Hornby king

B15nac

14 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Thanks GB

I have re-read my past comments - I scraped the paint away and a lot lot more!

I came to the conclusion many years ago that a large number of the models that are sold never actually do a day's work.  From what you have said I would suggest that there are a lot of 'faulty' Kings out there. (A bit like the duff motors in the Q6, another topic that has been resurrected).

Go for it, take out loads of white metal with a small scraper (screw driver).  I wouldn't touch the brass bearing.

Cheers Ray

I looked at your pictures from your post, and assumed, visible in the bearing slot, it was just some flash that needed scraping away. I now wonder whether what I was seeing was the result of you digging. I really didn't find the Mazak that soft.

Either way, time for Hornby to fix it, and this is metalic surgery that I am not prepared to undertake.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

R3408 King Edward V GWR green shirt button , R3409 King William lV BR green late crest and R3410 King Henry lll BR blue have all turned into Hattons Spring bargains selling at £129.

I am surprised that they did not sell out as they are attractive models. 

Simply a question of over production before the current Hornby regime got a grip.Too many releases within a short time span.The standard “green” is the issue for me.IMHO the best green version is the gloss finish Locomotion George V.

BR blue much more acceptable.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I suspect the shade of green is actually due to the very satin/matt varnish, rather than the actual shade of green used. The Locomotion gloss was I believe the same base colour but with no white light scattering due to high gloss finish.

Has anyone sprayed their King with a more high satin varnish?

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I suspect the shade of green is actually due to the very satin/matt varnish, rather than the actual shade of green used. The Locomotion gloss was I believe the same base colour but with no white light scattering due to high gloss finish.

Has anyone sprayed their King with a more high satin varnish?

It’s on my to do list for the summer, but After the disaster with the paint on my grange when I tried it before I am a little weary.

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Even with a light weathering the paint job is too light.

1896239772_6022A(2).JPG.7867bb879319947b6d93811ea39e1a86.JPG

I had the same issue with the Hornby Castle Wellington.

Steve Johnson of Grimytimes varnished the loco, which 

darkened the pale green livery considerably.

He then applied a light overall weathering which looks superb.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Spelling
  • Like 3

On 04/03/2020 at 08:49, Ian Hargrave said:

Simply a question of over production before the current Hornby regime got a grip.Too many releases within a short time span.The standard “green” is the issue for me.IMHO the best green version is the gloss finish Locomotion George V.

BR blue much more acceptable.

I agree absolutely about the green. However, I think the blue is altogether too pale; Bachmann’s blue is much better IMHO.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I agree absolutely about the green. However, I think the blue is altogether too pale; Bachmann’s blue is much better IMHO.

OK but remember that BR blue did not wear well in any case.Next up of course is the Lizzie in blue.Be interesting to see how that presents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

OK but remember that BR blue did not wear well in any case.Next up of course is the Lizzie in blue.Be interesting to see how that presents.

Fair point. Would it be reasonable to suppose that if the blue had faded as much as Hornby depicts, it would have started to look patchy?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

Fair point. Would it be reasonable to suppose that if the blue had faded as much as Hornby depicts, it would have started to look patchy?

Difficult one this to say for certain.I should know because my first visual of a King was thus ....Wolverhampton LL in the early 1950’s. ....but even my memory for trains cannot recall the colour  with any degree of certainty.Colour negatives of the time tend to be a bit hit & miss anyway..FWIW I recall seeing in blue ER A1/A3/A4.  LMR Lizzie and Duchess. WR King   SR  MN airsmoothed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Not if Precision paints blue is anything to go by.

2028299100_Img_3706Crop.jpg.70c29e150b4ebeac207e3e1d7b158d02.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Blue used to be a notorious colour for fading - whatever it was applied to.  And that was reportedly one reason why BR abandoned it.   Whether or not it would have got patchy would depend more on the way the surface had been prepared than the colour of the final coat.  And there would seem to be examples that even well prepared surfaces suffered if photos of Caledonian engines are any guide as some show distinctly patchy paintwork on well cleaned engines.

• Informative/Useful 3

14 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

My blue R3410 King Henry lll has arrived.  At first I thought a GWR locomotive that was not green does not look right but I think British Railways blue suits the locomotive. 

I'm unsure.

cot09.jpg

Photo nicked from somewhere on this website. Apologies I can't find the credit.

Although there was comments at the time about wasting a good livery on a lesser engine. 

:P

Jason

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm unsure.

cot09.jpg

Although there was comments at the time about wasting a good livery on a lesser engine. 

Jason

Don't worry Jason - the other side of it was still in a decent livery ;)   And the interesting thing about the SVR's joke paint job was that they actually got the correct colour route availability 'disc' -  unlike the most recent paint job on the preserved engine (does anybody know if it has been corrected since then?).

• Like 3

The scary thing about that is I've got a spare 3717 smokebox number plate left over from the pannier of the same number as there are two in the pack....

I have been tempted in the past. Maybe if I can find another one of those GBL models for a reasonable price. :angel:

Getting back to Blue Kings, I haven't got any locomotives in the early BR Blue. I'm very tempted by one myself. it would look good on a set of Blood and Custard Hawksworths.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Getting back to Blue Kings, I haven't got any locomotives in the early BR Blue. I'm very tempted by one myself. it would look good on a set of Blood and Custard Hawksworths.

Having seen the colour in the flesh myself, I'm tempted too.

DSCN3868.JPG.84d12ffd55199894b498e4cefb32660e.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2020 at 02:29, Steamport Southport said:

I'm unsure.

cot09.jpg

Jason

If that happened today the loco could end up being recalled to the NRM, a Twitter war between parties and a legal dispute.

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

If that happened today the loco could end up being recalled to the NRM, a Twitter war between parties and a legal dispute.

It was getting stripped for overhaul anyway. That was when it went to the SVR for major boiler work. It's first overhaul since it was put in Swindon Museum in the early 1960s.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It was getting stripped for overhaul anyway. That was when it went to the SVR for major boiler work. It's first overhaul since it was put in Swindon Museum in the early 1960s.

Jason

Something also unlikely to happen with most NRM locos in the future, including recently operational ones, and most of the diesel fleet, like recently overhauls like 55002 and HST, indeed iirc 3717/3440 was stood down with years left on its last ticket.

Edited by adb968008

On 09/03/2020 at 15:26, adb968008 said:

Something also unlikely to happen with most NRM locos in the future, including recently operational ones, and most of the diesel fleet, like recently overhauls like 55002 and HST, indeed iirc 3717/3440 was stood down with years left on its last ticket.

Restored in 2004, withdrawn with boiler issues in 2013, after a late 2011-2012 gap for tube repairs (according to 3440's Wikipedia entry). I would hardly call this 'years left'