OO gauge class 59 Diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a 59 regularly at Warrington Arpley for the Fidlers Ferry coals.

Cheers, Mike

Until they found out that 60's were better and the 59 was sent back down south........ cue pro-GM froth. :jester:

The National Power 59/2's were originally employed on trains to / from the Aire Valley power stations on coal and limestone duty.

Cheers, Mick

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but I have never really had a huge interest in the 59/66 diesels. What is the main detail differences between them?

They have very little in common. Cooler group, basic body outline, cabside sliding windows are about the limit of common parts from a modelling perspective.

59 has a 16-645, the 66 has a 12-710 engine. The extra 4 cylinders in a 59 is what leads to the larger lift off central body section and the silencer being a lot further towards the cab end.

The 59/1 and 59/0 are largely similar, with main variation being the lights. The 59/2 has a different under frame arrangement due to a different fire surpression system, with some big red tanks present. Of course the real things have many more variations (metal or rubber quarter light surrounds, NRN aerial location for starters!) throughout the class, but this sums things up briefly from a model perspective. I could go on and on here, having walked round and photographed several 59s in detail, but I'll leave it there

jo

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in saying that the 59 is basically a UK-ised SD40 whilst the 66 is a 12 cylinder UK-ised SD70 which would I guess would have been SD69 if any had been built for the US market? If so it tells how far apart the two locomotives are other than a superficial resemblance resulting from sharing a similar body shell design.

59104 worked 75mph trials with Freightliner sets over the northern WCML at the end of July 1991.

59201 and 206 visited Scotland with rakes of JMAs in 1998.

And how about 59104 without name or number working a Derby-Cricklewood test train consisted of Test Car 6 and five Mk3 sleepers in November 1990.

Graham

awesome news Dave. Class 59's being my favourite Class of engine, this is good news :) Put me down for one of each!

Heres hoping the O & K hoppers happen as well. Would prefer the ARC liveried ones, but seeing any livery produced would be good :)

Well, that saves me having to dismantle a 66 to do a pugsy. Has anybody actually told pugsy yet?

Somebody should approach Bachmann to release their freight liner hopper in NP livery with LTF bogies, would be a sure fire seller.

Ps- how about vale of York as the first release? Shorter name is easier to cover, unless yours are coming with etched nameplates/number plates?

Agreed r.e. the national power wagons - rebogied HHA's from Bachmann would be an excellent limited edition (through DJ? or another model shop). Different ends and bogies are the only essential changes (as well as the livery) I would imagine for most modellers!

• 2 months later...

Although not my genre of modelling I will be buying the original liveried model to go in my cabinet.

My sister lives in Yeovil & as a kid when we visited me & my dad used to sneak to Westbury early doors to see foster yeomans as I called them. Looking forward to this along with a whole host of other djm products :D

Agreed r.e. the national power wagons - rebogied HHA's from Bachmann would be an excellent limited edition (through DJ? or another model shop). Different ends and bogies are the only essential changes (as well as the livery) I would imagine for most modellers!

The LTF25 bogies are already available: http://www.shapeways.com/model/355947/ltf25-arc-v0-6-2-pairs-4-bogies-oo-scale.html?materialId=61 and the cast replacement ends have been done too. There's a thread on RMW somewhere showing them all nicely done :)

HTH

Tom

Am I right in saying that the 59 is basically a UK-ised SD40 whilst the 66 is a 12 cylinder UK-ised SD70 which would I guess would have been SD69 if any had been built for the US market? If so it tells how far apart the two locomotives are other than a superficial resemblance resulting from sharing a similar body shell design.

The 59 is, electrically, essentially the same as an SD50, but with the 16-645 SD40-2 prime mover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

Slow progress due to Agg Industries being taken over, and no one being available for permission sign off I'm afraid.

Maybe by Jan or feb 2015

Cheers

Dave

I am slightly glad for the delay - with Bachmann Class 90s, your own 117 (liveries dependent) and this on the wishlist my wallet is up for a right bashing next year. The more spread out they are the better! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether to put this here or on the Hornby thread...

Hornby collectors club magazine (I use the term magazine very loosely)

2 page feature on class 59

"What further versions of the model Hornby produce may depend on the success of a super detailed model being produced by DJ Models, but price may be the determining factor"

How curious ?

1. Surely one of the rules of business is never to mention the competition.

2. Never roll over and die, if you so you're finished.

3. Have virtually no direction with products and others will do them instead. Chronic lack of drive for many years now.

4. Old Chinese proverb says to make money you need to sell, and to sell you need products. Crying over spilled milk now ?

I may be taking this the wrong way, but...... It's madness.

I don't wish to offend..... But come on ....

I wish the DJM products success, it's the keen as mustard attitude that is refreshing...

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure whether to put this here or on the Hornby thread...

Hornby collectors club magazine (I use the term magazine very loosely)

2 page feature on class 59

"What further versions of the model Hornby produce may depend on the success of a super detailed model being produced by DJ Models, but price may be the determining factor"

How curious ?

1. Surely one of the rules of business is never to mention the competition.

2. Never roll over and die, if you so you're finished.

3. Have virtually no direction with products and others will do them instead. Chronic lack of drive for many years now.

4. Old Chinese proverb says to make money you need to sell, and to sell you need products. Crying over spilled milk now ?

I may be taking this the wrong way, but...... It's madness.

I don't wish to offend..... But come on ....

I wish the DJM products success, it's the keen as mustard attitude that is refreshing...

I know what you mean about the references to competitors - I don't subscribe to the Hornby Collectors Club but in the old days the Bachmann Collectors Club magazines were written by a whole bunch of different editors who frequently appeared to write with a style far removed (so it seemed) from the brand values of the manufacturer itself - could be a case here where well-meaning, enthusiast editorial staff are producing Club documents without running past the PR team (just my thoughts).

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony,

Like the N gauge one the OO class 59 is temporarily on hold.

No problem getting EWS & DBS and GBRF licences ( if at a fee), however........ ARC, Bardon, Yeoman, Mendip and versions thereof come under the Aggregates Industries banner.

No manufacturer currently has a licence to produce these liveries until........

The legal department of Lafarge has said yes, and possibly at a fee. Unfortunately no one at A.I. Wants to say yes, because they are in the middle of the takeover, and no one at what will then be the parent company wants to say anything until they have their feet under the table and things have settled down. Model railways therefore come way down on their list.

The 59 really needs to have other paint jobs apart from the first 3 mentioned here as those are the sellers, and I know other people future models rely on having those locos and their respective liveries available.

The new company ( if the takeover goes through) have asked me to wait 6 months before re approaching them, but assure me that the DJModels 59 is the front runner in all gauges for this permission, should it be given.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Archived