OO gauge class 59 Diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

From photos I've seen, the Yeoman liveried Class 59s in their early days in service, regularly hauled stone in the 4 wheel PGA hoppers, which Hornby produce 2 types of, the original Hornby version, with access ladders to the hopper platforms at the sides and the ex Lima version, with access ladders at the ends. The ex Lima version has appeared in two weathered 3 packs in Yeoman livery, R6486 which has the blue bar and Yeoman branding across the full length of the side and R 6511 which has the blue bar finishing before the ends. These seem to regularly appear on e-bay. There is also R6534 a single 4 wheel PGA in pristine paint finish, which several are currently for sale on e-bay from £9 to £20 each

Trouble is that the owners are not responding to Dave's emails and he has not made a scan yet. :no:

Scanning is easy, as I have almost immediate access to a 59 to do this.

However, if you cannot get a response from one of the brand owners, then that really does much you up.

There's another problem out there that doesn't affect me on the model that I inow of, which would have helped me if I'd have gone ahead with it.

It's life, and as such you pick yourself up and move on. But like I've said, my backer wanted contractually the model within 12 months and I had everything in place for that to happen.

Ho-hum

Dave

Kick starter on an UN-dercorated Model It would be worth it and sod the others?

I'm not sure mate,

Tempted as i am, (and believe me i know what the specification was for mine) i think its a step too far before the 71 and J94 to be honest.

Once they hit the market, who knows?

cheers

Dave

Ok this is an open Question to those interested if Dave was to set up a kick starter for an UN-dercorated Class 59 moodel after contributing to the program would you be happy to wait for Dave's model after the Class 71 & J94 are on the market?

Responses Below Please?

Additionally, if you do one undecorated model, which variant do you do?

59001-004? 59005? 59101-104? 59201? 59202-206?

There's a hell of a lot of variety on the 59s, even down to "common" parts like the bogie sideframes, air pipe position, doors before you even think about looking at bigger things like the fire suppression kit on the 59/2 under frame compared to the others.

Not suggesting it's economical to offer these details, but hopefully highlights the variety on this small class

jo

Ok this is an open Question to those interested if Dave was to set up a kick starter for an UN-dercorated Class 59 moodel after contributing to the program would you be happy to wait for Dave's model after the Class 71 & J94 are on the market?

Responses Below Please?

Would I like a class 59 done by DJM?

Yes.

But now is not the time for a crowd funded venture, particularly one so full off risk as you are suggesting.

There have been 3 attempts so far at crowd funding a UK model that I am aware of.  1 has succeeded (class 71), one has unfortunately failed (N Great Western Railcar), and one that failed the crowd funding but was close enough that a manufacturer decided to go ahead anyway (N Pendolino).  Not really a great track record.

Then you want people to buy a model that won't have the most popular liveries available as a factory finish, which will have a serious impact on interest.

Do I think crowd funding can work in the future? Yes.

Do I think a crowd funded class 59 by DJM will work?  Not so sure either way.

But for any crowd funding to work in the future I think a couple of things have to happen.

First, the J94 has to be released so the market (specifically the market outside of the people on the forum who know who Dave is based on his time at a former company as well as his commissions) has a DJM model to judge the company on.  While I trust Dave based on what he communicates, as well as his work for others, most people aren't aware of this.

Secondly, the class 71 and and perhaps the Pendolino need to be released (and hopefully reviewed in the magazines) to demonstrate to the wider market that crowd funding ventures can produce a quality product (aka it is worth the risk of paying for the model upfront).  Word of mouth of happy owners can help persuade people who are otherwise unsure.

Once those have occurred then it would be worth looking into a crowd funded model again, though the class 59 may not be a viable candidate given the prior mentioned lack of liveries (presumably the popular ones) as well as the ability for someone else to suddenly announce it and confuse potential backers.

Pity the 59 has not come to fruition, but I cannot say an unpainted version would be of much use. My downfall in modelling is painting and I would be reluctant to start painting a £100 + loco with such a challenging bodyshell, ie ribbed bodyside and then trying to get decals to lie on the ribs. I would need to employ the sevices of somebody who would want in the region of £100 and would probably be in a queue to get it done. Sorry but it's not practical for me at least.

