspiration to me, and is the main reason the modelling bug has returned after 20 years so thank you. Planning on modelling a lose interpritation of Sailsbury in '91 so plenty of 50's, 33's 47's and loco changes . Will be using your 'How To' videos a lot when I get the project started I think

Rich.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

The new job is going very well. I ditched my IT career for classic car restoration. So glad I made the change, had been very unhappy with work for over a year. Now instead of computers I'm working on this :imsohappy:

20150430_115656.jpg

Wowzer, I wish I had your courage! Always said if I won the lottery I'd work on cars instead of my day job - that said given the quality of your models I'd imagine you'd be good at that sort of thing and quite frankly I wouldn't be lol

• Like 1

I've been very busy over the last few weeks.  I've constructed and new board which will house a coach depot/storage area.  The plan is to replicate some station pilot movements and shunt rakes between the sidings and the station. So far things are going well.  All the track is laid and wired up.  I've also wired up about 50% of the point motors.

post-23223-0-94839200-1434283995_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-76547200-1434283997_thumb.jpg

Track on the layout has been changed slightly.  I've removed the crossover that connected the outer track to centre track and moved it further up to connect the branch to the centre track.  This gives the station pilot access to every platform in the station.  A set points to link the outer track to the station is being laid elsewhere. 

post-23223-0-98153500-1434283998_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-46746000-1434284000_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-09132300-1434284002_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-90496200-1434284003_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-62259100-1434284005_thumb.jpg

Uncoupling will be done using magnets and I'm fitting more points at the end of the sidings to release the station pilot after it's parked up a rake.

More pics are on the way as I make more progress.

A full video series for this is in progress and the first 4 parts can be found on my YouTube channel.

Cheers

• Like 10

Nice one Richard...it's good to have another extra scenic board if room permits. Is it going to be a scenic siding like mine?

Thanks Terry.  Yes it will be fully scenic, Aberdeen Kirkhill is my source of inspiration.  Love that layout.