RMweb

Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Great work, looks good, did you need to extend the length of the driveshafts or did they work out fine as there were in their new application? Had to extend the ones on my Heljan 47 donor so the 66 looks a better alternative!

As a sidethought, it would be good to have a dedicated Class 92 superdetailing/remotoring thread for us all to compare and contrast ideas, modelling and prototype detailing pics somewhere? We can separate out from the Bachmann 90 thread and give these magnificent locos the attention they deserve!

• 1 month later...

Hi a bit late in response but here goes!

Bachmann to produce a Class 90.... Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooo! Although by the time they actually it the shelves my whoop of joy will probably have died down to a reasonably excited murmur.

Working pantograph (nearly put working panto.... sudden vision of Danny La Rue and snotty nosed kids). Great idea, but on a bang for buck basis... I'm not sure. As for working OHLE...... Hell No! It's bad enough doing the whole frog thing, let alone working out overhead wires!!! besides as no ones manufacturing ready to plonk prototypical non-working OHLE in any great volume as yet. It would seem the notion of prototypically working stuff is a bit of a way off.

For those into the idea of taking their beloved Hornby 92 and swapping out the sound of the arthritic cake mixer and pulling power of an asthmatic tortoise for something a whole lot quieter and smoother. I did a fairly straightforward job of swapping out a chassis from a Hornby Class 60. If you can forgo head and tails lights. It requires minimal surgery to the chassis. If you want to install lighting be prepared for some steady hacksaw work. On the down side, the bogey side frames are a tad out. But for an afternoon project that provides a great result it's well with it.

Cheers to all

Dear Mr Bachmann. I'd like my 90's in I.C Swallow (two off please) RES and a couple of Virgins.............. and maybe chuck in an RFD grey for good measure.

Hi a bit late in response but here goes!

Bachmann to produce a Class 90.... Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooo! Although by the time they actually it the shelves my whoop of joy will probably have died down to a reasonably excited murmur.

Working pantograph (nearly put working panto.... sudden vision of Danny La Rue and snotty nosed kids). Great idea, but on a bang for buck basis... I'm not sure. As for working OHLE...... Hell No! It's bad enough doing the whole frog thing, let alone working out overhead wires!!! besides as no ones manufacturing ready to plonk prototypical non-working OHLE in any great volume as yet. It would seem the notion of prototypically working stuff is a bit of a way off.

For those into the idea of taking their beloved Hornby 92 and swapping out the sound of the arthritic cake mixer and pulling power of an asthmatic tortoise for something a whole lot quieter and smoother. I did a fairly straightforward job of swapping out a chassis from a Hornby Class 60. If you can forgo head and tails lights. It requires minimal surgery to the chassis. If you want to install lighting be prepared for some steady hacksaw work. On the down side, the bogey side frames are a tad out. But for an afternoon project that provides a great result it's well with it.

Cheers to all

Dear Mr Bachmann. I'd like my 90's in I.C Swallow (two off please) RES and a couple of Virgins.............. and maybe chuck in an RFD grey for good measure.

Thought I's put my money where my mouth is and try and make a vain attempt at filling in on the detail of the Class 92 re-motoring project…….. It was however a bit of a while ago...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94743-class-92-better-late-than-never/

• 2 weeks later...

However, considering the op, I have a Lima cl 87 and a Hornby Cl 86-1 (Andre Chapelon), both with Hornby cl 90 5 pole ringfield power bogies.  They dont run very well, particularly at low speed due to be slightly mismatched, and so plan A is to get a couple of class 90s and sub the chassis into the Cl 86 and 87 body shells.  I understand the bogies are actually identical.  Any views on this?

John F.

I've did the same a long time ago....! In theory the component count should work, but what bits you can use from the chassis and how it'll fit is still an unknown. Cost wise, other chassis are available, but if you have a use for one, the left over bits could make a dummy 90.

• 1 month later...

Still wondering if Bachmann ought to be doing a different Powerhaul Class 90 to 90042. Looks as if the real thing is still out of traffic undergoing further repairs. http://www.class90electriclocogroup.co.uk/class90_daily_news_gen.html (Daily Gen Report - 13th January)

Thankfully it's back is service now so it's not a problem, unless it goes bang again before the release !!

Very excited by this news! However, I may wait until a Virgin or an EWS variant is released which would fit in perfectly with my era of pendolinos just arriving (early 2000s)

Though I'm afraid we could be in for a rather long wait, even for the initial releases. (See countless posts regarding production timescales/issues and prices on the Bachmann 2015 thread.)

But as many fellow modellers keep reminding us it is only a hobby and all good things are worth waiting for.

Just glad I repowered my Hornby Virgin 90015 with the latest chassis/motor/NEM sockets to 'see it through'.

how times change......when i was a lad me and dad never even discussed what new models we wanted to see from Hornby.  you just made do with what was already in the local model shop but now many of us are hungry for the next model then the next then the next.........im guilty of this myself but i think its a bit sad in a way that our hobby has come to this.

• Like 1

Though I'm afraid we could be in for a rather long wait, even for the initial releases. (See countless posts regarding production timescales/issues and prices on the Bachmann 2015 thread.)

