OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave - no great rush! But in principle, I would put my sovs up front.

And, on this occasion, I'm prepared to part with some of my cash up front too.

Just found this.

Probably too late to be of any use.

Dave

attachicon.gifscan001.jpg

It appears to be towing an EMU from the horns on the adjacent vehicle................

Here's my twopennethworth.

Not all good shots but may help with the bogies and the roof panelling.

Full res scans are available, of course and I also own the copyrights.

Dave

attachicon.gifScan-150220-0008.jpg

Oooo - I can just smell the brewing hops in the air from Youngs Fullers at Wandsworth (you need to have been to CJ in the 70's to understand)

EDIT - mixing my beer :jester:

Edited by Southernman46

It appears to be towing an EMU from the horns on the adjacent vehicle................

Oooo - I can just smell the brewing hops in the air from Youngs Fullers at Wandsworth (you need to have been to CJ in the 70's to understand)

I think it may have been an Inspection Saloon.

Dave

EDIT - mixing my beer :jester

Edited by dasatcopthorne

Yes, I remember it well. It wasn't every day by any means but once in a while I'd be going home on a 4Sub and it would be a wonderfully warm and tasty smell. At the age of 8 I didn't realise what it was actually caused by...

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens

No one seems to have mentioned on here, the fact that Hornby had a Class 71 in their showcase at Modelrail Scotland.

Is it a kit they have had made up or a pre-production test?

See the picture in post 63 in the Modelrail Scotland thread in 'exhibitions'.

I've order mine so won't be changing.

Dave

On that basis are all the other models on display kits as well? Did anyone suggest that the 3D print of the King at Warley was a model or is this just more sniping at Hornby?

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

I think the smell actually came from Watneys in York road. Wandsworth was a lot less smelly after it was demolished.

Hello all, I've been following this thread with interest. I've never really been into Southern region gear so could someone kindly explain to the uninitiated (me), why the 71's and 74's were scrapped but the 73's were kept? Just out of interest.....

Many thanks

Andy

71: straight electric so not as versatile as E-D types - most of their work dried up or could be easily handled by 73s. Used on eastern section only.

74: had the versatility of the 73s and more power but proved rather very unreliable. Used on western section only.

73: versatile, reliable and more of them than the other classes. Also used region-wide so better known at all the major maintenance locations.

The above may be an over-simplification but is my attempt to sum it all up in a nutshell.

On that basis are all the other models on display kits as well? Did anyone suggest that the 3D print of the King at Warley was a model or is this just more sniping at Hornby?

Cheers

Shane

No point in bringing that sort of tone into this thread.

It's only a straight question, based on the fact that the model was only recently announced and that it seems to have a kit type panto.

Dave

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 1

Small class numbers - effectively non standard...............work starting to dry up

71's electric only

74's amazingly unreliable

Also 73's were without doubt the most versatile engines ever built..................

Wot SRMan said.................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

Hello all, I've been following this thread with interest. I've never really been into Southern region gear so could someone kindly explain to the uninitiated (me), why the 71's and 74's were scrapped but the 73's were kept? Just out of interest.....

Many thanks

Andy

Hello Andy,

The 73's worked ... or is that being really unfair?

Serioulsy, love the 71s (and 74s) - Mr Jones, can we pleeeeeease have a 71/4 in N gauge?  Don't even care if it works or not - so long as it looks good  :-)

Mark

PS - Following this 00 thread with enormous interest.  DJ Models has an extremely exciting forthcoming product range of which this is the most eyecatching (even if there's nothing yet for N gauge BR (S) modellers).  Still ... we can forgive this temporary oversight ....  

Many thanks

Andy

While I'm no expert by any means, I believe it was partly because both the 71's and 74's smaller in numbers than the 73's (71's+74's = 24, 73's = 49)

Yet the 71's (Only 14 by time of withdrawal) could only be operated on routes with 3rd rail, as they were electric. This resulted in 71's having to be detoured to remain on routes with the 3rd rail pick-up.

The 74's, while they had both 3rd rail shoes and an on-board engine, and were more powerful than the 73's, they suffered from electrical reliability issues, as well as unreliability issues when running on diesel power. The diesel reliability issues were why 74's were subbed for 33's on trains to Weymouth, as they were not trusted and the possibility of a blocked line couldn't be risked.

And they were only a 10 strong class.

The small class numbers, meant their non standard designs were uneconomical in terms of maintenance. Whereas both the 73's and 33's were more reliable, even if they were not as powerful, and were larger in numbers.

So when it came to loco rationalising, bearing in mind there were 98 Class 33's built as well, it made sense to dispose of the 71's and 74's.

The control systems of the 74 were quite advanced for their time, one of the first uses of solid state kit in a loco IIRC. When they worked they were very impressive, fast, strong and smooth riding. They were intended for heavy boat trains amongst other things. Subbing for a REP a 74 and an 8TC made for a fun trip. Unreliability and falling boat train traffic were factors in their short existence. In the end there were enough 73's to cover the work. In the excuse for anything department they were even used on a Weymouth parcels for a time.

Stu