Bachmann LMS D2159, D2168 & D2170 'Porthole' review

coachmann

I have never used flush glazing, but it sounds like hard work especially when it comes to Windows with sliding vents as on Stanier stock etc. I know some will say it is easy for me to talk because I'm a member who builds in brass, though I have never heard of anyone being born with a soldering iron in their hand.  So I would say it is easier to remove the plastic sides and glue etched brass sides to the roof and ends...... Paintwork courtesy a Halfords spray-can and lining etc via the usual transfer suppliers. Such a job looks far more accurate and often better than plastic RTR, and of course the choice of diagram is yours.

• Like 1

I take your point Larry.  However, speaking for myself I think having an accurate plastic body in hand, even if the sides are a bit thick, makes it worthwhile to add the flush glazing from Shawplan.  Before I switched to 0 gauge, I had collected parts to upgrade three Bachmann PI coaches, including sides to make an all 3rd.

John

The LMS Period II Dining Car was spoiled when one of the inheritors of the molds decided to remove chunks out of the solebars so it could negotiate toytown curves. I saw this RTR model on sale a few months ago from Hornby at around £30-odd quid each. A few years ago a box-shifter sold them off at £12.00 a throw so I bought a dozen or so and used the interiors and 6-wheel bogies to put into production a RTR brass Diner of the same diagram.

• Like 1

The LMS Period II Dining Car was spoiled when one of the inheritors of the molds decided to remove chunks out of the solebars so it could negotiate toytown curves. I saw this RTR model on sale a few months ago from Hornby at around £30-odd quid each. A few years ago a box-shifter sold them off at £12.00 a throw so I bought a dozen or so and used the interiors and 6-wheel bogies to put into production a RTR brass Diner of the same diagram.

IIRC there was a short period of time when these coaches were sold with a spare full solebar underframe.

The Dapol releases were shipped with two underframes.

I had one of the Dapol versions, with the two underframes, in LMS livery, which I traded in when I switched to BR periods. I remember that I didn't buy one when they first came out as the cost was double other coaches, being £25. Strange thing is that the Dapol one and the later Hornby versions that I bought, all had distortions in some of the body panels between the windows, caused by the glue used to secure the windows. I believe that the tooling for this diner was started by Airfix, but never completed/released before they went into administration. The work was picked up by Dapol under David Boyle, as part of the purchase of ex Airfix tooling from Palitoy.

Strange thing with RTR manufacturers......In the days when they hardly produced coaches, they made sure there was a pre-1948 parcels van, a dining car and GW auto trailer. Yet these are the very coaches missing from today's carriage range (except parcels). I think I am on safe ground when saying there is a ready market for the following:-  

LMS Stanier dining car.

LNER Gresley dining car plus open third. 

GWR 1930's Diagram A30 auto trailer. 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Strange thing with RTR manufacturers......In the days when they hardly produced coaches, they made sure there was a pre-1948 parcels van, a dining car and GW auto trailer. Yet these are the very coaches missing from today's carriage range (except parcels). I think I am on safe ground when saying there is a ready market for the following:-  

LMS Stanier dining car.

LNER Gresley dining car plus open third. 

GWR 1930's Diagram A30 auto trailer. 

They should be back of the cue as at least they've been produced before. Now a Maunsell restaurant...that should be a priority.

They should be back of the cue as at least they've been produced before. Now a Maunsell restaurant...that should be a priority.

