Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Had a pint of Theakston's 'Christmas Ale' tonight, I'm not a fan of fruitcake and christmas pudding etc and it has a bit of the taste of those but I quite enjoyed it, nice and warming, went back to Theakston's 'Pale Ale' after though.

• Like 2

In my local Spoons yesterday saw this on the pumps and as I was walking thought I'd give it a try

post-13586-0-44207300-1546010022_thumb.jpg

I really like a dark ale at this time of year and for me this was a corker! Got to go past there again this evening, I can resist anything except temptation!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And perhaps a bit of Brickwoods that encroached from its spiritual home in Pompey?

I'm a tad young to have sampled any but apparently it was mostly pretty dire stuff, quickly dropped by Whitbread when they bought them out in 1971 for the tied estate pubs.

ISTR that Whitbread introduced some demon tech devices into Brickwoods’s brewing process. Like thermometers. It improved the quality no end.

And Brickwoods did some rather nice bottled beers, like Pompey Dark and Little Brickie.

Sherry and I were sampling glühwein in Germany before Christmas, or gløgg as it was called in Copenhagen. A bottle of glühwein from. Lidl in Torquay seems to have travelled well with us to la France profonde, and has now been enjoyed chez nous.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a disaster to start the new year......About 18 months ago I bought a 5-litre keg of Adnams Ghost Ship for an upcoming party.  Sadly, most people were driving and abstemious and It never even got opened, so I put it away at the back of a cupboard and of course forgot about it.  Today I found it again, dusted it down, ignored the "Best before" date (over a year ago), thought "It's beer, it's been sealed, it'll be fine" and poured myself a glass.  Unfortunately it wasn't fine.  That's not to say it's bad, it just wasn't right.  I've put it aside to give it more time to settle and will have a another shot at it, but if that's no better it'll be 5 litres of Adnams down the sink.......

Apart from that, I've been enjoying Oakham Brewery's Citra which is my current bottled session ale of choice.  Hoppy, touch of lemon and grapefruit, not spectacular but really nice.

post-6160-0-41690600-1546368311.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a disaster to start the new year......About 18 months ago I bought a 5-litre keg of Adnams Ghost Ship for an upcoming party.  Sadly, most people were driving and abstemious and It never even got opened, so I put it away at the back of a cupboard and of course forgot about it.  Today I found it again, dusted it down, ignored the "Best before" date (over a year ago), thought "It's beer, it's been sealed, it'll be fine" and poured myself a glass.  Unfortunately it wasn't fine.  That's not to say it's bad, it just wasn't right.  I've put it aside to give it more time to settle and will have a another shot at it, but if that's no better it'll be 5 litres of Adnams down the sink.......

Apart from that, I've been enjoying Oakham Brewery's Citra which is my current bottled session ale of choice.  Hoppy, touch of lemon and grapefruit, not spectacular but really nice.

attachicon.gifcitra.jpg

Usually its only bottled beers that remain drinkable. I still have some bottles of Chimay Blonde with a best before date of 2007! It is still drinkable and tastes perfectly OK, I had a bottle over Christmas.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifcitra.jpg

If it's undrinkable, save it for the slugs!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Franziskaner Weißbier Alkoholfrei is tonight's tipple. Mrs Rodent and I are into that and Erdinger Alkoholfrei.

Might dip into some of my Xmas beer stash later though-a Bath Ales Gem may accidentally spill into my glass!

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:47, steve1 said:

Viking.jpg

One of the mixed pack of six my daughter bought me for Xmas.

steve

I experienced this on my last trip to York. Pretty decent stuff IIRC. I also visited Valhalla, a Viking themed bar which boasted its own micro-brewery and a selection of meads. Had I had more time in the city, my liver would probably have taken issue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brewdog Quench Quake.

This claims to be "bright, zesty and refreshing with a twist of pithy acidity. Aromas of grapefruit and tangerine peel, hints of lime, and a touch of apple pie, followed by flavours of lemon juice, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, and a dry biscuity malt note supporting them. A juicy tartness gives this beer a short and snappy finish".

Well, I'm afraid for me it did indeed have a short snappy finish -  down the sink.  To be fair to Brewdog this was my first venture into sour beers and it'll probably be my last.   I really wasn't expecting it to be as sour as it was - not to my taste at all.

To take the taste away I had, of all things, a glass of port (Dow's).  I've recently got into port again after a lapse of many many years and I'm really enjoying it!

DT

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Enjoyable evening back in Newbury on Friday night at the Watermill Theatre to see Macbeth. Great production as usual there.

Enterprising bar manager had got in a stock of Macbeth by Shakespeare brewery, a brown ale but with just a hint of bitterness. You would think that the brewery might keep an eye on the programmes at theatres across the country to sell their beers to.

• Like 1