OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

On that basis are all the other models on display kits as well? Did anyone suggest that the 3D print of the King at Warley was a model or is this just more sniping at Hornby?

Cheers

Shane

Ridiculous comment. I had no idea about a 3D printed King at Warley and was just offering an answer to the question in this topic. More sniping at Hornby, FFS ...
  • Like 3

Couple of things chaps, why would you mention the fact that Hornby have a model on display in this thread other than to provoke a response? Yes we all know that two manufacturers are planning to release a model of the same prototype, that is something we cannot control. The fact of the matter is Hornby have something to show and nothing to hide. It has a thread of its own.

Yes, manufacturers have used kit built models to show there wares but Hornby have usually shown pre production models it engineering prototypes, Bachmann used to use professionally built kits but have not done so for a while. All of the recent Hornby midels have been either printed samples or early test shots.

I don't feel my comment was so ridiculous. But thanks for your input.

Cheers

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

class 08 D3470 and class 71 E5012 at eastleigh in 1966, pic via colour rail

Dave, is this the proof of small yellow panel you wanted?

OH no forget that, it was red strip and smyp we we discussing

post-1423-0-82960000-1426523090_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikesndbs
  • Like 10

The control systems of the 74 were quite advanced for their time, one of the first uses of solid state kit in a loco IIRC. 

IIRC they had the same issues as the class 50s - the physical construction of the electronics wasn't up to the level of vibration that it got in a locomotive (which is a lot more than had been experienced by previous uses in aircraft or or nice air conditioned computer rooms). So the electronics used to get shaken to bits. 

• 2 weeks later...

So Dave - We are 3 days away from the end of March - is it still the case that pre-ordering ends on Tuesday or will the March deadline get accidently forgotten thus giving those of us who are getting married in June and strapped for cash a chance to pre-order D5010 later, erm, hint, hint.

Secondly - any chance of some Mercig weathering on it at all, erm, hint, hint.

• Like 1

So Dave - We are 3 days away from the end of March - is it still the case that pre-ordering ends on Tuesday or will the March deadline get accidently forgotten thus giving those of us who are getting married in June and strapped for cash a chance to pre-order D5010 later, erm, hint, hint.

Secondly - any chance of some Mercig weathering on it at all, erm, hint, hint.

Well you can always get a D5010 from Bachmann and renumber it, but Dave is doing E5010!

Going off-topic for a mo', most of the first 20 class 24s (as they became later) worked on the SR, although not all at once (usually around 15 of them at any one time). D5010 most certainly did work on the SR eastern section.

Thus, bringing us back on-topic, the early class 24s could be seen side by side with the early class 71s, all in green with no yellow panels at the time in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the posting.
Nope, you've missed nothing.

I know it's a funny way to do things ( get people to give you their money and tell them nothing), but I really need to be keeping the info close to my chest at the moment, for obvious commercial reasons.

However I am very pleased with progress, and I hope I might be able to give some information when certain milestones are reached / passed, in a little while.

Thanks to you and all those sigh ups, that have had so much patience and understanding in this.
Cheers
Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And models of all three by this time next year.

You know we want you to ...

I'm sure that a man of Dave's perspicacity could do CC1 and CC2 from the same tools with crafty use of slides etc, but I fear that the third one was just too dimensionally different.

Kickstarter anyone? :)