A Maunsell Dining Car might sell, but they had their halcyon days before the war.  The SR was gradually downgrading its diners even before the war when the need for full meal service was dying out on that particular railway. When war ended, some did go back into service, but others were converted into Buffet Cars and Cafeterias. I think two were labelled Restaurant Cars for certain services until 1960. What is certain is the LNER and LMS had a lot more cars and long distance services where such dining facilitates were essential and expected. A Kitchen Dining Car could be built from existing Hornby Maunsell coaches by fitting etched brass sides and adding detail to roofs and underframes. 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

If, next year, instead of producing a new range of coaches, Hornby produced a Gresley CK, a Maunsell restaurant car and a Stanier III CK to improve their existing ranges - I think a lot of modellers would be very happy.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A Maunsell Dining Car might sell, but they had their halcyon days before the war.  The SR was gradually downgrading its diners even before the war when the need for full meal service was dying out on that particular railway. When war ended, some did go back into service, but others were converted into Buffet Cars and Cafeterias. I think two were labelled Restaurant Cars for certain services until 1960. What is certain is the LNER and LMS had a lot more cars and long distance services where such dining facilitates were essential and expected. A Kitchen Dining Car could be built from existing Hornby Maunsell coaches by fitting etched brass sides and adding detail to roofs and underframes. 

Larry I think you have it right about that Dining Car being done from a 'conversion', as well as other Diagrams for catering cars . However much I would like them, the Maunsell Dining vehicles, although still actually in use in 1961/62 in the Summer on the WOEML, were (as you state) quite 'rebuilt' from the original Diagrams. Therefore I doubt that  there would be enough sales of either the 'original' or the 'modified' stock for production to be viable for the 'big two'. Me buying half a dozen for SOSJ wouldn't help Hornby stay in business!

Bill Bedford (Mousa Models) sides are quite nice etches and I've used some. They need 'forming' of course but seem to fit the Hornby product quite well IIRC. If I could pick up some 'damaged' Maunsells (Hornby, any livery will do, even SR) I would get some stock sorted. However, I am reluctant to take the mini cutter to an off the shelf coach at between £30 - £40 a throw. That's me being a tight wad as well as a coward!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Maroon portholes due July/August.

But we are now in October.

I wonder what price, digging up this old post from 2014...

I pre-ordered five coaches from the well known Sheffield based retailer in March 2012 for £22.50. I received an email about them earlier today:

"These are due into stock within the next week but the reason for my email is to inform you about the price. As you may be aware Bachmann have recently increased their cost prices quite significantly, as your order is now outside our 12 month price guarantee the price will be £31.95 each."

Currently £54.95 rrp, that’s close to double the price in 5 years (original RRP was £28.60), and there are not here yet, so anything can change.

(Next birdcages are listed at £65).

Hobby is going to separate men from the boys soon.

Edited by adb968008

But we are now in October.

I wonder what price, digging up this old post from 2014...

Currently £54.95 rrp, that’s close to double the price in 5 years (original RRP was £28.60), and there are not here yet, so anything can change.

(Next birdcages are listed at £65).

Hobby is going to separate men from the boys soon.

Next year. I assume. It seems only a little while back that Hornby were criticized for slow deliveries. Things change, though Bachmann have always been slow. Edited by davidw

Just curious, but can I presume from this that BR maroon has never been done before on the 'Porthole' stock?  If so, it is a strange state of affairs when they ran in this livery for more years than any previous livery.

Correct. The crimson cream has been about for a number of years. Maroon has been much requested, and I know you have done a repaint. I suspect that Thompson's will be announced in Maroon next year too,  but this of course may mean the following year.

Correct. The crimson cream has been about for a number of years. Maroon has been much requested, and I know you have done a repaint. I suspect that Thompson's will be announced in Maroon next year too,  but this of course may mean the following year.

A limited edition of both of these (subject to prototype) in blue & grey would be a good idea?

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

A limited edition of both of these (subject to prototype) in blue & grey would be a good idea?

Mark Saunders

The Porthole brake second might be a good seller if in blue & grey livery (BR was short of corridor brakes at the time). I saw a good few....They the were an eyesore......A classic vehicle reduced to an ice cream van.

• RMweb Gold

The Porthole brake second might be a good seller if in blue & grey livery (BR was short of corridor brakes at the time). I saw a good few....They the were an eyesore......A classic vehicle reduced to an ice cream van.

We used to get them on the trains via Birmingham. Rode very hard when going down the bank through Betley Road especially on the Slow which was still jointed then.