The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Tried this at my local JDW's @ 4% very quaffable!

33810068b02928621cdb149f7f0434f89c98ddc31c6f7ae276effee012125103297800fa.jpg

and a minor success managed to get my camera pic to display the right way up!

Managed a pint in the Bay Horse in Pickering last Sunday night, first for a while and really enjoyed it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

and this place, http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/brewdock/

near Connolly station.

cheers,

Keith

I have not been to Ireland for sometime, so no doubt with the proliferation of micro breweries everywhere a few have sprung up in Ireland.

Thanks for the info, though, I shall definitely look into it next time I cross the Irish Sea.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was recently given some miniatures of various whiskies and rums and have been trying them out. One stands out in particular and it is a spiced rum called Kraken. I have seen it on sale in some of the larger Tesco's.

Edited by PhilJ W

I was recently given some miniatures of various whiskies and rums and have been trying them out. One stands out in particular and it is a spiced rum called Kraken. I have seen it on sale in some of the larger Tesco's.

The brother-in-law always raves about Kraken and is their favourite Rum!

• Like 1

I was in Dublin little while ago, and was offered a Dublin Blonde at the hotel, while waiting to be called for dinner. It seemed churlish to decline, although what ACTUALLY happened was that a bottle of a very palatable lager was produced, so it all turned out for the best!

Back in Plymouth and St Austell HSD deserves a mention in passing, a very pleasing pint, especially with a pickled egg! My recollection of “Devilish” and “St Awful Ale” from the 70s seem very much a thing of the past..

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was in Dublin little while ago, and was offered a Dublin Blonde at the hotel, while waiting to be called for dinner. It seemed churlish to decline, although what ACTUALLY happened was that a bottle of a very palatable lager was produced, so it all turned out for the best!

Back in Plymouth and St Austell HSD deserves a mention in passing, a very pleasing pint, especially with a pickled egg! My recollection of “Devilish” and “St Awful Ale” from the 70s seem very much a thing of the past..

Never had a bad pint of anything from St Austell brewery, unless it was at the end of the barrel, but Devenish Weymuff was carp, compared to Devenish Redruff.

Never had a bad pint of anything from St Austell brewery, unless it was at the end of the barrel, but Devenish Weymuff was carp, compared to Devenish Redruff.

I think people tend to forget now, or just not know, how common a “bad pint” was in the 60s and 70s. Standards had slipped; Watneys Red Barrel, Whitbread Tankard and the like were a roaring success precisely because of their consistent standards, compared to “traditional” beers. I remember pints of Greene King tasting as though they had just been pumped out of the Cam or Orwell.

CAMRA did the industry, and the drinker alike the great service of making brewers realise that they had to do better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ithink I would have asked the Dublin Blonde to come back after I had eaten!! :angel:  :angel:

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think people tend to forget now, or just not know, how common a “bad pint” was in the 60s and 70s. Standards had slipped; Watneys Red Barrel, Whitbread Tankard and the like were a roaring success precisely because of their consistent standards, compared to “traditional” beers. I remember pints of Greene King tasting as though they had just been pumped out of the Cam or Orwell.

CAMRA did the industry, and the drinker alike the great service of making brewers realise that they had to do better.

It's not just the brewing process it's also how it's kept and dispensed, if it's not kept cool or the pipes regularly cleaned, it will have a detrimental effect on the beer.

I don't know what Wadsworth, do with their beer, but it never tastes all that good, sometimes I have rejected it, in their tied houses as in a free house.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In our part of the world (Surrey) we had Friary Muck.