The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Went a bit upmarket on Saturday night with a meal at Roth's Bar & Grill, part of the Hauser & Wirth complex in Bruton.

Pre-meal beer from a craft brewery I had not come across before: More of Bristol. I had Raw, an unfiltered, unpasteurised pale ale. Very tasty. I think the lager was from the same brewery but sold under a different name.

With dinner, we had some of the first wine from their own vineyard onsite. A Pinot Blanc/Bacchus blend. Nice, with much more Pinot Blanc character, but clearly from vines that need a few more years yet to produce their best grapes.

• Like 2

Best bitter and OP.

And it's not going to be at Black Sheep is it?

Damn, almost guessed at the 'best'! But I will take 50%

Old Peculiar is one of the best beers I have tasted and I think I could happily retire to Masham! (Pronounced 'Massam' as my father-in-law was vociferously reminded by a local last time we visited).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, cider didn't used to attract duty until the 1970s.

But it certainly attracts a price mark-up these days.

A long time ago (when I was a lad), Cider used to be a lot cheaper that beer (and was usually cloudy)

Nowadays most beers are cheaper than cider, which is AFAIK easier to produce.

Keith

• Like 1

A long time ago (when I was a lad), Cider used to be a lot cheaper that beer (and was usually cloudy)

Keith

That's marketing for you.

steve

• RMweb Gold

Keith

Depends what you mean by easier. Beer involves more actions but much harder to get wrong. Also, cider relies on supply of a raw ingredient which is only available for a couple of months of the year. So more capital intensive.

A bit 'off the wall' tonight for a post match beer with a very silly IPA from the Black Sheep brewery at Masham- Monty Python's Flying Circus IPA 4.5%!

post-7305-0-21064800-1533253489_thumb.jpg

I didn't take up the food match though- Bereft of life Norwegian Blue parrot with a wafer-thin mint to finish! Very silly!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very enjoyable BBQ last night at Exton Park vineyard. Apart from some sensational sparkling wines (keep a look out for The Grange which is to be launched soon), the real highlight was an English Pinot Noir which really could have been a good Burgundy. Wow! Sadly, they only made 250 bottles of it.

• RMweb Gold

Today's lunchtime pint (or 2) was Yeovil Ales Summerset. A citrus IPA but not quite so in-your-face as some. They describe it as "tangerine" which is about right.

Venue, a pub that I have passed many times, but never been in to - The Scott Arms at Kingston Matravers. View over Corfe Castle to Poole Harbour is sensational. And a very good range of food too, including Jamaican.

• Like 3

Lunchtime today, had a bottle of Adnams 'Ease Up' IPA, which a friend gave me to try last week. Described as brewed in the 'modern style' and is an American style IPA. Apparently Adnams use the title 'Jack Brand' for their modern recipe brews, hadn't heard of it before. It's brewed with lager barley and a variety of hops, giving it a hoppy flavour with a citrus taste. Could certainly taste grapefruit with hoppy tones. Very refreshing on a hot summer day with the lunchtime meal. Also described as a lower strength beer, what at 4.6%, what do Adnams mean by lower strength!. Will definitely get some more for the summer.

post-13514-0-21903300-1533562007_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-07819100-1533562027_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lunchtime break today at The Drovers' Arms at Gussage All Saints, a community-owned pub reopened a couple of years back. Surprisingly busy on a weekday for a pub in the middle of nowhere which is not very well signposted.

Pint was their own brand, a light session bitter (3.6%). Perfect for a hot day sat in the garden (dog was with me) and only £3 a pint which is a bargain around here.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Old Peculiar is one of the best beers I have tasted ...

I'll probably get slagged for this, but ... IMO Old Peculiar is the Marmite of beers, and I do not like it. I used to live in North Yorkshire (and play football once a season in Masham), and it wasn't universally liked even by North Yorkshiremen! 

When my wife drinks beer, she'll usually have a lager. Several years ago, on holiday in Florida, she had a lager she really liked. We found it also in Georgia and North Carolina, but have never seen it anywhere else since. 

Our son was in New York State last week on business, and saw that beer. So, being a good boy to his Mum, he brought a six-pack home for her. (He also brought a six-pack for himself, but CBSA opened his case and repacked it with a large rock sample on top of the beers, splitting one inside his case, so he's only got five.)

Here's the beer:

post-1771-0-51823400-1535000596.jpg

We have sampled it tonight, and it's as good a lager as we remember.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

I'll probably get slagged for this, but ... IMO Old Peculiar is the Marmite of beers, and I do not like it. I used to live in North Yorkshire (and play football once a season in Masham), and it wasn't universally liked even by North Yorkshiremen!

One man's poison as the saying goes- it's all down to,personal taste so no slagging off you will be glad to know! I make an exception for John Smiths though ;)

Tonight's post match tipple is from Masham - Venus & Mars a very nice Black Sheep Ale!

post-7305-0-44089000-1535059266_thumb.jpg

Edited by 43110andyb

• RMweb Premium

Tried this at my local JDW's @ 4% very quaffable!

attachicon.gif33810068b02928621cdb149f7f0434f89c98ddc31c6f7ae276effee012125103297800fa.jpg

and a minor success managed to get my camera pic to display the right way up!

Since discovering this ale on my first visit to North Yorkshire, in the mid 70s, I have quaffed several gallons over the years and still do at every available opportunity.

Last year in Whitby it was £3.50 a pint.