OO gauge class 59 Diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

Dave, had an email today cancelling my pre-order (OO) as the Class 59 no longer happening? 

Hi mate,

yes, unfortunately i have had to withdraw from this model in both scales.

Ilve put a full explanation on 'Ask Dave' in this DJM part of the forums.

Cheers and sorry

Dave

• RMweb Premium

How short sighted and mean of the companies not to grant the licence, The Class 59 is a superb looking loco, my instinct would be to produce those that had granted a licence, lets face it ingenious modellers could easily produce the missing liveries on their computer. I cannot understand the mentality of theses companies, its a model locomotive for goodness sake not a rival. Our loss as modellers but the companies have lost out on free advertising. Are you going to name and shame Dave?

• RMweb Gold

How short sighted and mean of the companies not to grant the licence, The Class 59 is a superb looking loco, my instinct would be to produce those that had granted a licence, lets face it ingenious modellers could easily produce the missing liveries on their computer. I cannot understand the mentality of theses companies, its a model locomotive for goodness sake not a rival. Our loss as modellers but the companies have lost out on free advertising. Are you going to name and shame Dave?

I suspect Dapol getting the licence might have been an exclusive deal on those liveries? Certain companies like exclusive deals as we've seen with the Eurostar and DRS's class 68's. It's better than what UP tried in America slapping a hefty fee on top too.

I assume Dave got beaten to the critical person after the reorganisation as he's quoted previously that there was a hold while they were taken over.

How short sighted and mean of the companies not to grant the licence, Our loss as modellers but the companies have lost out on free advertising. Are you going to name and shame Dave?

Not sure that as quarry and building materials company that I would put much value on advertising on a model train. Passenger operators just maybe, but for heavy industrial freight the buyers of the products know the very few suppliers already. Shame that we miss out on a DJM Class 59 all the same.

Whether it's reflective of the owning companies values or not who knows, but Mendip Rail (a joint venture between Hanson and Yeoman, now Aggregate Industries) is obviously proud of it's operation with a display case in their reception with a large variety of 4mm models ranging from steam through Westerns, 56s, through to the modern stuff.

Back to researching my kit bash I go

jo 

It is a shame as it's the only item in the DJ line up that I was interested in. Maybe the 117 but I'm undecided on that yet.

Yep at least Dapol would know the market won't be competitive in OO anymore so I would be suprised if they didn't announce a OO version

Over on mremag Simon Martin is stating that Dapol already held the license to produce the liveries before Dave even announced his model. Is this correct? I didn't think Dapol had announced one before Dave but am happy to be corrected. Also if Dave knew someone else held the license for the livery why even announce one?

More to the point who is going to announce one in OO now?

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Over on mremag Simon Martin is stating that Dapol already held the license to produce the liveries before Dave even announced his model. Is this correct? I didn't think Dapol had announced one before Dave but am happy to be corrected. Also if Dave knew someone else held the license for the livery why even announce one?

Mark

I would have thought Dapol is the obvious choice. If you want an OO one , as I understand they are only doing an N one at the moment, I'd petition them . Sounds like they may have exclusivity on certain liveries, which effectively prevents any one else bringing one out commercially.

What version do you have? There's RTR options that will work with most...

R3041 in Foster Yeoman livery.  Be interested to hear your thoughts as to what should go with it as I've clearly missed something (at least something that is currently available in model shops)...

R3041 in Foster Yeoman livery.  Be interested to hear your thoughts as to what should go with it as I've clearly missed something (at least something that is currently available in model shops)...

Ah, currently available is different. ;)

A mix of Hornby and Lima PGA's would be applicable...Fox do all the right decals if you need to repaint though that can get expensive unless you can find cheap donors...

Mark

Yes this is correct, Dapol announced their 2mm one first on July 18th 2012. I think Dave was still working there at this point?

Unfortunately I can only find pictures of those running behind 56's, not 59's. 

Likewise* - though they were working (see Paul Bartlett's pics) out of Westbury so it would seem unlikely it never happened...

(*Though in a quick search i'm finding more shots of 59s on shed or on railtours than ones showing a freight train so how reflective of reality the images are is a question...photography approaches of the day etc...from that regard a headboard and a rake of blue and grey Mk1s will sort you out!)

Archived