Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

Been rather cold recently so I've turned my attention to projects I can work on away from the loft.

I saw a video recently where a class 08 was cut open and fitted with a plastic diesel engine as if it was having an engine swap.  I have an old Bachmann 04 that could do with something similar.  So i've been working on turning it into an out of service example to be left at the end of a siding somewhere.

The 04 has a gardner 8l3 engine.  Below is my attempt at making an engine which looks roughly similar to the gardner 8l3.  Its not finished yet, but so far I think it will do the job.

post-23223-0-04239500-1422714409_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-25238300-1422714420_thumb.jpg

The 04 has had its grills removed and will later have them fitted back on in the open position.  A repaint and a touch of rust should make for an interesting scene.

post-23223-0-75484300-1422714418_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I've made some more progress with the 04.  The engine is now fixed to a plasticard chassis which also holds the wheels and connecting rods from the original chassis block. I've also added some paint to the body and engine.

Engine compartment doors are next on the list.

post-23223-0-49223000-1424281626_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-31982300-1424281628_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-50514900-1424281630_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-95385800-1424281632_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Hi Richard

Just a quick couple of questions. I notice you use Seep point motors with the built in polarity switch. I have read a lot of negative stuff on different forums etc about them with some saying Tortoise etc are the way to go.

So my questions are:

How have you found them regarding reliability?

Have you ever used the likes of Tortoise/Cobalt etc? If so, how do they compare?

Cheers Richard and keep up the good work

Paul 

Edited by blanman27

Hi Richard

Just a quick couple of questions. I notice you use Seep point motors with the built in polarity switch. I have read a lot of negative stuff on different forums etc about them with some saying Tortoise etc are the way to go.

So my questions are:

How have you found them regarding reliability?

Have you ever used the likes of Tortoise/Cobalt etc? If so, how do they compare?

Cheers Richard and keep up the good work

Paul 

For the money I think the seeps are good.  The switches in mine all still work and I've had them installed for about 4 years now.  The key is to get them lined up perfectly when they are installed.

If you can afford it go with Tortoise, they are better and have the nice slow speed operation.  They are over 3 times the price of seeps though.

The cobalt motors offer the same stuff as tortoise but opinion seems divided on those. 

Thanks

Have just viewed your video on the Berko yard lights, not bad very good for your TMD. For me I would install a few more but then again that might ruin the effect

I'm just in the process of changing yard lights myself mine were from CRSignals. I've changed one already, installed and wired up working one problem for me is height can't be too high

Excellent and informative video as always good sir! I particularly loved the shot of the staging area with the suburb in the back. Looks absolutely excellent! The side on shot of 47 612 "TITAN" could be mistaken for real life by many I reckon.

Keep up the good work! 

Hello Richard

I have been an avid follower of your layout for a long time on Youtube.  You are an inspiration and I have learnt much from you.

I am currently at the early stages of re-building my layout "Parkway" and posting on the layout forum.

I will be driving everything through the ECoS Control Centre this time (I used analogue for points and signals last time) so no doubt I am in for a challenge!!

Wish there were more videos on Youtube related to the ECoS Control - the instruction manual tends to give you a headach after a while!!

Keep up the great work Richard and thank you for all your information

Regards

John

Have just viewed your video on the Berko yard lights, not bad very good for your TMD. For me I would install a few more but then again that might ruin the effect

I'm just in the process of changing yard lights myself mine were from CRSignals. I've changed one already, installed and wired up working one problem for me is height can't be too high

Height is an issue for me to.  I had previously looked at some very tall lights which looked fantastic, but I think they would dominate the area.  These berko ones are a nice height.  Even so I'm sure I'll manage to knock one over at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Richard

Big follower of your Vids for ages. Was wondering how long it takes you to upload them to Youtube, as some of them are 20mins plus in duration? It takes me nearly half an hour just to load a 2 min video... but I am a bit of a novice in this department. 

Many thanks

Dave

Hello Richard

Big follower of your Vids for ages. Was wondering how long it takes you to upload them to Youtube, as some of them are 20mins plus in duration? It takes me nearly half an hour just to load a 2 min video... but I am a bit of a novice in this department. 

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Its takes about 30 - 40 mins to upload and process my videos.  Biggest factor is the upload speed which will determine how long it takes to upload the video to YouTube.  Then after that YouTube has to process the video before you can watch it in a decent resolution.  Sometimes the processing can take ages if YouTube is really busy.

Fortunately I have a good ISP so my upload is quite fast.

post-23223-0-68369300-1425823158.jpg

Hope that helps.

I'm a bit late to the post, but thanks for the vids, they've given me mant hours of enjoyment too. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you have encouraged many modellers both old and new :)