Heljan GWR 1366 0-6-0 Pannier Tank

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

I collected my loco, 1368, from Exeter Model Railway shop yesterday. I've finally had time to build a small loop on a cleaned floor and test her out. 

Dave tested her in the shop, but I'm so impressed with the smooth running and lack of mechanical noise. I'm very impressed. 

post-7376-0-19002400-1485113932.jpg

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Has anyone removed the side plates yet? I'm wanting to renumber 1368'to 1369 as the latter had an extended vacation in the West Midlands in the early '60s. Any tips on removal much appreciated!

Thanks

David

I would be interested to see this too.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Having run the loco in for a couple of hours in different directions and at different speeds, I can report that my 1368 runs beautifully. My only complaint is the chemically blackened wheels. The blackening agent wears off onto the track, causing the loco to stall. This isn't the first time I have experienced this with Heljan locomotives - my Class 33 had similar issues. 

Careful cleaning of the wheels using a cotton bud and suitable thinner has been performed twice, with the same application being performed to the track. The result is a very sweetly running locomotive, able to crawl along even on DC. An ideal shunting locomotive.

Highly recommended. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

I'm not sure that the tightness in the wheel side to side motion is due to the cover plates. I removed the brake gear plate and then loosened the inner cover plate screws, however they were not over tightened on my 1368 and it didn't make any noticeable difference to the tightness in the axle side to side movement, particularly in the rear axle. I noticed that the front and rear wheelset axles are within a metal tube that is fitted into slots in the chassis, to the width of the chassis. I'm wondering if the tolerance is a bit too close for this sleeve/axle system. Mine has improved with a dab of oil on each side of the axles and then several side to side movements to get the oil into the sleeve.

I'm not sure that the tightness in the wheel side to side motion is due to the cover plates. I removed the brake gear plate and then loosened the inner cover plate screws, however they were not over tightened on my 1368 and it didn't make any noticeable difference to the tightness in the axle side to side movement, particularly in the rear axle. I noticed that the front and rear wheelset axles are within a metal tube that is fitted into slots in the chassis, to the width of the chassis. I'm wondering if the tolerance is a bit too close for this sleeve/axle system. Mine has improved with a dab of oil on each side of the axles and then several side to side movements to get the oil into the sleeve.

Interesting. Once I'd modified the 1st cover plate I had no problem, but I'll go back and have a look and see if the axles sleeves. It does show that a good model the 1366 almost is! So close to being brilliant let down but a bit of a rush deign job and some dubious quality control.

Luke

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Has anyone removed the side plates yet? I'm wanting to renumber 1368'to 1369 as the latter had an extended vacation in the West Midlands in the early '60s. Any tips on removal much appreciated!

Thanks

David

Are the numberplates fixed mouldings or separately fitted items. 

Moulded on with raised edges and printed numbers (reminiscent of the style used by Mainline range GWR models)

removing them using the isoprop & cotton bud would work and the raised edge would stop the fluid running to the body, but you'd need to file down those plate edges afterwards to avoid a etched number plate sitting out too far.

Edited by adb968008

Moulded on with raised edges and printed numbers (reminiscent of the style used by Mainline range GWR models)

removing them using the isoprop & cotton bud would work and the raised edge would stop the fluid running to the body, but you'd need to file down those plate edges afterwards to avoid a etched number plate sitting out too far.

Thanks for the info. Have had an idea which means no need to remove anything in order to renumber them. Just waiting to here back from the manufacturer in question.

Er yes. I did not want to say so just in case they cannot do it, but thought I ought to hint at something to stop people attacking their model unnecessarily (unless of course they must have proper brass plates)

:) I'd like brass plates but I'd rather use Railtech than try to chop away the Heljan ones. If it does happen then I'm certainluy up for a set of 1368 plates and smokebox numbers.

Luke

• RMweb Premium

In 3mm scale there's a Martin  Finney etched number plate kit; you paint the inside of the plate black, when dry varnish it, and while still wet you drop the digits you want to use onto the plate, position them, then leave the varnish to set (it acts like glue). I believe there's a similar kit in 4mm; Brassmasters have a pick of one, the only peculiar thing is that the digits seem to be blackened. If you can remove the painted bit of the Heljan number plate, you could use a similar technique.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not my scale, but couldn't resist one of these. Seriously impressed. Very smooth, very quiet (once I'd remembered to clean the 00 track I'd dug out from somewhere). Can see a possible issue with pickups not touching the wheel if it moves sideways too much, but generally excellent. At some point must take a  look to see what sort of mechanism it uses.

• RMweb Gold

Not my scale, but couldn't resist one of these. Seriously impressed. Very smooth, very quiet (once I'd remembered to clean the 00 track I'd dug out from somewhere). Can see a possible issue with pickups not touching the wheel if it moves sideways too much, but generally excellent. At some point must take a  look to see what sort of mechanism it uses.

The loco is very sensitive to dirty track! I've also cleaned the wheels a couple of times on mine, removing the chemical blackening which doesn't help the engines performance. Bar that, mine is beautifully smooth. I'm very impressed.

With regard to the pick-ups, I carefully bent them out a bit using a pair of tweezers, which resulted in much better connection to the backs of the wheels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0UxKIK0Mro

1368 running on DC after 3 hours, split over two days, of running-in

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The loco is very sensitive to dirty track! I've also cleaned the wheels a couple of times on mine, removing the chemical blackening which doesn't help the engines performance. Bar that, mine is beautifully smooth. I'm very impressed.

With regard to the pick-ups, I carefully bent them out a bit using a pair of tweezers, which resulted in much better connection to the backs of the wheels.

1368 running on DC after 3 hours, split over two days, of running-in

Kind regards,

Nick

Either that is very silent or my speakers are bust! Impressive.

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested in your candid opinion of this Heljan offering,Robin.Just read Richard Foster's review in the current edition of Model Rail He is somewhat critical and pulls no punches,so a second opinion from an alternative reliable source would be gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested in your candid opinion of this Heljan offering,Robin.Just read Richard Foster's review in the current edition of Model Rail He is somewhat critical and pulls no punches,so a second opinion from an alternative reliable source would be gratefully received.

I think his comment on appearance was pretty fair - Heljan have chickened out on various detail differences although on the 1366 the result is not as bad as the numerous resultant errors that creates on their 1361 if their own photos are any guide.

However one example of  'an engine for all men' comes with those over-emphasised weld seams on the pannier tanks as they varied from engine to engine and were virtually invisible on some of them while more noticeable on others and the arrangement and route of injector overflow pipes were all over the place varying from engine to engine and over the years on the same engine.

Edit to add PS - an official view indicates (in so far as a B&W picture can) that the tank fronts were the same colour as the smokebox door

Edited by The Stationmaster