But as many fellow modellers keep reminding us it is only a hobby and all good things are worth waiting for.

Just glad I repowered my Hornby Virgin 90015 with the latest chassis/motor/NEM sockets to 'see it through'.

Well I'm currently running my Virgin rake with the Hornby Class 90 in the First Scotrail colours, which runs quite well considering it still has that motor from years ago. I would love to convert this if I could and maybe improve that pantograph. I am gutted I didn't keep the box for that Caledoninan Sleeper pack now as I imagine it'll be worth a fortune one day. I can't see why Bachmann wouldn't release Virgin or EWS eventually as both were very common for the 90s, and I'm surprised neither were in this initial batch being produced.

how times change......when i was a lad me and dad never even discussed what new models we wanted to see from Hornby.  you just made do with what was already in the local model shop but now many of us are hungry for the next model then the next then the next.........im guilty of this myself but i think its a bit sad in a way that our hobby has come to this.

Way of the world now though which is a shame, we have no sooner bought something then the upgrade/new version is available and it is being rammed down our throats. 

It's all about money, greed,  gimmie, gimmie, gimmie.  Sad really. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

• 10 months later...

Way of the world now though which is a shame, we have no sooner bought something then the upgrade/new version is available and it is being rammed down our throats. 

It's all about money, greed,  gimmie, gimmie, gimmie.  Sad really.

There's much truth in that.

When I was a teenager, an old Triang 3F I tarted up faithfully served as a J36 in my imagination until it gave up its chassis to a Wills J39 when I had my first job! :-)

I guess we called it 'getting the best out of what you had'. In between times I too went through a ridiculously acquisitive phase and ended up with a loft full of stuff that could never be used. Did that largesse enhance my life? Nah, not really.

In the end, changing circumstances forced a cull and though there's still a modest amount left, it's all stuff that will be used and appreciated.

I do still buy things on occasion but it has to be something of genuine relevance. I get more joy from finding a rough kit build in a second hand box and honing it into a decent fettle.

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From what I have read recently it appears the loco is still only in the design stage of development which to me is absolutely ridiculous as other locos be they electric, diesel or steam have gone through all the stages of development including prototype and full production in far less time and whilst I understand modellers want models that are not only going to look right in every detail and run well they don't want to be waiting years for them.

Any thoughts on this.

What other Bachmann electric loco has gone through the process faster?

(Dons flame suit) Maybe they're holding back as they think it might not be a brilliant seller?

Maybe they're waiting for Oxford Rail's Mk3 to haul?

The 90 isn't the only one - where's the 158?

Patience.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I don't think the problem is where the model is its just we have no indication of when to expect it. I'd only ask that we are given a year and then if there are delays so be it but I'm not a fan of announcing something years and years in advance. The poor 158 has suffered even longer.

From what I have read recently it appears the loco is still only in the design stage of development which to me is absolutely ridiculous as other locos be they electric, diesel or steam have gone through all the stages of development including prototype and full production in far less time and whilst I understand modellers want models that are not only going to look right in every detail and run well they don't want to be waiting years for them.

Any thoughts on this.

Any thoughts on this?  Yup, not happy with what the manufacturers are achieving?  Easy... set up your own business with your own hard-earned funds and show everyone what a walk-in-the-park the manufacturing business is...

As others have highlighted, many other models have taken perhaps equally long to produce - the Class 85 took around 3 years, if I recall correctly?  And I'm sure there are others which may have taken even longer.  I'm pretty confident that no manufacturer wishes to delay the release of any product on purpose.  Sometimes things just take time.  The real answer is quite simply, learn to deal with it.

• RMweb Premium

The class 85 and 350 appeared far quicker than the 90 has taken up to now. From what I remember the 350 was in the shops within 1 year from being announced give or take a month or two, the 85 probably took a bit longer but at least they were designed, approved, prototyped, reviewed, upgraded if necessary then final production and in the shops in a good decent amount of time, the class 411 4CEP was another one that appeared I think within a year to 18 months.

So the question in my mind is, has production time slipped so badly that models will take anything upto 2, 3 or 4 years to appear.

As has been pointed out the 158 was going to be produced again, that was announced roughly 12 - 18 months ago I think and yet where is it.

So maybe Bachmann have learned from the 85 and 350 that OLE stuff isn't a big seller? It's not difficult to find them at prices well below the RRP.

I bought a 350 when they first came out. (2013 IIRC) It's never run off OLE, but is regularly exhibited as a non-powered unit on a delivery run. I bought a second last year for less than I paid for my first one. 

How do you know how much work had been done before these models were announced? The general consensus is that it can take at least two years to follow a project through. Always easier if you have access to drawings, so more modern stock with CAD drawings is always going to be easier to progress - no need to measure up a prototype, although laser scanning does speed up the process.

The "in" thing over the past 2-3 years has been to announce a particular model to try and prevent others from doing it. However, that process hasn't always worked.

As for the 158, the retooling was announced in 2012... Considerably more than 12-18 months.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1