Dave, that's actually a much better idea. Team up with Fox who have the rights to the logos and use their transfers to finish the model.

You never know, in the mean time you might get the license to use them from the requisite businesses.

Guy

For a Class 59.....

1) I wouldn't mind paying for it via a kickstarter

2) If it's unpainted, I'd rather have it like a ViTrains model i.e. with all the detail on a sprue. I think my main problem will be damage whilst removing the detail. If it's sold as a model in semi-kit form I'll go for it. Unpainted motorized chassis + shell as one unit. Detailing, glazing etc. on a sprue.

3) If the basic livery can be applied as per Dave's idea and if he provides transfers etc. I'm surely up for one. But I want DJM to get more exposure first before something like this crops up. Like me, there are many others who had no idea DJM existed. Prior to me joining RMweb I only knew Hornby, Dapol, Heljan & Bachmann for British models.

Such a shame that this project has been stopped, I would have certainly purchased one even though I have very little practical use for it.

I would agree that a 'semi kit' form model, unpainted, would be a smart move, as it would encourage (I hope) people to utilise more skills, especially beginners, in modelling rather than just taking a loco out of the box, running it, and putting it in the cupboard for another day. It also may benefit smaller businesses that offer respray services, and I'm sure Dave could come to an agreement with one ore more and recommend or 'endorse' their services...for a price of course!

This is just my view/understanding, it may be nothing like the kind of operation that actually happens, but I can dream! :yes:

Thanks,

Jack.

Im choking on my coffee here - can we just let this one go? Ive said this on here I dont know how many times, all well and good someone saying they will pay upfront yadda yadda but web forums do not represent the majority of modellers. The reasons for the model not been possible at this time have been made clear yet this is still not good enough for some. Its the way society and business has changed in the last 20 years

I said similar points re crowdfunding on the Pendolino thread and I get smothered by buzzworded jargon which would confuse even Pearson from 'The Thick of It'

Undecorated models dont sell in huge numbers, they are still a niche area of the market, keep in mind there would be 3 different shaped 59's. Modellers would like them, but Mum and Dad wouldnt like to see Little Jimmys face when they realise the 59 they want to get him for his birthday is in a fetching shade of grey and not silver, yellow, blue or red

Some people just dont want to model, they just want to take it out of the box and run it.

There were model 59's available before Limas RTR example and there still will be. Ill admit Im disappointed by the DJ model not proceeding but the Bachmann powered Lima 59/1 on my workbench will now proceed towards completion

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I wouldn't mind un-branded models, as the transfers these days are pretty easy to get hold of, if this project re-starts id be up for that type of option, a shame though, but also my re-powered 59, using Bachmann chassis components will now proceed when time permits

NL

• 1 month later...

I've just spotted these on the Dapol site: all 00, all in tooling and all for release in quarter 2 or 3, 2016. The correspondence to the abortive DJ Models anouncement is not exact but uncomfortably close.

4D-005-000 Class 59 Foster Yeoman "Alan J Day" 59002
4D-005-001 Class 59 ARC "Village Of Great Elm" 59103
4D-005-002 Class 59 DB Schenker "John F Yeoman"
4D-005-003 Class 59 National Power Blue 59204.

I've just spotted these on the Dapol site: all 00, all in tooling and all for release in quarter 2 or 3, 2016. The correspondence to the abortive DJ Models anouncement is not exact but uncomfortably close.

4D-005-000 Class 59 Foster Yeoman "Alan J Day" 59002

4D-005-001 Class 59 ARC "Village Of Great Elm" 59103

4D-005-002 Class 59 DB Schenker "John F Yeoman"

4D-005-003 Class 59 National Power Blue 59204.

Knowing what i know, this doesnt bother me at all to be honest.

Knowing what i know, this doesnt bother me at all to be honest.

Good morning Dave,

We met last Sunday in Fareham...

Glad to hear that your Class 59 is still a possibility. I await future developments with interest. I would also be very keen to see  RTR BBA  and Turbot wagons.

Kind regards

John

• 1 month later...

Archived