Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

12 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Sam Smith's pubs are relatively rare in this part of the world but normally gems when you find them. My favourite is The Swan & Three Cygnets in Durham City. They do a beautiful pint of Tadcaster Lager :good_mini:

Aye, the Swan is good. First place to be drunk dry of draught beer (OBB) during Freshers Week too...

From memory, there was the Adam and Eve in Laygate, South Shields that was a Sam Smiths pub, and I remember finding one in Jarrow, but can't remember the name. I wonder if it's still there?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarkC said:

Aye, the Swan is good. First place to be drunk dry of draught beer (OBB) during Freshers Week too...

From memory, there was the Adam and Eve in Laygate, South Shields that was a Sam Smiths pub, and I remember finding one in Jarrow, but can't remember the name. I wonder if it's still there?

Yes both the one in Shields and Jarrow (The Royal Oak) are still there. The latter is a little 'rough' mind. There is also an excellent one in Birtley too that I have been known to frequent! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MarkC said:

There's a nice old one in North Shields too, not too far from the ferries; maybe the most northerly of Sams pubs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew F said:

There's a nice old one in North Shields too, not too far from the ferries; maybe the most northerly of Sams pubs.

The Prince of Wales... another cracking little pub. Lovely little beer garden for sunny days and a cosy real fire for the winter months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andrew F said:

While were on the North East; Camerons Strongarm is one a my favourites and when in the toon, Mordue workie ticket hits the spot.

I'm very partial to a drop of Workie Ticket too. Keeping the theme, a nice drop of Rivet Catcher is always welcome - used to be brewed by the Jarrow Brewery before they went to the wall but now in the hands of the Great North Eastern Brewing Co from Dunston. 

Tying it back to railways, I am sure it has been mentioned before, but I can highly recommend CentrAle, which is a nice little beer shop on Newcastle station. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Had a cracking day Wednesday with my Wednesday wanderers (4of us) in Wareham & Corfe Castle plenty of Palmers and this I have not had before but very nice in Corfe Club & their Cheese & Onion rolls 

are not to be missed!

20190327_135051.jpg.ccf93926f3b9c9eb128c4730e84b1a87.jpgIMGP3559.JPG.79d920721eed4d445eb5b89ab52c2ed4.JPG 

Edited by MinZaPint
  • Like 4

Lovely club that; very friendly and good for conversation not to mention good value. Does anyone know if anything is happening with "The Fox" pub in Corfe? It would be a shame for that old time warp place to vanish.

2 hours ago, Andrew F said:

Lovely club that; very friendly and good for conversation not to mention good value. Does anyone know if anything is happening with "The Fox" pub in Corfe? It would be a shame for that old time warp place to vanish.

Hello Andrew

also from my Wednesday wander lovely pint of Butcombe enjoyed in the garden, as you probably recall that's where life goes downhill!DSC02048.JPG.ed3c5a43fc8dc79b423db19f1e69fd1f.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's great to know it's open again MZP. Thanks. Beer straight from the barrel. I remember the garden. The last time I was in it, the seats and tables were battling with nature and had almost lost.

Downhill... or uphill to the Square and Compass?   My round!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Granted it's not very high brow and will be sneered at by real ale fans (I don't care mind :jester:)........ but has anyone tried the re-launched Carlsberg? It is very nice and being pushed by a huge marketing campaign and new glasses that look very classy in my local! Very tasty work-a-day pint for a nice sunny afternoon :good_mini: 

27 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Granted it's not very high brow and will be sneered at by real ale fans (I don't care mind :jester:)........ but has anyone tried the re-launched Carlsberg? It is very nice and being pushed by a huge marketing campaign and new glasses that look very classy in my local! Very tasty work-a-day pint for a nice sunny afternoon :good_mini: 

The words "Brewed in the UK" for most Continental lagers/beers is usually a kiss of death for me as the UK brewed version is usually not so good as that brewed on the continent !

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The words "Brewed in the UK" for most Continental lagers/beers is usually a kiss of death for me as the UK brewed version is usually not so good as that brewed on the continent !

Very true. I love my European pilsners but I normally try to stay clear if they're brewed over here. Defeats the object really, it cannot possibly be the same beer given the difference in water etc. 

• Agree 1

Ok, not 'currently' drinking, but on Tuesday night I baked a Tangle Foot (Badger) Toad in the Hole. Both Toad and beer were incredibly tasty, and as the bottle itself says, 'A deceptively drinkable ale.' ;)

• Like 2

Just posted in the Australia thread when chatting about beer and mentioned a couple of books that are well worth a read. Thought it would be good to share here for anyone who is interested. Perfect accompaniment to your pint..... 

I learnt so much by reading this fascinating book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Britannia-Strange-Rebirth-British/dp/1781311862

..... and for something a little more light-hearted: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Sheets-Wind-Quest-Meaning/dp/0330442473

• Like 1

I've tried this (a link directly to Budweiser's website requires an age check, so I've linked to another site):

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2018/11/06/budweiser-reserve-copper-lager-now-available-in-western-canada/

The best I can say about it is that it comes in stubbies. However, it was only available in 12-packs, and so, to quote Magnus Magnusson "I've started, so I'll finish". 

• Like 1

I don't drink much beer these days, seems I'm allergic to something in it(possibly hops but the NHS weren't interested to test it, lack of money probably),but Cider doesn't affect me, now Scotland does produce a bit of the stuff, but it ain't scrumpy. So the supermarkets are my supply and the cans(which spoil the taste)of Thatchers Haze is acceptable, way too gassy, but if you let it stand before drinking, it's quite nice and a suitable substitute for Old Rosie if I have emptied the supply.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Tonight I have a tripel brewed by Adnams of Southwold. A very good interpretation of a Belgian style brew by an English brewery. Surprisingly drinkable at 10% abv.

20190502_220459.jpg.206c71da9f19839afab55b73d5476b46.jpg

Love a drop of Adnams! When I worked in Woodbridge I used to be a frequent visitor to the Adnams shop and enjoyed sampling their range of beers... I spent far too much money there mind and it's probably best for my health that it is no longer on the doorstep! :laugh_mini:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Love a drop of Adnams! When I worked in Woodbridge I used to be a frequent visitor to the Adnams shop and enjoyed sampling their range of beers... I spent far too much money there mind and it's probably best for my health that it is no longer on the doorstep! :laugh_mini:

Adnams is available mail order David. I have a small stock of Tally Ho which is regularly replenished.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Adnams is available mail order David. I have a small stock of Tally Ho which is regularly replenished.

Thanks Mike, that is really useful to know. I'll have a look and order a few different beers as a treat

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2019 at 08:57, tigerburnie said:

I don't drink much beer these days, seems I'm allergic to something in it(possibly hops but the NHS weren't interested to test it, lack of money probably),but Cider doesn't affect me, now Scotland does produce a bit of the stuff, but it ain't scrumpy. So the supermarkets are my supply and the cans(which spoil the taste)of Thatchers Haze is acceptable, way too gassy, but if you let it stand before drinking, it's quite nice and a suitable substitute for Old Rosie if I have emptied the supply.

Way way back in the mists of time, I did some work at the Alloa Brewery and the local hotel where I stayed whilst in the area sold a winter bitter called "Pictish" and a summer version that used a mixture of heather and hops unsurprisingly called Heather Ale. Are they still around?

• Like 1