Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Summertime Modelling - Does anybody do it?

As it's the Summer months, and lots of people are enjoying the sun, but do any of us modellers carry on working on our layouts, or do what I have done and get outside and enjoy the good weather whilst it lasts?

I will start back working on the layout through the dark cold months in Autumn & Winter in the traditional "Modelling Season"

I'm tracklaying when I get a few moments!

Hard work due to the recent heat and the fact I'm working 6 feet above the floor but it does mean that I only need to give small expansion joints, hopefully come winter, they won't expand too much!

I am a pretty much year round modeller though!

Cheers,

John E.

I'm trying to fathom exactly what is indecipherable about Shortliner's post  :scratchhead:

Agree with Paul C, getting the Halfords and Hobbycraft rattle-cans out and spraying about the garden is a must.  

But this week I find myself in sunny North Devon, imagineering a what-if layout populated by pre-TOPS blue hydraulica exotica, where the promoters of the Ilfracombe line built further round the contour above the town, and carried on to Combe Martin.  Hmmmmmm....

• RMweb Premium

No , I'm Re-modelling the Mobile home, sailing boat, motor boat, garage, garden and SWMBO says I've something to do on the house (and somewhere in between I have to work, to pay for it all!)

The Q

The trouble is there's more to do in the summer. Gardens to water - it hasn't rained for weeks, lawns to mow, holidays to go on, relatives to visit. National trust volunteering is summer only, and, living without streetlights, dogs can't only be walked in the evenings in winter.

But I try...

Dave

Yeah do the modelling sat in the garden! Take the toolbox, laptop and cutting mat out to the garden table and work there.

Though the decent weather does make days photographing the real thing much more tempting on days I'm off work!

jo

• RMweb Gold

Living, as I do, in the Far Northern Land of the Midnight Haggis, my modelling season usually runs from April (Easter-ish) to mid-October - It is too darn cold to be outside, or in the garage, in the winter

terrysoham this post is entirely understandable to me.

• RMweb Premium

I have worked on baseboards outdoors on a nice evening - if it's warm, then the trainspotting security floodlight is quite useful for extending the working hours.

At present, I can sit at my bench in the shed with the door wide open as the evening sun streams in............

Cheers,

Mick

Building kits is an all year round jobpastime so I simply move outside and work on the garden table. Have sunglasses and extension lead so can solder in the sun :keeporder:

The layout(s) only get a look in during the summer either they come out to the patio or get worked on in the garage (in the winter it is too cold)

The only problem with working nights is that I tend to fall asleep in the sun and have to keep the PC in the shade or it overheats. Best time of the year and it is just a shame the weather is so mild. It is never too hot AFAIC and as for watering the garden we had over 2" of rain in the south only last week (or was that the week before)

As someone who works in music education the summer is the best time to get things done. I can sometimes model on consecutive days even if not for very long and as the layout is in a a north facing garage it stays cool and is a good place to go on a warm day. I can also move out doors to work on things or sit at the dining room table with doors open to the garden which can be great too.

I'm trying to fathom exactly what is indecipherable about Shortliner's post  :scratchhead:

Do you use an iPad? Those infernal buttons are so easy to click on the wrong one - the 'disagree' is right next to the 'sympathy'.

Just an excuse offered ... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Do you use an iPad? Those infernal buttons are so easy to click on the wrong one - the 'disagree' is right next to the 'sympathy'.

Just an excuse offered ... ;)

I agree that it is easy to press the wrong button by mistake. It is also easy to check and notice that you have done so, then you can undo the rating and give the correct one. 

I enjoy sitting out on my deck (I live in a condominium so no garden, but a small deck area on the second floor) with my dog snoozing in the sun working on a project and sipping a cold beverage. Bright sunlight assists my failing eyesight, but there are a few drawbacks to alfresco modelling. The heat of a Connecticut summer day can cause problems with adhesives and solvents going off or evaporating quickly. And a breezy day presents serious hazards ranging from the instruction sheet wafting away on a thermal current never to be seen again to small components blowing away.

But I've never subscribed to the idea that this is a seasonal hobby, there's always time to fit in some activity. An hour of modelling on a sunny evening is very therapeutic.

• RMweb Gold

In between working on photos I make models (and run the layouts) all year round.

At the moment I am just finishing an 0 gauge Parkside wagon kit, a Jubilee P.O. wagon pre lettered for Devlins of Granton.

Next up should be some n gauge Swiss buildings.

David

I work nights so 4am is the same wether it's winter or summer! I do tend to do less weekend modelling in the summer, as I prefer to be out on the water during the few days the weather grants us permission. As my layout is in the spare bedroom I'm not really affected by the season, the room is a pretty constant temperature so never uncomfortable to be in there, time is my only limiting factor.

Mark

Archived