The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2019 at 19:39, Mark Saunders said:

Personally I would go for removing the ginger and adding shot of Whisky!

I won't keep whisky in the house. Love the stuff, but I'll just drink it.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Enjoyable evening back in Newbury on Friday night at the Watermill Theatre to see Macbeth. Great production as usual there.

Enterprising bar manager had got in a stock of Macbeth by Shakespeare brewery, a brown ale but with just a hint of bitterness. You would think that the brewery might keep an eye on the programmes at theatres across the country to sell their beers to.

Now that's something you don't see much of these days-brown ale. Aside from Newcastle of course.

ISTR there used to be a reasonable selection, even back in the late 80's. You don't see milds much either. The world seems to have gone mad for pale ales. I do like a hoppy ale now and again, but I mostly prefer dark, sweet beers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Now that's something you don't see much of these days-brown ale. Aside from Newcastle of course.

ISTR there used to be a reasonable selection, even back in the late 80's. You don't see milds much either. The world seems to have gone mad for pale ales. I do like a hoppy ale now and again, but I mostly prefer dark, sweet beers.

Sadly no longer brewed at the Federation brewery in Gateshead (Dunston) -but now at John S****s at Tadcaster!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I was in Norwich last January and I found several pubs selling dark mild, it made a pleasant change.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I can remember visiting pubs in the West Midlands where the only draft ales were milds. If you wanted bitter/pale ale, it had to be in a bottle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I went into a pub in Sittingbourne where the single beer tap was for Shepherd & Neame mild. It was an unusual pub, the front room of a 2 up 2 down terrace house. That was in 1976 and the whole area was then being raised for redevelopment.

• RMweb Premium

When I first came to Southampton in '68, having lived in Bedfordshire and Southend, I was slightly confused to hear locals asking for a "pint of beer", when there were two or three handpumps on the bar*. It turned out to be the local term for mild; if they wanted bitter they'd say so. Don't see a lot of mild about now, apart from sometimes in 'spoons.

*Rarely more than three in those days: Mild, bitter and best bitter.

• Like 2

The medication I'm on means even modest quantities of beer give me a king-sized hangover, so my son-in-law took pity on me and bought me a mixed crate of alcohol-free beer.

Highly recommended is the Big Drop brewery's stout and Brew Dog's Nanny State.

And don't you all wish you had a son-in-law who bought you crates of beer?

And on the subject of Mild's now being hard-to-come-by, IIRC the widely-available Bank's ordinary is a mild and in the hands of a cellarman who knows what he's doing is an exceptionally nice pint.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, mike morley said:

The medication I'm on means even modest quantities of beer give me a king-sized hangover, so my son-in-law took pity on me and bought me a mixed crate of alcohol-free beer.

Highly recommended is the Big Drop brewery's stout and Brew Dog's Nanny State.

And don't you all wish you had a son-in-law who bought you crates of beer?

And on the subject of Mild's now being hard-to-come-by, IIRC the widely-available Bank's ordinary is a mild and in the hands of a cellarman who knows what he's doing is an exceptionally nice pint.

I'm a big fan of Erdinger Alkoholfrei, and Weihenstephaner Alkoholfrei. Both available in Sainsbury's.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 23:29, SVRlad said:

Had a glass of Cumberland by Jennings Brewery on Friday evening. A very nice ale, would go back to it again and can thoroughly recommend to anyone. 

Had a few pints last sat at a party in a sports club. This was the first time i've seen it . They had Manns brown ale on the shelf as well.  But i went on Pernod in the end.

• Like 2

After a spree of trying new flavours, I have had a few evenings with the company of some old friends from the Badger Beer range. Fursty Ferret, Blandford Fly and Golden Champion still take some beating.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Sam Smiths Old Brewery Bitter: a great ale from oak casks and the pubs are usually original multi- roomers. Once, I was keen to introduce a Russian pal to this beer but he'd already discovered it and told me the best beer (Sammies) is in the best pubs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

After a spree of trying new flavours, I have had a few evenings with the company of some old friends from the Badger Beer range. Fursty Ferret, Blandford Fly and Golden Champion still take some beating.

I remember trying Blandford Fly last year. Quite nice but it does have a bit of spice in, which I didn’t particularly enjoy. 

Am hoping to do a visit to their brewery during Easter, especially as some relatives live only a few miles away. I’m also planning to cook a Tangle Foot toad in the hole (as seen on their Facebook page), as it’s been ages since I’ve done any proper cooking. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew F said:

Sam Smiths Old Brewery Bitter: a great ale from oak casks and the pubs are usually original multi- roomers. Once, I was keen to introduce a Russian pal to this beer but he'd already discovered it and told me the best beer (Sammies) is in the best pubs.

I am partial to a pint of OBB and when I am in  London, I always try and fit a visit to the Princess Louise in Holborn in. It has been restored to its Victorian splendour with some lovely etched glass screens and as a  bonus the beer prices are great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I am partial to a pint of OBB and when I am in  London, I always try and fit a visit to the Princess Louise in Holborn in. It has been restored to its Victorian splendour with some lovely etched glass screens and as a  bonus the beer prices are great

Certainly, the Princess Louise is a stunning pub. There's the Cittie of York further up Holburn which is also a Sammies pub of unique splendour. The Cheshire cheese near Fleet street?. I can't think of any more in London except the Earl of Lonsdale which is lovely but has/had no hand pulled last visit.

• Like 1

Double Maxim Brown Ale (now brewed in Houghton-le-Spring, I understand) in its modern form, as opposed to being a Vaux Brewery product, is rather drinkable. (Re)discovered it last week when looking for something to go in a beef and ale stew.

Oh, and the two latest offerings from Durham Brewery  https://durhambrewery.com/   are very drinkable - Etienne IPA is good, and Diabolus, which is a rum cask aged stout with an ABV of 11.5% is truly amazing.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MarkC said:

Double Maxim Brown Ale (now brewed in Houghton-le-Spring, I understand) in its modern form, as opposed to being a Vaux Brewery product, is rather drinkable. (Re)discovered it last week when looking for something to go in a beef and ale stew.

Oh, and the two latest offerings from Durham Brewery  https://durhambrewery.com/   are very drinkable - Etienne IPA is good, and Diabolus, which is a rum cask aged stout with an ABV of 11.5% is truly amazing.

Diabolus sounds just up my street!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SVRlad said:

I remember trying Blandford Fly last year. Quite nice but it does have a bit of spice in, which I didn’t particularly enjoy. 

Yes, several of the beers include extra flavours which may or may not be to an individual's taste. Personally I like them but if you are not so fond then the more classical flavours like Fursty Ferret, Tanglefoot and Hopping Hare are great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 21/03/2019 at 16:21, Andrew F said:

Sam Smith's pubs are relatively rare in this part of the world but normally gems when you find them. My favourite is The Swan & Three Cygnets in Durham City. They do a beautiful pint of Tadcaster Lager :good_mini:

Edited by south_tyne

On 21/03/2019 at 16:21, Andrew F said:

One of my old favourite beers, can't find any in Scotland sadly.